Poll

is Al worth the max contract if he plays like this throughout the playoffs?

Yes
64 (94.1%)
No
4 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Al Horford averaging 15 points, 6 assists, 9.5 rebounds in this playoff series.  (Read 13541 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So for the playoffs so far Al Horford is averaging 15 points, 6 assists, 9.5 rebounds.

I think he's really working his ass off on both ends, particularly after the first 2 games where Lopez got all those rebounds. I've been thoroughly impressed.

In my opinion this is the Al Horford that we gave a max salary slot to and it's paying off.
No way are we in this series without Horford.

Anyway, what are people's thoughts on his play?

Side note:
IT is averaging 25.5 pts, 6 assists and 4 rebounds and shooting 59% from 2! Only blemish is his 3p % at 25% which will surely go up. What a warrior.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:13:02 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Honestly from the first two games I was fine with Horford, tbh I just want some more in the regular season like 17ppg and 8rpg with 5 apg
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
TP Chambers. Finally the stats are saying good things as well.

I've grown almost tired of claiming the value of players such as Bradley, Horford or Smart beyond pure stats. Many people think that teams such as Milwaukee, Chicago or even Minnesota have more talent than us. But talent isn't also scoring in isolation. You look at the numbers and this team has won 53 games this season. There must be something further than a player (who doesn't play consistent defense) scoring 29 ppg.

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I don't understand people's obsession for Giannis, it's too early. He hasn't develop his shot and mid-range game yet. He disappear in some games because of that.
Parker has apparently some defensive problems.
Milwaukee rely on rookies like Brogdon and Maker to stay alive in their series.
Not a very talented team (yet).

Minnesota is just a bunch of kids with spectacular skills. But besides KAT, I don't have much faith in their future. They apparently don't want to learn how to hustle, sacrifice and learn how to win games.

Chicago's talent is misfit and their FO/coach are deeply flawed. It shows during the season and more in the playoffs.
I don't believe Rondo is a difference between 2-0 away and 0-2 home.
This is a huge gape, Rondo is still good but we can't give so much credit to him.

Boston is real, first seed, with great team play, good defense and with solutions on offense.
I like Al a lot, he's probably the only big that does everything well. He's so well rounded. He isn't on top of any stats/skills but he has no flaws. He can do everything well.
Now, is he worth the max? In today's new tv deal and crazy market value, yes.
He wasn't 2 years ago, and I believe Danny doesn't see Al as a max player as well.
But we had to sign him to a max to have a chance at Durant and to establish Boston as a good destination for free agency.
There is no doubt you'll give the same max to Al if you had to reconsider. No brainer.

By the way, I'm really impressed of the entire team performance. Shots were not falling, IT was struggling at the 3 pts line. Bulls were on fire and gaining confidence.
Nobody doubts, everybody keeps giving energy and hustles every possession and it pays BIG in the fourth quarter.
Very proud to be a Celtics fan today.  8)

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Honestly from the first two games I was fine with Horford, tbh I just want some more in the regular season like 17ppg and 8rpg with 5 apg

Just the opposite for me : after the first two games, I was starting to feel that we overpaid Horford and were stuck with him for the future. I gave him a pass for the regular season, assuming he would bring it for the playoffs and he definitely did not in the first two games.

Sure, he played well in the first half of game 1 but I thought he was nowhere to be found in the 4th quarter of both games. Fortunately, since game 3, he has been brilliant on both ends and a big reason for our comeback.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Just the opposite for me : after the first two games, I was starting to feel that we overpaid Horford and were stuck with him for the future. I gave him a pass for the regular season, assuming he would bring it for the playoffs and he definitely did not in the first two games.

Sure, he played well in the first half of game 1 but I thought he was nowhere to be found in the 4th quarter of both games. Fortunately, since game 3, he has been brilliant on both ends and a big reason for our comeback.
Imo his stats were ok and his disappearance late in the game was more about the scheming, he was pretty good. The last 3 we won had him balling out so I hope he can do it more often lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
All season long when horford was on the floor he made everyone on team better, stats be [dang]ed.  He gets the ball moving and is our defensive anchor.  What i like is his efficiency, guy doesn't throw up  a lot of shots

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
All season long when horford was on the floor he made everyone on team better, stats be [dang]ed.  He gets the ball moving and is our defensive anchor.  What i like is his efficiency, guy doesn't throw up  a lot of shots

Yes, he definitely improves the team's overall play but I think he has to be more selfish/looking for his shot when we're struggling to score, especially at the end of the game. In a way he reminds me of Boris Diaw, who has infuriated French fans of the national team for years by looking to make a pass and involve his teammates to a fault while he had the chance to dominate.

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I find it hard to answer with a simple Yes/no to the question.

His stats are good and I must admit I feel good when I see him stepping on the floor. I believe he truly makes a great defensive job and has the mindset to just facilitate for others.

But this last thing makes me think almost playing the team card too much. In this roaster at least, he must realize sharing and passing shots is not always the solution. He should shot a bit more and also, he should step up in big moments.

For example, I was waiting for him in the 2 first matches of the series when IT was grieving. He had good stats, but I find he had no big impact on the game, because he was thinking about the others too much.

But that's who he is, he has that teamspirit and we knew it when he came to Boston. Also, I really like him as a person, he seems to be a great guy, and clearly a guy whose presence will be super valuable in a championship team.

So is his contract worth it ? On the long term, no doubt it is. But this year, he didn't step up enough... yet ! :)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mvp last night

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Mvp last night

I would have to give AB the MVP last night but Horford was a close 2nd like Harden will be.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
When Al is aggressive, good things happen. For all the talk about Lopez killing us on the boards, there's nothing he can do with a player as versatile as Al, who's shooting .561/.500/.909 with only 7 TO's through 5 games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
15/6/9.5 is very good but that isn't a max contract level of stats.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
15/6/9.5 is very good but that isn't a max contract level of stats.

6 assists from a center is insane. People lost their mind a few years ago when Gasol had 4 a game for a season.
#JKJB

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Play him next to a legit C and he'll be even more effective imo.