Author Topic: David Stern: "Shame on the Brooklyn Nets!"  (Read 4584 times)

David Stern: "Shame on the Brooklyn Nets!"
« on: April 27, 2017, 01:56:32 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/david-stern-says-shame-brooklyn-nets-resting-players-hes-spot-212307307.html

Love the irony of this article.

First, David Stern calling shame on anybody?

Second, shame on the Nets? Half the teams in the NBA did the same thing and, while most of them were playoff-bound, the Nets had nothing to play for, so why risk injuries? "They broke the pact [with the fans]." The pact? Is that like the NBA version of "the shield?"

And third, if you're going to call shame on the Nets for anything, I believe that a certain trade that they made a few years ago is the far more shameful act.

But the whole article was worthwhile for the quote from the founder of the TP. Stern on Tommy:

" I think I was listening to [Boston Celtics TV commentator] Tommy Heinsohn that night, saying, ‘What, are they resting them to give them strength to empty their lockers?"

Mike

Re: David Stern: "Shame on the Brooklyn Nets!"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I tend to agree with him, it's ridiculous to rest your best players in Game 82 when you know none of them will be playing an NBA game again until October and you don't even have anything to gain in terms of draft position.

Teams should have a lot of leeway to decide when to rest their players, but I think there should be some consideration for the product on the floor.  Resting your players just because you want to give them a head start on their summer vacation isn't really justified, if you ask me.  The least the Nets can do is put out the best team they can for the fans who are still bothering to watch at this point.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I tend to agree with him, it's ridiculous to rest your best players in Game 82 when you know none of them will be playing an NBA game again until October and you don't even have anything to gain in terms of draft position.

Teams should have a lot of leeway to decide when to rest their players, but I think there should be some consideration for the product on the floor.  Resting your players just because you want to give them a head start on their summer vacation isn't really justified, if you ask me.  The least the Nets can do is put out the best team they can for the fans who are still bothering to watch at this point.

I tend to agree, but can you imagine if Brook Lopez tore his ACL in Game 82?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

why is game 82 more relevant than game 65. This team was never going anywhere. They were eliminated from the playoffs with 20 games to go.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

But you can make that argument at really any time right? What if he tears it in the gym in an optional lifting session? What if he tears it in an exhibition game? I can see not wanting to play him 35 minutes, but I would have to imagine some fans would like to see their favorite players at least make a cameo and get a nice hand from the crowd. If a freak injury happens in him playing for 15 minutes you can't really do anything about it. One could also point out that all of the Nets games were meaningless from about January 15th on.

This is particularly true if it is the last home game for a long tenured player like Brook who may depart the team after nearly a decade with the team this offseason. Kind of a crappy thing to do for what they are selling off as an NBA game.

That being said, a lot of teams did this and it does seem to be getting out of control. The suns spent the last 3 months of the season not playing the best center on their roster. They didn't play their best overall player the last few weeks (Bledsoe). I honestly don't know what the NBA can do to stop this though.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Maybe we'll get lucky and the Cavs will rest LeBron if we play them.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

why is game 82 more relevant than game 65. This team was never going anywhere. They were eliminated from the playoffs with 20 games to go.

Because Lopez has higher trade value if he plays close to a full season. And if he gets hurt earlier in the season, he has more time to recover (his trade value) before BKN tries to move him.

By the end of the season he's shown he can play at a high level for 70+ games, at which point the  risk/reward of playing in the last few games goes completely negative. 

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I think Stern is just angry that the Nets are putting the Lakers' 2017 and 2019 picks at risk.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

But you can make that argument at really any time right? What if he tears it in the gym in an optional lifting session? What if he tears it in an exhibition game? I can see not wanting to play him 35 minutes, but I would have to imagine some fans would like to see their favorite players at least make a cameo and get a nice hand from the crowd. If a freak injury happens in him playing for 15 minutes you can't really do anything about it. One could also point out that all of the Nets games were meaningless from about January 15th on.

This is particularly true if it is the last home game for a long tenured player like Brook who may depart the team after nearly a decade with the team this offseason. Kind of a crappy thing to do for what they are selling off as an NBA game.

That being said, a lot of teams did this and it does seem to be getting out of control. The suns spent the last 3 months of the season not playing the best center on their roster. They didn't play their best overall player the last few weeks (Bledsoe). I honestly don't know what the NBA can do to stop this though.

Maybe penalize the team by 1 or 2 positions in the draft?
Nothing you can do about Nets, but at least the Nets played 81 competitive games, unlike Phoenix and Lakers.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Nobody has said this yet, but this is further proof that New York city David Stern hates Boston!

He's p---ed the Celtics are getting a guaranteed top four pick in a draft with four awesome players!

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Nobody has said this yet, but this is further proof that New York city David Stern hates Boston!

He's p---ed the Celtics are getting a guaranteed top four pick in a draft with four awesome players!

We already had that locked down before the last game, which is what Stern's complaining about.

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Maybe penalize the team by 1 or 2 positions in the draft?
Nothing you can do about Nets, but at least the Nets played 81 competitive games, unlike Phoenix and Lakers.

Yeah I forgot about some of the things the Lakers did when I was thinking about the Suns. Mosgov probably does not make a difference, but Deng was definitely a better player than Ingram and they just completely benched him. They also sat Nick Young randomly and did some weird stuff with Russell and Randle while insisting on playing Artest entire 4th quarter. I wonder if this is all bluster or something may actually happen.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

TP for FWF for continuing to be a voice of reason on this board.

We already had that locked down before the last game, which is what Stern's complaining about.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 04:16:10 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

My thoughts precisely. Stern's a NY guy, hates Boston, and can't stand seeing a fairly rich team get richer, especially because of a NY team's incompetence.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Stern is really obscuring the bigger problem, which is resting guys with weeks to go so that a team can tank. The one thing you can state unequivocally about the Nets: They did not tank.