Author Topic: Does 4 in a row matter to anyone?  (Read 5815 times)

Does 4 in a row matter to anyone?
« on: April 28, 2017, 11:44:16 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
If we win tonight we will have won the last 4 games against the Bulls. I know it's not a sweep, but does anyone count it like one? Does winning 4 in a row after a loss or 2 impress you more than a choppy back and forth series?

I think winning 4 in a row in the playoffs is impressive, no matter when you do it. Obviously we didn't sweep the Bulls, but if we win tonight it's pretty dang close in my mind.

Re: Does 4 in a row matter to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 11:45:59 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Definitely impressive. The Bulls are a troublesome match up for us, Rondo or no Rondo. To win 4 on the trot against them is a big achievement in my eyes. If we do manage it then it'll be a big momentum boost going into the next series.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It'd be a series won. 

I don't care how you get there.  Sweep, coming back down from 0-2, whatever.  Winning a series would be a big achievement for this group.  Monkey off the back of Brad too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Bulls were not your typical 8-seed.  They were 10-5 on the year against us, Cleveland, Toronto, Golden State, and San Antonio.  They get up for the big games, and would have been seeded much higher if they showed up every night.  Hopefully we finish them off tonight, but I don't want to get over-confident.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not really for me .  I only think about the series.

The team won more games 50'plus , ,  achieved 1St seed .  Milestones for this CBS regime. Now finally lead in a series .

For me, the prize this team as built , The minimum goal was to get out of the first round. .....to win any playoff series ....get CBS and the rookies hooked on winning it all. Next year I hope to expect more.

Winning tonight is about getting further than last year .  Getting the monkey off their backs exceeding last years team .

Making it t the second round is a must .  Anything more wins is just gravy .  There is work to do on the team before we can win a finals series against the top teams .  But advancing at least one round is improvement .

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
With this particular team I think it'd be most impressive, if we win tonight, that 3 of the 4 wins came in Chicago. I think that's an achievement for anyone. I have to agree it's time we got out of the 1st round, and I personally think this bulls team was the worst matchup for us anyone. I hope we close it out tonight!

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It absolutely does. Most people, myself included, had this team dead when they went down 0-2.
Going from 0-2 to a "sweep" is a huge confidence booster, we go from being known as the "Weakest" one seed of all time to simply the one seed in the East.

To me tonight is a must win, the team needs rest and they need to continue to ride the wave they're on.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It'd be a series won. 

I don't care how you get there. 
Sweep, coming back down from 0-2, whatever.  Winning a series would be a big achievement for this group.  Monkey off the back of Brad too.
Yup.  The 'sweep' is not that impressive except that 3 of the 4 wins were on the road, as JohnBoy points out.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 12:14:18 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
It absolutely does. Most people, myself included, had this team dead when they went down 0-2.
Going from 0-2 to a "sweep" is a huge confidence booster, we go from being known as the "Weakest" one seed of all time to simply the one seed in the East.

To me tonight is a must win, the team needs rest and they need to continue to ride the wave they're on.

Unfortunately if Washington wins tonight I think Game 1 of the semis is Sunday. Not much rest for us.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Unfortunately if Washington wins tonight I think Game 1 of the semis is Sunday. Not much rest for us.

Has the second round schedule been announced yet? Not sure how that is justifiable if the Cavs and Raptors play Monday night considering Toronto played yesterday and Cavs series was over a week ago.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:21:29 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Definitely shows they have a lot of heart and believe in themselves and eachother. They could have packed it in but they willed themselves back which is great to see. That is definitely compounded by the fact they have done most of the work on the road.

Its obvious the first two games the team was pressing in front of the home crowd and pretty effected by the IT family stuff. Back on track, I expect an easy game for the C's tonight.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I will be impressed. However, I would like to know what the biggest difference was between losing the first two and the potential 4 in a row. Was it Chicago not being the same team without Rondo. I know Rondo wasn't a big part of their team this year, so was Chicago playing above their ceiling in games 1 and 2? I remember prime time Rondo being totally different from regular season Rondo. Or was the biggest difference coming from the Celtics perspective. It seems to me, games 1 and 2 had a sense of dread looming over them from the shock of Thomas' sister, that resonated from the Celtics. The team didn't seem to know how to react and play, while still feeling sympathy for Thomas. Since then, it seems like Isaiah has his feel good attitude back and the team is just back to playing basketball. An this is the team we have watched all year and that clawed their way to the #1 seed.

So if the Rondo reason is true, then I'm not liking our chances for the next round. However, if the second reason is true, I would be vey confident in making the Eastern Conference Finals.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Not really for me .  I only think about the series.

The team won more games 50'plus , ,  achieved 1St seed .  Milestones for this CBS regime. Now finally lead in a series .

For me, the prize this team as built , The minimum goal was to get out of the first round. .....to win any playoff series ....get CBS and the rookies hooked on winning it all. Next year I hope to expect more.

Winning tonight is about getting further than last year .  Getting the monkey off their backs exceeding last years team .

Making it t the second round is a must .  Anything more wins is just gravy .  There is work to do on the team before we can win a finals series against the top teams .  But advancing at least one round is improvement .

Agreed.
First goal was to not get swept in the playoffs like in prior years. Done.
Next goal was to advance to 2nd round. Fingers crossed.
Future goal is to contend. We are not there yet, but headed in the right direction.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I will be impressed. However, I would like to know what the biggest difference was between losing the first two and the potential 4 in a row. Was it Chicago not being the same team without Rondo. I know Rondo wasn't a big part of their team this year, so was Chicago playing above their ceiling in games 1 and 2? I remember prime time Rondo being totally different from regular season Rondo. Or was the biggest difference coming from the Celtics perspective. It seems to me, games 1 and 2 had a sense of dread looming over them from the shock of Thomas' sister, that resonated from the Celtics. The team didn't seem to know how to react and play, while still feeling sympathy for Thomas. Since then, it seems like Isaiah has his feel good attitude back and the team is just back to playing basketball. An this is the team we have watched all year and that clawed their way to the #1 seed.

So if the Rondo reason is true, then I'm not liking our chances for the next round. However, if the second reason is true, I would be very confident in making the Eastern Conference Finals.

I'd say it's a combo effect. 

Though I think the chances of them winning with a focused Isiaah vs Rondo are greater than those of them being unfocused and defeating a Rondo-less Bulls. 

Who knows?  Just glad they're in position to move on with one more solid performance.

I really like the way they won in Game 5.  When the shots start falling they'll romp on the Bulls.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Has the second round schedule been announced yet? Not sure how that is justifiable if the Cavs and Raptors play Monday night considering Toronto played yesterday and Cavs series was over a week ago.

If Celtics win Game 6 and Wizards win Game 6, then East-Semis between Celtics and Wizards start THIS Sunday. Cavs/Raptors start on Monday.

If Celtics win Game 6 and Hawks win Game 6, and if either Hawks/Wizards win Game 7...then I believe East Semis between Celtics-Hawks/Wizards start on Tuesday.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)