Author Topic: Share your suggestions on how refs can deal with tonight's Celtic vs. Bulls game  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
So the match up between these two teams is shaping up to be a contentious and chippy game. How did we get to this point? Who is to blame? Are the Celtics mad because they have been called out as the worst 1st seed ever? Are the Bulls upset because they lost what looked like a easy upset of the #1 seed. Are there some underpinning of old wounds, Wade vs Celtics, or Rondo vs Celtics? Obviously we know there is some bad blood expressed between Smart and Butler. Hoiberg has not made matters any better by calling out the leader of the Celtics for cheating. It matters little what has caused this series to become so chippy, what matters is how the league deals with it. I will be surprised if the league has not already sent a memo to both teams to calm down.

Here is one thing I have seen happen in soccer that will probably never happen in the NBA. I have observed a soccer game or two where there has been huge tension between the teams scheduled to play, and what the referees did was gather the two teams before the game including the reserves and issue all of them a yellow card, basically indicating a no tolerance warning, and signaling that any rough foul would result in an automatic ejection. Needless to say, the games calmed down and there were no incidents. There were hard fouls during the games but the referee exercised discretion and I do not recall any ejections.

Any suggestions?

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Swallow their whistles. Let the teams play. They'll sort it out.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
they just need to call a fair game. 

Chippy basketball is what everyone should expect to see in the playoffs.  a fairly-called game should keep it from getting out of control

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
they just need to call a fair game. 

Chippy basketball is what everyone should expect to see in the playoffs.  a fairly-called game should keep it from getting out of control
Your response is better than mine.

TP
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think if a player takes a cheap shot on another player, the refs should be allowed to call it a regular foul but note the cheap shot, and then at some point later in the game the refs themselves have to take a reciprocal cheap shot by surprise on said player. Fair is fair. Adam Silver should go for this rule change. Of course, this means we need bigger, more athletic refs though.

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Call Goal Tending when it happens.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Every time Gerald Green hits a 3-pointer, all the refs do a shot.

Mike

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
I think if a player takes a cheap shot on another player, the refs should be allowed to call it a regular foul but note the cheap shot, and then at some point later in the game the refs themselves have to take a reciprocal cheap shot by surprise on said player. Fair is fair. Adam Silver should go for this rule change. Of course, this means we need bigger, more athletic refs though.
Or have a 4th official on the sidelines in a suit tripping players as they go by ;)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Get out of the way when Marcus lays int Butler.

Lots of ejections tonight ...

We ll trade out Smart for Bulter ......come on Marcus talk him up !  Get under his skin....

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Same way a team always deals with dubious refs
1) keep our mouths shut
2)  let CBS work the refs
3)  play together and well enough that their calls won't be a factor
4)  be mindful of how they are calling a game early and adjust accordingly
5)  get the crowd involved because they can pressure the refs via reaction

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Be the aggressor right out of the gate.  Calls often go to the team that is setting the tone and pace of the game.  And win the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. game so I can stop taking my anger out on my loved ones. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I swear, if we see any "Palming" violations called against IT....crowd's gonna lose their ****
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Be the aggressor right out of the gate.  Calls often go to the team that is setting the tone and pace of the game.  And win the **** game so I can stop taking my anger out on my loved ones.

For the sake of your loved ones, I hope you watched the last two games.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I swear, if we see any "Palming" violations called against IT....crowd's gonna lose their ****
Ill lose my Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing mind if they call him on a hesitation dribble.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Bulls fans new excuse tonight consists of the refs helping the Celtics lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)