Author Topic: Do you think the Brooklyn picks actually make DA's job harder?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I absolutely do.
The problem is they're  too dang valuable, therefore, Danny can't swing normal trades without being hassled about the picks from opposing gm's (as they should ask for them).

I think it's possible the Brooklyn aspect is what kept the Celtics from being able to acquire someone like Noel or maybe even Cousins.  If the picks had been low lottery as opposed to high, perhaps Danny parts with one for someone like Nurkic at the deadline, who knows?
Maybe Boston could have swung a trade for Jokic in the beginning of the season when Denver was on the fence about him and Nurkic?  You throw a projected #8 pick plus a 2018 C's first rounder plus Memphis pick and see if you shake him loose??

Having such gem picks is nice, but maybe Danny will be glad once they are exhausted, whaddyathink?  Am I smoking prarie dust or is this a real hinderance for DA?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:07:29 PM by SuddenFame »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
No. Having more assets is never a hindrance.  Teams aren't going to accept less from Team A than the Celtics offered just because the Celtics could have offered a Nets pick.

Being rich isn't harder than being poor, even if people sometimes try to get you to pay more for things
I'm bitter.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would rather have them, than not have them.  I am sure Ainge feels the same though he has some pressure on him to make a solid pick and deliver the goods.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I absolutely do.
The problem is they're  too dang valuable, therefore, Danny can't swing normal trades without being hassled about the picks from opposing gm's (as they should ask for them).

I think it's possible the Brooklyn aspect is what kept the Celtics from being able to acquire someone like Noel or maybe even Cousins.  If the picks had been low lottery as opposed to high, perhaps Danny parts with one for someone like Nurkic at the deadline, who knows?
Maybe Boston could have swung a trade for Jokic in the beginning of the season when Denver was on the fence about him and Nurkic?  You throw a projected #8 pick plus a 2018 C's first rounder plus Memphis pick and see if you shake him loose??

Having such gem picks is nice, but maybe Danny will be glad once they are exhausted, whaddyathink?  Am I smoking prarie dust or is this a real hinderance for DA?

I think "dust", but not prairie.

And you can blame the BK picks' value for hindering us from getting Noel/Cousins.

I blame Stevens.

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I absolutely do.

Yes the prairie dust has gotten to your brain. 

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
No. Having more assets is never a hindrance.  Teams aren't going to accept less from Team A than the Celtics offered just because the Celtics could have offered a Nets pick.

Being rich isn't harder than being poor, even if people sometimes try to get you to pay more for things

You make a good point, but the problem really lies in this years assets.
The swap is really the fly in the ointment, if you will.  Feast or famine with such a high pick.
Made it impossible to get involved in something like the Nurkic trade. That would'a been a longshot anyway since Denver was so high on Plumlee, but nevertheless, the high nature of the pick made it prohibitive.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:06:16 PM by SuddenFame »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
I absolutely do.

I think "dust", but not prairie.

And you can blame the BK picks' value for hindering us from getting Noel/Cousins.

I blame Stevens.

Hot Take ! !  :o

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
LOL.  His "job" is to make us a championship contender.  Worst case scenario he gets some talented players.  So NO, they do not make his job harder.

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
LOL.  His "job" is to make us a championship contender.

Yeah, I'm well aware of what his "job" is . . . thanks for the solid info.  Thank god you put it into quotations or I would've been really confused.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I don't think the OP meant his job is harder making the team better, but that it is possible that it is harder to have a legitimate discussion about players without the opposition going in saying "get one of the Brooklyn picks"

Re: Do you think the Brooklyn picks actually make DA's job a little harder?
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 08:19:37 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

I don't think the OP meant his job is harder making the team better, but that it is possible that it is harder to have a legitimate discussion about players without the opposition going in saying "get one of the Brooklyn picks"

Thank You

Re: Do you think the Brooklyn picks actually make DA's job harder?
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

When were the Nuggets on the fence on Jokic?

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 10:04:03 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I remember Felger and Mazz talking ad nauseum about how the #3 pick was worthless because it might only be able to bring the Cs Jokic or Nurkic. I realize they don't know anything and, no, I definitely don't watch or listen to them, but that is really all I remember of Jokic's name.

And I sort-of agree with the OP. Obviously it is great to have such prime assets, but the Cs have been swimming in high picks (and mid-picks) and good young players. Other teams are probably being unreasonable. Didn't something to this effect happen with PJ Tucker or am I just remembering an opinion on a thread?

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

Yeah, I think Danny wanted to swing some deals this year but my gut tells me the other gm's were being unreasonable, just because of those picks.
I remember Felger and Mazz talking ad nauseum about how the #3 pick was worthless because it might only be able to bring the Cs Jokic or Nurkic. I realize they don't know anything and, no, I definitely don't watch or listen to them, but that is really all I remember of Jokic's name.

And I sort-of agree with the OP. Obviously it is great to have such prime assets, but the Cs have been swimming in high picks (and mid-picks) and good young players. Other teams are probably being unreasonable. Didn't something to this effect happen with PJ Tucker or am I just remembering an opinion on a thread?

Yeah, I think Danny wanted to swing some deals this year but my gut tells me the other gm's were being unreasonable, just because of those picks.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

When he started the year on the bench...?