Poll

Jackson or Tatum?

Tatum
23 (45.1%)
Jackson
28 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make  (Read 8689 times)

Re: Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 06:47:43 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I just don't understand why people prefer Jackson.

Some think that he has the most potential of anyone if the draft.   Fultz is supposed to be a superstar.  Jackson has that potential.

STRENGTHS -Good height for a wing at 6' 7.75” -Impressive athlete. Excellent in transition with or without the ball. Explosive leaper in space. -Strong straight-line slasher. Fairly long strides with good body control. Doesn't have the tightest handle but he can play with the ball. -Shows strong court vision both in the half court and transition. Not a selfish player. -Active cutter. Moves without the ball. -Doesn't shy away from contact around the rim. -Plays with toughness. Likes to compete. Excellent rebounder for his position. -Very willing defender. Can chase shooters. Good feet on the ball. Takes on the challenge of stopping his man. Impressive instincts and anticipation off the ball.
WEAKNESSES -Doesn't have elite length relative to his height – 6' 9.75” wingspan. -Hasn't added much strength over the past year and a half. Doesn't have the widest frame. -Funky shooting stroke. Relies on elevation, big dip of the ball. More comfortable shooting off the dribble than the catch. Limits his scoring in the half court. -Comfortable with the ball but doesn't have the tightest handle. -Can get a bit wild. Takes contested pull ups early in the clock. -Emotional player who can be very outwardly demonstrative with his teammates at times - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/ ©DraftExpress

I think his shooting could be fixed if that were the case, we would not be having this conversation folks.   He is a better passer, rebounder and defender than Tatum.

This site compares him to Kawhi Leonard or Jimmy Butler and Tatum to Allan Houston.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jayson-tatum

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson

Jackson has a 100 Score.  Tatum a 94.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think Tatum has the higher potential of the two because of his offensive skill set. His ceiling projects as a Rudy Gay type scorer- or even better because of his size. He also arguably has larger bust potential because of his defensive traits. He seems like the kind of kid that will put in the work to become a good defender, but it's never guaranteed.

Jackson looks like he has a far higher 'worst case' basement because you know he'll at least be a very, very good defender as a floor. Now if he can develop a dribble drive game like Jimmy and Kawahi then you'll have a legit superstar- I just think Tatum's potential as very very good scorer and defender is higher.

Both great players. I would take Tatum but if we took Jackson I wouldn't have any problem either.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:31:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think

Every one is entitled to think and post their thoughts.   I have read a lot of mocks and I have not seen many with Tatum as having the higher potential.   I would also point you to their high school rankings.   Most all of them had Jackson, first.  You still entitled to your opinion and we could both post data or posts defending our points of view.

Is Jason more polished and NBA ready today, most likely.   But he does not have the most potential because of the lack of room for growth.   He is not going to get much more athletic and he already has a high level of skill.  Therefore, I think Tatum is more NBA ready but has less room to grow.   

Potential is defined as 1) having or showing the capacity to become or develop into something in the future or 2) latent qualities or abilities that may be developed and lead to future success or usefulness.  I think both of them have 1 but Jackson has more of 2.   

Could I be, wrong absolutely.  Could I be right, possibly.  You may be right, time will tell should be fun to watch, chambers.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Hopefully, it's a decision Ainge doesn't have to make either.

This.

However, if he does, it has to be Jackson.

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Some think that he has the most potential of anyone if the draft.   Fultz is supposed to be a superstar.  Jackson has that potential.

STRENGTHS -Good height for a wing at 6' 7.75” -Impressive athlete. Excellent in transition with or without the ball. Explosive leaper in space. -Strong straight-line slasher. Fairly long strides with good body control. Doesn't have the tightest handle but he can play with the ball. -Shows strong court vision both in the half court and transition. Not a selfish player. -Active cutter. Moves without the ball. -Doesn't shy away from contact around the rim. -Plays with toughness. Likes to compete. Excellent rebounder for his position. -Very willing defender. Can chase shooters. Good feet on the ball. Takes on the challenge of stopping his man. Impressive instincts and anticipation off the ball.
WEAKNESSES -Doesn't have elite length relative to his height – 6' 9.75” wingspan. -Hasn't added much strength over the past year and a half. Doesn't have the widest frame. -Funky shooting stroke. Relies on elevation, big dip of the ball. More comfortable shooting off the dribble than the catch. Limits his scoring in the half court. -Comfortable with the ball but doesn't have the tightest handle. -Can get a bit wild. Takes contested pull ups early in the clock. -Emotional player who can be very outwardly demonstrative with his teammates at times - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/ ©DraftExpress

I think his shooting could be fixed if that were the case, we would not be having this conversation folks.   He is a better passer, rebounder and defender than Tatum.

This site compares him to Kawhi Leonard or Jimmy Butler and Tatum to Allan Houston.

This is all critical.  If it is not an elite superstar basketball talent like Lebron or Anthony Davis, remember that Danny and Brad will focus on who is the most versatile/flexible.  I think Jackson could defend all 5 positions in the NBA.

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 07:47:31 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Jackson. I don't buy Jackson's shooting, but he's near-elite at everything else, and I'm not big on Tatum.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This is all critical.  If it is not an elite superstar basketball talent like Lebron or Anthony Davis, remember that Danny and Brad will focus on who is the most versatile/flexible.  I think Jackson could defend all 5 positions in the NBA.
He could guard all of the 150lb centers :D

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think it will be the choice of these two for Celtics ,maybe Ball

Celtics are just not lucky

I expect them to pick 4 th or 3 Rd

Every time I di that draft simulator Celtics pick 4th

Glade I'm not picking for them.  ;D

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jacksons basketball iq is so high, his shot selection is the worst of the lottery, his shooting percentages are the worst from everywhere including the free throw line
that doesnt really prove bball iq.

Tatum is a better shotmaker, but Jackson has a higher bball iq on both sides of the floor.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Really hard choice, but I think Tatum fits our needs a bit better. Tatum has the ability to be that go to scorer alongside Isaiah.

Jackson is more of of a player that comes into the NBA with the "utility guy" skill set, a Marcus Smart type of guy; he also has the ability to be the next Kawhi Leonard.

All in all, its hard to tell which player would be a better pick. Im fine with any player DA goes with as long as he is not Lonzo Ball
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:51:21 PM by Denis998 »

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 08:59:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm hoping to get Jackson , if Fultz is gone .  Maybe Jackson drops to 3 Rd , if Ball goes second .

I'm cool with Tatum though . .....thank ya Nets !

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 07:40:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would choose jackson.  Tatum is a tweener

But if 100 percent healthy and could strengthen up a bit, I would choose Isaac

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
After watching more film the last few days I've now put Issac at #2 or #3.
Size and skill set with incredible work ethic and drive. I had no idea he was such a hard worker and how much he WANTED to get better as a player.
Similar measurements to Kevin Durant and very similar skillset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0QlgNJ6tw

He's a wildcard to beat Lonzo for the #2 pick IMO.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
After watching more film the last few days I've now put Issac at #2 or #3.
Size and skill set with incredible work ethic and drive. I had no idea he was such a hard worker and how much he WANTED to get better as a player.
Similar measurements to Kevin Durant and very similar skillset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0QlgNJ6tw

He's a wildcard to beat Lonzo for the #2 pick IMO.

Isaac is a gem of a prospect. But out of all the forwards in the top 10, he may be the least NBA ready. Dude still has the body of a high schooler and is probably a good 3-4 years away from contributing in the NBA. In 5 years I could see him blossoming into a Antetokounmpo/Rashard Lewis hybrid.

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 08:34:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Jackson. I don't buy Jackson's shooting, but he's near-elite at everything else, and I'm not big on Tatum.
Jackson went 48% from three point land over his final 17 games.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva