Author Topic: What adjustments will the Bulls make for game 5?  (Read 3227 times)

What adjustments will the Bulls make for game 5?
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
So what are people's thoughts on what the Bulls adjustments might be for game 5?

The Bulls change for game 5 will be to clog the paint as a way of helping on Isaiah when he drives.

They didn't help on IT anywhere near enough and he just got to his spots or to the free throw line just like James Harden.

They need to make us shoot the 3 point shot on kick outs from IT.

I still can't see them stopping the Isaiah high pick and roll with Lopez coming out and away from the basket. It really helped our ability to rebound and stop the Bulls getting 2nd shot opportunities.

The Celtics were very physical with the Bulls and it got under the Bulls skin (MCW and Butler both getting a bit worked up/frustrated), and they have to do a better job of keeping their composure.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: What adjustments will the Bulls make for game 5?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:20:06 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I think you're right. I think they'll dog Isaiah more, keep Lopez in longer to clog the paint. They're going to give up 3s against Avery, Jae, Marcus, and Al. If the Celtics hit at a 40% rate they would win no matter what the Bulls did. Last game was an anomaly, we shot poorly from 3 and won? That never happens. I think the Bulls will hope the Celtics will 'die by the 3' tonight.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:51 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Defensively they will try to be more physical with IT I imagine. I'd like to see us use Smart as the ball handler in that scenario as it was very effective in Game 3.

Offensively depends on Rondo. If he's in they will space the floor a lot better as we will have to respect Rondo and probably help off of the other guys. If Rondo is out they will struggle again. I don't think Canaan has that good of a game again.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I welcome physical,our team loves playing physical and they will regret for it(guess they didn;t learn from Love/Rondo)
As for Rondo, he shoulnd't do much because a injury is a injury, just sag him off and dare him to shoot
If we keep playing AB/Green/JC/AH/TR/JB/JJ(all above average shooter) and they dare us to shoot i am very confident we win the battle, yes there is still a chance we shoot horrible and lose but i am willing to bet on it

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
If I were them and Rondo can't play, I wouldn't play any of their PGs (Canaan, Grant, or MCW).  Butler and Wade are the facilitators anyways.  They should just go big and try to bludgeon us on the O boards every possession and sag the paint against IT to win the FT battle and make us a jump-shooting team.  Also, they went away from Robin Lopez way too much at home reacting to us going small.  He should be playing 30-35 a night for them every night as we just don't have an answer for him on the glass.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If I were them and Rondo can't play, I wouldn't play any of their PGs (Canaan, Grant, or MCW).  Butler and Wade are the facilitators anyways.  They should just go big and try to bludgeon us on the O boards every possession and sag the paint against IT to win the FT battle and make us a jump-shooting team.  Also, they went away from Robin Lopez way too much at home reacting to us going small.  He should be playing 30-35 a night for them every night as we just don't have an answer for him on the glass.
Agree with this if Rondo can't play.  if he does, I think they'll use Rondo to go at IT on offense despite Rondo's injury.  when Rondo's resting (probably quite a bit of the game) I would think they'd follow the Wade/Butler/Lopez game plan. 

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Yay! A thread that isn't solely based on name calling or finger pointing.

The Bulls are a "good" team. Rondo feeding Butler and Wade with Lopez kind of standing there in the middle and the Bulls are "good."   

The Celtics too, are a "good" team. The system they employ (movement + more movement) beats the Bulls if and only if the Celtics execute it as a team. The Celtics had a better season than the Bulls for this reason. They move the ball and shoot threes. If the threes hit? (As pointed out by "JohnBoy65") The Celtics can beat anybody.

The Bulls (correct if I'm wrong) aren't bad perimeter defenders. I, however, don't see them as being "good enough" to shut down the Celtics offense on an average night. The Celtics, on the other hand, offer consistent perimeter defense that can harass the Wade/Butler threat adequately to let the game be decided by the "three."

During the season, opponents with front court "size" have forced the game down low and frustrated the Celtics from time to time. Regardless, the torrent of threes has usually won out. (Which is why they do it, right?). The Celtics run the Bulls around and wear them out...it is what they do. Lopez, Butler and Wade are three buckets of sweat for the last five minutes of the game because that is the plan. (In game 4, Crowder was out of gas at the end also).

"Hey Lopez? Run out to the perimeter to cover your guy for the 114th time...what do you mean you're tired?"

So, the Bulls tactics in Games 1 & 2? Will become progressively less effective against "high speed chuck the ball around and jack threes" that got C's to where they are.

Thomas won game four? Ummm...Bradley won game four also.  Avery Bradley was brilliant in that game. Bulls players have been waking up in the middle of the night screaming his name.

The Bulls imo are not "good" enough to force their "game" on the Celtics. It is certainly not by a wide margin, it's just that the Celtics are too good at "their own" game. From a statistical standpoint, the odds of the Bulls beating the Celtics in Boston three games in a row are higher than the Celtics beating the Bulls three straight.

This is a "must win" for the Bulls on the road. Tough spot and Vegas agrees, you're getting eight points if you're wearing Red tonight.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Yay! A thread that isn't solely based on name calling or finger pointing.

The Bulls are a "good" team. Rondo feeding Butler and Wade with Lopez kind of standing there in the middle and the Bulls are "good."   

The Celtics too, are a "good" team. The system they employ (movement + more movement) beats the Bulls if and only if the Celtics execute it as a team. The Celtics had a better season than the Bulls for this reason. They move the ball and shoot threes. If the threes hit? (As pointed out by "JohnBoy65") The Celtics can beat anybody.

The Bulls (correct if I'm wrong) aren't bad perimeter defenders. I, however, don't see them as being "good enough" to shut down the Celtics offense on an average night. The Celtics, on the other hand, offer consistent perimeter defense that can harass the Wade/Butler threat adequately to let the game be decided by the "three."

During the season, opponents with front court "size" have forced the game down low and frustrated the Celtics from time to time. Regardless, the torrent of threes has usually won out. (Which is why they do it, right?). The Celtics run the Bulls around and wear them out...it is what they do. Lopez, Butler and Wade are three buckets of sweat for the last five minutes of the game because that is the plan. (In game 4, Crowder was out of gas at the end also).

"Hey Lopez? Run out to the perimeter to cover your guy for the 114th time...what do you mean you're tired?"

So, the Bulls tactics in Games 1 & 2? Will become progressively less effective against "high speed chuck the ball around and jack threes" that got C's to where they are.

Thomas won game four? Ummm...Bradley won game four also.  Avery Bradley was brilliant in that game. Bulls players have been waking up in the middle of the night screaming his name.

The Bulls imo are not "good" enough to force their "game" on the Celtics. It is certainly not by a wide margin, it's just that the Celtics are too good at "their own" game. From a statistical standpoint, the odds of the Bulls beating the Celtics in Boston three games in a row are higher than the Celtics beating the Bulls three straight.

This is a "must win" for the Bulls on the road. Tough spot and Vegas agrees, you're getting eight points if you're wearing Red tonight.

Great assessment. I think you really nailed these points on the head. Be careful of relying on the point spread though, the Bulls were getting 7 in Game 2 also. I don't think anyone would disagree though that Celtics shouldn't be favored in this game.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think you're right. I think they'll dog Isaiah more, keep Lopez in longer to clog the paint. They're going to give up 3s against Avery, Jae, Marcus, and Al. If the Celtics hit at a 40% rate they would win no matter what the Bulls did. Last game was an anomaly, we shot poorly from 3 and won? That never happens. I think the Bulls will hope the Celtics will 'die by the 3' tonight.

Of all the strategy's everyone has posted, I think this one is spot on.^^^^

One addition, I think the Celtics need to post up Butler more using Crowder. Butler is going to be geeked up to show he's a tough guy and getting two quick fouls on him will change the game drastically. It will all fall on DWade at that point and he can't carry a team for an entire game anymore.

So I say whatever we need to do to get Butler in foul trouble.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I have a feeling this Bulls team will go down looking "ugly."

I think the recipient will be IT. Without Rondo they use 3 point guards with 6 fouls apiece, look for IT to get the brunt of the assault.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 12:22:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If I were Hoiberg I would go big as much as possible, crash the glass, play super slow, and let Jimmy and Wade do their thing in the half court.

I'd also target Isaiah relentlessly on switches.

Rebounds, free throws, limit turnovers.

If that doesn't work, at least you know you went down doing what your team is good at.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
If I were Hoiberg I would go big as much as possible, crash the glass, play super slow, and let Jimmy and Wade do their thing in the half court.

If that doesn't work, at least you know you went down doing what your team is good at.

Boy I'm glad Pho isn't the coach, we would be screwed lol.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
They won't make changes, 'cause Hoidberg sucks.

Players might change their attitude but that's all. Hoidberg might just change pointguard midgame randomly to pretend he thinks about something else than IT carrying the ball haha

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Yeah. To me, the winning philosophy is always to make the other team play your style of ball, not to try to beat them at their own game. If Boston is better going small, the Bulls' smartest move is probably to keep playing big and impose their will. Then it's up to the C's to make shots.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
The Celtics run the Bulls around and wear them out...it is what they do. Lopez, Butler and Wade are three buckets of sweat for the last five minutes of the game because that is the plan. (In game 4, Crowder was out of gas at the end also).

The Bulls played into our hands these last couple games.  Relying on Butler to manufacture almost all the offense in addition to playing  that  "race around" defense left him playing on fumes.  I'm torn though.  Tempo has helped us but in the first two games it didn't work in our favor--Rondo obviously was the key factor but we seemed to get discombobulated on D and started chucking on O.   Do you think we try to turn it up still further?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:12:42 PM by Thruthelookingglass »