Author Topic: Gregg Popovich may have given a Memphis server a $5,000 tip  (Read 8878 times)

Re: Gregg Popovich may have given a Memphis server a $5,000 tip
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love stories like this. If I was extremely rich, I'd do stuff like this constantly. $5000 can be life changing for a server.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i know. i wish i could afford to do such things as well. going through my undergrad years, i worked in restaurants to make money and i know what a difference such a tip can make to people.

sigh....if i were a rich man...Daidle deedle daidle. Daidle daidle deedle daidle dumb ...  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pop is amazing.

That said, what about the cooks who work just as hard and don't get paid as much as the waitresses?

Tipping is a problematic institution. :P

But yeah, Pop is the best.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I love stories like this. If I was extremely rich, I'd do stuff like this constantly. $5000 can be life changing for a server.
I suspect most places will be pooling tips. I doubt this will go to just one guy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 12:37:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
you can do the next best thing Roy.  You can give me 5000 TPs and feel the same level of generosity.  it's almost as good 

I gave you one and feel better already.  imagine how you'd feel after giving out 5000!  8)

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why dont we strive for equity in pay rather than reduce the country to a welfare economy where poor folks depend on 'charity' from rich people who make obscene amounts of money?

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:12:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Dang .....SOAP !

I could take a bath

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:12:35 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
why dont we strive for equity in pay rather than reduce the country to a welfare economy where poor folks depend on 'charity' from rich people who make obscene amounts of money?

Because a server simply does not deserve the same pay an RN gets, and an RN doesn't deserve the same pay as a radiologist.

People are paid according to their skills (ignoring the foolish idea of a minimum wage, anyway) and that is how it should be.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
does a RN deserve as much pay as a scrub on a NBA basketball team?

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Nope, because a lot of people could be trained to be an RN.  Not a lot of people could be trained to play in the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Because a server simply does not deserve the same pay an RN gets, and an RN doesn't deserve the same pay as a radiologist.

People are paid according to their skills (ignoring the foolish idea of a minimum wage, anyway) and that is how it should be.
Yes, in the fantasy land of perfectly competitive markets this is true. In the real world, not so much.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 01:31:11 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
you can do the next best thing Roy.  You can give me 5000 TPs and feel the same level of generosity.  it's almost as good 

I gave you one and feel better already.  imagine how you'd feel after giving out 5000!  8)
holy Christmas you actually did it!   I can only hope that felt as good for you as it did for me! 

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Nope, because a lot of people could be trained to be an RN.  Not a lot of people could be trained to play in the NBA.

You must also believe that 30 year old hedge fund managers moving paper around deserve all those millions they make. By the way, if you are right there is no need to tip the waitress $5,000.00 or anything at all for that matter.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 01:35:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Pop is amazing.

That said, what about the cooks who work just as hard and don't get paid as much as the waitresses?

Tipping is a problematic institution. :P

But yeah, Pop is the best.
well, the cooks and other staff outside of the wait staff make a higher wage.  Wait staff do not get the minimum wage applicable to other jobs but a different minimum wage, which when I worked as a waiter in the mid-80's was $2.01.   I don't think it's gone up much from there.  I had a lot of nights where my tips didn't amount to enough to match minimum wage no matter how good I was at my job.

fully agree that this should be a system of pay that is sunset.