Author Topic: Start Gerald Again, Game 6?  (Read 1241 times)

Start Gerald Again, Game 6?
« on: April 28, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
3 starts for Gerald and 3 wins. He brought great energy to the starting lineup, especially games 3 and 4. But game 5 he only played 12 minutes and was 1/3. Should he start again in game 6?

I don't think we go back to Amir but if Stevens wants to stay small and goose the energy for the starters again he might swap in Jerebko or even Jaylen. I know Jaylen has barely played (a DNP in game 5) but I don't think that's any crazier of a notion that starting Gerald was in game 3.

Should Stevens change it up or stick to what's been working, assuming Gerald will play a little better than he did in game 5?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Start Gerald Again, Game 6?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:06:35 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
3 starts for Gerald and 3 wins. He brought great energy to the starting lineup, especially games 3 and 4. But game 5 he only played 12 minutes and was 1/3. Should he start again in game 6?

I don't think we go back to Amir but if Stevens wants to stay small and goose the energy for the starters again he might swap in Jerebko or even Jaylen. I know Jaylen has barely played (a DNP in game 5) but I don't think that's any crazier of a notion that starting Gerald was in game 3.

Should Stevens change it up or stick to what's been working, assuming Gerald will play a little better than he did in game 5?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The team has done well with Green in the starting lineup, so keeping him there makes the most sense. Going into the Green experiment, everyone knew that Green was inconsistent. Yes, there's a chance that Bad Green shows up, but that's the risk you take. If he plays poorly, then you don't play him many minutes, but if he gets hot we could put the game away early.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
The bigger question is what happens with the starting lineup in the next round, when Green can't camp out on the 3-point line guarding Mirotic?

Amir is a better player than Gerald Green, and the team had good numbers with him in the lineup. Does he go back in against a bigger team? Little surprised that his minutes have gone to zero. Does KO finally get a chance to start?

Yes, Green gave the Green a little unexpected jolt when they needed it, but I have absolutely no faith that he makes them better going forward.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:31:30 AM by JumpingJudkins »

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I works when he starts, it doesn't when he's on the bench. Why change ? What will you say about Brad Stevens if he sits Green for the start and we lose the game ?

And I don't think playing Jaylen instead would be a gift to Jaylen. The guy didn't play for 2 games, he is a rookie and you would throw him in the fire of a game 6 in Chicago ? that's too much too ask and way too much pressure on his young shoulders.

Start Green. He will bring energy and scoring. If things go wrong (But I don't see how, since Rondo is still out and Butler injured), then adapt and make changes during the game.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:24:57 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The bigger question is what happens with the starting lineup in the next round, when Green can't camp out on the 3-point line guarding Mirotic?

Amir is a better player than Gerald Green, and the team had good numbers with him in the lineup. Does he go back in against a bigger team? Little surprised that have minutes have gone to zero. Does KO finally get a chance to start?

Yes, Green gave the Green a little unexpected jolt when they needed it, but I have absolutely no faith that he makes them better going forward.
With Gortat and Morris, I wouldn't be surprised if Brad went back to Amir, if only to  bang around with Gortat so Horford doesn't have to do it all game. But I'm not sure how mobile Markieff Morris is. Maybe think about Jerebko if neither can cover him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I'd be tempted to start Marcus...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:29:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Amir is a better player than Gerald Green, and the team had good numbers with him in the lineup. Does he go back in against a bigger team? Little surprised that have minutes have gone to zero. Does KO finally get a chance to start?

With Gortat and Morris, I wouldn't be surprised if Brad went back to Amir, if only to  bang around with Gortat so Horford doesn't have to do it all game. But I'm not sure how mobile Markieff Morris is. Maybe think about Jerebko if neither can cover him.
We'd most likely be starting Jerebko with Horford, Morris is quick for PFs
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:40:32 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
This is a great video that explain why Amir is benched.
The reason is spacing with another shooter. It could have been Jaylen or Jonas starting, but I believe Brad trust Green and his vet experience for the playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-s9-QnAP3E

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:49:22 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I'd keep Green in there and even consider starting Jonas at the 4 over Crowder, who has been wildly inconsistent on the offensive end.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he may throw a wrench in the Bull's plan and make an adjustment.  Keep them guessing!  If they are busy reacting, they can't be attacking...

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:03:22 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You stick with him in the starting lineup, if we get off to a slow start like in game 5 then you sub him out. When it works we jump out to double digit leads so its a good strategy.

For next round I think we just revert to Amir again. Against Washington it makes more sense, Gortat is less physical than Lopez so Amir won't struggle as much.

As for Brown I think he'll get another chance next round, Washington is a better match up for him and a worse one for Green/Rozier. But when given the chance he'll have to take it because we will be going into that series intending to win it not develop a player in a losing effort. Jaylen I'm sure understands and agrees with that so I expect him to do all he can to earn those minutes.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Yes.

Gerald seems to shine every other game so he's due again this evening. The Cs probably will need the upfront energy. They're gonna win tonight but it won't be easy.

I agree with you about Jerebko. I'm surprised he hasn't been used more. Something good happens every time he sees the floor.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
At this point, Gerald is nothing more than a good luck charm. After Rondo went down, I think any player on our roster could have had the same effect. It's not that he's a horrible player, but Amir and Jaylen have gotten consistent run all year. It just seems weird to give the multiple DNPs now.

Whatever, though, I guess. As long as we make it to the next round, I will be happy. I just hope people don't remember it being Green who saved the day with Amir/Jaylen laying eggs. The first couple of games had a different complexion because of IT/Rondo. Now the Cs are just back to running the game as normal.