Poll

Jackson or Tatum?

Tatum
23 (45.1%)
Jackson
28 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make  (Read 8730 times)

Re: Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We finally are lucky enough to get a top four pick ...I ll just hope Karma treats us well and I'll be happy who ever they select ... that person which ever of the four we wind up with should be an upgrade over a number of guys already on the team . 

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Danny thinks Tatum can play the stretch 4 role....  He could be the pick

These are all good prospects....   Jackson is a nice looking 3, in the mold of Jae Crowder... not as thick....but more explosive. Better slasher, but with an unorthodox/not confident in jump shot

Fultz is obviously a grade A type talent... and if drafted Danny would need to find either Smart or Rozier a new home.   Minutes for AB and IT4 could decrease also .  could make them sweat a little regarding their extensions.   May affect the mental health of the backcourt

If Tatum can play the stretch 4 role (alongside Horford or KO from the bench)... would be filling in a vacant spot anyways...

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'd agree with you about Tatum's role as a stretch 4, which I think he could do, but Jackson is nothing like Crowder.  Crowder is a strong, short 3 and D guy.  Jackson longer, far more athletic, and a much better playmaker.  He's also a much poorer shooter at this point.  The only thing they have in common is that they are both good defenders, but they do it in very different ways.

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'd agree with you about Tatum's role as a stretch 4, which I think he could do, but Jackson is nothing like Crowder.  Crowder is a strong, short 3 and D guy.  Jackson longer, far more athletic, and a much better playmaker.  He's also a much poorer shooter at this point.  The only thing they have in common is that they are both good defenders, but they do it in very different ways.

Also both are hardworking, blue collar, versatile

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tatum also has  FT shooting adv over Jackson

But Jackson is known for his toughness and does not shy away from contact

Both players could "fit" under cbs

But if after tallying everything up danny/cbs think , they are close.... maybe go with Tatum due to positional need (stretch 4)

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Shocked Jackson with all his clear weaknesses had a slight edge in poll

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Shocked Jackson with all his clear weaknesses had a slight edge in poll

Not me. I can see a case for each but prefer Jackson. Higher bball IQ, plays very well in a ball movement system, better defender, just as good of a 3 point shooter. One weakness is his free throw shooting.

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'd be really happy to have either, but there's something about Tatum that whispers "Paul Pierce" to me. I know that's sacrilege around here but there's something about his game that just seems familiar in that way. 

Still, it's a good day. We're going to get a top 4 pick and we're in the second round of the playoffs. It's a good time to be a Cs fan.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
One thing I'd like to point out when evaluating these two guys is the quality of point guards they played with this past season.  Duke did not have a true pg.  Allen and Kennard shared the responsibility, but both are shooting guards and Duke's offense looked awkward all season as a result.  I didn't notice Tatum getting too many easy shots.  He created a lot of his own offense which of course is his strength.  Kansas had the national player of the year in Frank Mason manning the position and Jackson was getting a lot of open shots as a result.

I think Jackson is more NBA ready and will contribute more next season.  If we take Tatum, many will gripe about it next season.  A few years down the road, though, Tatum will become the better player as he adds strength and refines his skills.  A 6'8" small forward who can handle the ball and create his own offense is so valuable.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'd be really happy to have either, but there's something about Tatum that whispers "Paul Pierce" to me. I know that's sacrilege around here but there's something about his game that just seems familiar in that way. 

Still, it's a good day. We're going to get a top 4 pick and we're in the second round of the playoffs. It's a good time to be a Cs fan.

Yes ... But still different

Tatum is taller ... Not as good as playmaker as Pierce

But has rebounding/shot blocking adv

Both athletic but nothing crazy in terms of explosiveness.... But can dunk on people in space...

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I agree with the person who said Tatum reminds of Pierce

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 01:19:53 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
End of clock shot makers are hard to find thus I have Tatum ahead of Jackson although I think Jackson could be a little more of a safe pick.

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 01:46:14 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Both athletic but nothing crazy in terms of explosiveness.... But can dunk on people in space...

Of course they are different. I dislike comparing college guys to pro counterparts - especially great pros - because every player is different.

But with these two it's something about their almost deliberate and deceptive movements to score. Pierce always looked like he was in slow motion but remained a half step in front of his defender. Even in his younger days the knock on Pierce was that he was too slow but yet it didn't hamper him - he was only quick when he needed to be. Step back here, half step to the right there and just enough space to get his shot. Tatum seems to have that same kind of measured pace where he accelerates only as much as he needs to.

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Of course they are different. I dislike comparing college guys to pro counterparts - especially great pros - because every player is different.

But with these two it's something about their almost deliberate and deceptive movements to score. Pierce always looked like he was in slow motion but remained a half step in front of his defender. Even in his younger days the knock on Pierce was that he was too slow but yet it didn't hamper him - he was only quick when he needed to be. Step back here, half step to the right there and just enough space to get his shot. Tatum seems to have that same kind of measured pace where he accelerates only as much as he needs to.

I see the.similarity to Pierce as well.  I don't recall Pierce being much of a playmaker as a rookie either.

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rather have Ball or Fultz.