Poll

is Al worth the max contract if he plays like this throughout the playoffs?

Yes
64 (94.1%)
No
4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Al Horford averaging 15 points, 6 assists, 9.5 rebounds in this playoff series.  (Read 13542 times)

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
15/6/9.5 is very good but that isn't a max contract level of stats.

6 assists from a center is insane. People lost their mind a few years ago when Gasol had 4 a game for a season.

Never mind centers, here's the entire list of players who have averaged 15/9.5/6 over a season.

Wilt
Oscar
Bird
KG
Westbrook
Magic
Grant Hill
Detlef Schrempf
Maurice Stokes

Horford is not doing it over the course of a season, obviously, but to suggest that statline is unimpressive is patently absurd.

Great words from a great man

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

In a vacuum, sure, but when you consider his other impacts that go beyond his individual statistics - he's absolutely worth it, especially given how many excellent contracts we already had at the time.

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

In a vacuum, sure, but when you consider his other impacts that go beyond his individual statistics - he's absolutely worth it, especially given how many excellent contracts we already had at the time.

People will argue that Horford doesn't deserve a max yet say someone like Drummond is a no-brainer max because he looks imposing and gets lots of rebounds.  Finesse bigs get no love.

Great words from a great man

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's been great.

Tough to watch the last 3 games of this series and come away with any other conclusions.  He's doing the stuff the Celtics paid him to come to town to do.    Problem is that he's not "flashy" enough for some people and plenty of area media who only started paying attention to this team about a week & a half ago.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

It's what KG from '10-14 was putting up.
Horford right now is about as good as '10-14 KG.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Absolutely worth the max. Glad he's on our team.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He's been great.

Tough to watch the last 3 games of this series and come away with any other conclusions.  He's doing the stuff the Celtics paid him to come to town to do.    Problem is that he's not "flashy" enough for some people and plenty of area media who only started paying attention to this team about a week & a half ago.

Or young enough for the fans who won't be happy until the Celtics roll out a starting 5 of all teenagers.

Horford has been a beast. I, too, am glad to have him.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
It's great that he can create his own offense. Just wish the Celtics would run more plays where they pick the player guarding him. So, he can get an open for jumpers 15 feet out. Too often he has to back the player guarding him into the hoop. If the Celtics get to the next round this strategy will be harder against more physical players.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The same people who are calling Horford an "overrated bum" will defend Conley for his 5/150M contract...  ::)

Conley is having a tremendous post season also (24/7/4), but he plays a much different position than Horford.

W/o Horford these last three games, this series is probably over tbh. He did have an exceptional Game 1 too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
I find it hard to answer with a simple Yes/no to the question.

His stats are good and I must admit I feel good when I see him stepping on the floor. I believe he truly makes a great defensive job and has the mindset to just facilitate for others.

But this last thing makes me think almost playing the team card too much. In this roaster at least, he must realize sharing and passing shots is not always the solution. He should shot a bit more and also, he should step up in big moments.

For example, I was waiting for him in the 2 first matches of the series when IT was grieving. He had good stats, but I find he had no big impact on the game, because he was thinking about the others too much.

But that's who he is, he has that teamspirit and we knew it when he came to Boston. Also, I really like him as a person, he seems to be a great guy, and clearly a guy whose presence will be super valuable in a championship team.

So is his contract worth it ? On the long term, no doubt it is. But this year, he didn't step up enough... yet ! :)

A lot of things you want him to do have never been his strengths. Al Horford is an established veteran in the league. He was signed to be who he is, not to be something else. Horford is exactly what I expected him to be, and that's perfectly fine with me.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I still remember his abysmal 7 points, 11 rebound performance in Game 2. When some of us (me included) demanded that he gets shipped out after that game.

Glad he's turning it around and trying to prove me wrong by playing better the last three games. My expectations of him are simple: somewhere around 20/10 per night and you're living up the max contract.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My expectations of him are simple: somewhere around 20/10 per night and you're living up the max contract.

He was signed to do basically what he's doing:

15-18 points, 7-8 rebounds, 4-5 assists, solid defense and shooting numbers.

He's well worth the max at that level of production.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
My expectations of him are simple: somewhere around 20/10 per night and you're living up the max contract.

He was signed to do basically what he's doing:

15-18 points, 7-8 rebounds, 4-5 assists, solid defense and shooting numbers.

He's well worth the max at that level of production.

Edit this is incorrect. Something weird is up with the NBA rebound leaders page.

Towns, Cousins and Davis averaged 20-10, trying to see who else (besides westbrook not a big man)

All star guys like Love, Milsap Blake did not do this.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:37:16 PM by celticsclay »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Play him next to a legit C and he'll be even more effective imo.
cant do it.

Horford is no longer quick enough to defend the 4. He should be a 5 the rest of his career.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Only other player in the post season with 15+PPG, 9+RPG, and 6+APG is Lebron.

I wasn't thrilled with Al's rebounding this season but was thrilled with all the other parts of his game(some will say he needs to score more but he is a third offensive option on this team so I never had a problem with his scoring). I think his quiet leadership skills and elite passing ability helped to show me he was worth the max.

Now with his post season, I am sure he is worth the max. Also, if he lures another max level talent to the Celtics, he will have been money well spent.