Author Topic: Gregg Popovich may have given a Memphis server a $5,000 tip  (Read 8884 times)

Re: Gregg Popovich may have given a Memphis server a $5,000 tip
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
does a RN deserve as much pay as a scrub on a NBA basketball team?
Nope, because a lot of people could be trained to be an RN.  Not a lot of people could be trained to play in the NBA.

You must also believe that 30 year old hedge fund managers moving paper around deserve all those millions they make. By the way, if you are right there is no need to tip the waitress $5,000.00 or anything at all for that matter.
Largely, they do, as evidenced by the fact that the firms that pay them feel they are worth that much. I'm sure they'd prefer to pay them median wage instead, but somehow I suspect this wouldn't work so great for them.

Now, how much said managers should be taxed is a different story altogether.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 01:38:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Pop is amazing.

That said, what about the cooks who work just as hard and don't get paid as much as the waitresses?

Tipping is a problematic institution. :P

But yeah, Pop is the best.
well, the cooks and other staff outside of the wait staff make a higher wage.  Wait staff do not get the minimum wage applicable to other jobs but a different minimum wage, which when I worked as a waiter in the mid-80's was $2.01.   I don't think it's gone up much from there.  I had a lot of nights where my tips didn't amount to enough to match minimum wage no matter how good I was at my job.

fully agree that this should be a system of pay that is sunset.
The minimum wage for tipped positions is $2.13 right now, for the curious. However, the employer is obliged to compensate the difference to the federal minimum if it is not made up by tips. If they didn't do that on a weekly basis, they were likely breaking the law.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nope, because a lot of people could be trained to be an RN.  Not a lot of people could be trained to play in the NBA.

You must also believe that 30 year old hedge fund managers moving paper around deserve all those millions they make. By the way, if you are right there is no need to tip the waitress $5,000.00 or anything at all for that matter.
I didn't say all that.  But I am an RN and I believe James Young should be paid far more than I should be paid to work as an RN.  I can't be trained to do what he does at that level.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Remember that some professions don't just pay for service, but for performance. If you have a deal with someone to make a certain percentage of what you can make for them, and then you make them millions, don't you deserve your cut regardless of how much skill was involved (how much skill is involved is debatable, but a separate argument)?

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I didn't say all that.  But I am an RN and I believe James Young should be paid far more than I should be paid to work as an RN.  I can't be trained to do what he does at that level.
James Young may be a poor example  ;)

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I was trying to use the biggest scrub on the roster.  How about Demetrius Jackson? :D

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

lol TP.

On a more serious note I do not like the compensation system for waiters ..just pay them and add it to the price of the food. Leaving the compensation of the waiter to how good the customers are feeling on a particular day is just too inconsistent.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

lol TP.

On a more serious note I do not like the compensation system for waiters ..just pay them and add it to the price of the food. Leaving the compensation of the waiter to how good the customers are feeling on a particular day is just too inconsistent.
Especially if you end up with a huge bill and no tip from No Tippen Pippen.

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Given it is a heck of a lot easier to find an RN than a player good enough to be a scrub in the NBA, no, they don't come close to deserving that. At all.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pop is amazing.

That said, what about the cooks who work just as hard and don't get paid as much as the waitresses?

well, the cooks and other staff outside of the wait staff make a higher wage.  Wait staff do not get the minimum wage applicable to other jobs but a different minimum wage, which when I worked as a waiter in the mid-80's was $2.01.   I don't think it's gone up much from there.  I had a lot of nights where my tips didn't amount to enough to match minimum wage no matter how good I was at my job.

The minimum wage for tipped positions is $2.13 right now, for the curious. However, the employer is obliged to compensate the difference to the federal minimum if it is not made up by tips. If they didn't do that on a weekly basis, they were likely breaking the law.
Really?  [dang] statute of limitations!!!   howard Johnson's owes me a lot of money!!

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 02:09:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Pop is amazing.

Really?  [dang] statute of limitations!!!   howard Johnson's owes me a lot of money!!
Well, have in mind that the requirement is that weekly earnings / weekly hours >= min wage, so if your bad days were offset by good days within the same week that was probably fine.

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
i know. i wish i could afford to do such things as well. going through my undergrad years, i worked in restaurants to make money and i know what a difference such a tip can make to people.

sigh....if i were a rich man...Daidle deedle daidle. Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb ...  ;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pop is amazing.

Well, have in mind that the requirement is that weekly earnings / weekly hours >= min wage, so if your bad days were offset by good days within the same week that was probably fine.
not usually.  I wish I could say otherwise. 

working the graveyard shift 11-7 with several very pretty waitresses didn't generate a lot of tips from the drunks who were p---ed they got me instead of one of the waitresses.  my tips tended to reflect their dissatisfaction with that situation.

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Pop is amazing.

not usually.  I wish I could say otherwise. 

working the graveyard shift 11-7 with several very pretty waitresses didn't generate a lot of tips from the drunks who were p---ed they got me instead of one of the waitresses.  my tips tended to reflect their dissatisfaction with that situation.

lol I was just about to say, that the large tip news invariably involves waitresses and not waiters. Are you saying there is sexual discrimination in the hospitality industry?

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pop is amazing.

From what I have read / heard on economics podcasts, the back of the restaurant workers are often not paid as much as the people working the front end, even when you consider that wait staff are often not entitled to the same minimum wage.

There's a famous restaurateur in New York city who does not allow tipping in his restaurants for this and other reasons.

I was amazed to learn that even the best chefs in New York make relatively very little money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain