Poll

Jackson or Tatum?

Tatum
23 (45.1%)
Jackson
28 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make  (Read 8685 times)

Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
 know this is a frequent debate here on CB. A lot of Celtics fans expect us to miss out on Fultz - reasonably so considering our abysmal luck in the lottery. Having to Choose between Tatum and Jackson is a distinct possibility, and could possibly end up being one of the toughest decisions of Danny's tenure as Bostons GM.

Most who have taken the pro-Tatum stance point out that the Celtics have enough gritty, hard nosed, fiery players, and so that Jackson is redundant on this team. I don't necessarily agree with that opinion as I don't believe there's ever too many of those types of players you could add to your team. However, I do tend to agree with those pro-tatum'ers who say that the Celtics need a player with more offensive potential, given that our only real offesnive fire power is coming from out 5"9 PG right now.

Let's look at the case for Tatum over Jackson...

-Is much better at creating off the dribble
-ability to create separation from defenders is far better than Jacksons
-a whole year younger
-wider frame gives him more potential to play the NBA stretch 4
-Better mid range game
-more fluid looking jumpshot
-Jackson shows an inability to control his temper which leads to T's and can exhibit poor body language at times. Off the court issues.

Now let's look at the case for Jackson over Tatum..
-more tenacious defender/competitor
-pure basketball instincts show, as he is a better ball handler/playmaker for his team mates
-isn't as reliant on iso's as Tatum. More useful in a team ball dynamic.
-more of an explosive leaped than Tatum
-likes to guard the best player on the floor, something Tatum shys away from
-his team was better

At this stage it's fair to say they are equal 3 point shooters/rebounders..

Who ya got?

Re: Jackson or Tatum: a decision I'm glad I don't have to make
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tatum. tatum is a better shooter and ball hamdler. Tatum is better free throw shooter. Jackson free throw is atrocious. Tatum basketball iq seems to be higher.

The worst case For the draft might be we get 4th pick and only ball is available. 

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:06:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
It will be interesting to see the final combine measurements on both players but I think I'd take Jackson. I think Jackson has NBA athleticism and can defend his position. It's a tough call either way. This drive looks like it's got lots of NBA talent all the way into the 2nd round. It's going to be a good draft for the Celtics no matter who we take at the top.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Hopefully, it's a decision Ainge doesn't have to make either.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm hoping for Fultz

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tatum. tatum is a better shooter and ball hamdler. Tatum is better free throw shooter. Jackson free throw is atrocious. Tatum basketball iq seems to be higher.

The worst case For the draft might be we get 4th pick and only ball is available.

Jackson BB IQ is clearly higher than Tatum. You don't seem to know much about either of these guys to make that statement.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 11:48:51 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Tatum today. It was Jackson yesterday. I keep flip-flopping between the two. I'll be happy with either. Happier with Fultz. Not Ball, Fox, Monk, or Smith please. Worst case scenario, Isaac looks good to me.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:59:13 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
TP P'saB you perfectly summed up the dilemma.

It's really hard to go against athletic wings who can defend their position. Even Taurean Prince who was mocked to be a roughly 17-22nd pick was taken 12th overall and is averaging 14+ PPG on elite  shooting percentages during this year's playoffs.

It's very easy to see a world where we regret taking Tatum over Jackson simply for the fact that we have more examples of Jackson type players working out in the NBA that guys like Tatum.

I guess for me it's just a gut thing. I feel better about Tatum as a Boston Celtic than Jackson. I believe that Tatum will be more likely to reach his potential in green than Jackson. Tatum fits a need but also fits a culture that will be more conducive to him reaching his potential with us than the type of team that I'd imagine Jackson thriving in 

Tough call but my choice is Tatum especially since we have to Jaylen Brown waiting in the wings
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:48:13 AM by Smartacus »

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:06:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I just don't understand why people prefer Jackson. Jaylen brown is a clone of Jackson. Marcus smart also plays similarly. Why do we need another athletes? We need Tatums smart shooting and offensive weapons

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I just don't understand why people prefer Jackson. Jaylen brown is a clone of Jackson. Marcus smart also plays similarly. Why do we need another athletes? We need Tatums smart shooting and offensive weapons

Jackson plays nothing like Brown. Jackson have better playmaking, rebounding and ball handling. In short, he's a more refined player coming out of college. I don't see the issue when you have guys like Jordan and Pippen playing together. I see Jaylen as a Jordan type and Jackson as a Pippen type. Not saying both will be great as those players mentioned but the skillsets are similar.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 01:55:06 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Jackson plays nothing like Brown. Jackson have better playmaking, rebounding and ball handling. In short, he's a more refined player coming out of college. I don't see the issue when you have guys like Jordan and Pippen playing together. I see Jaylen as a Jordan type and Jackson as a Pippen type. Not saying both will be great as those players mentioned but the skillsets are similar.

Jackson reminds me more of Draymond Green than Brown. I think Jackson would come in to the NBA as a much better defender than Brown. I love Jaylen Brown but I can see him and Jackson coexisting nicely! A defensive line up of Hordford, Jackson, Brown, Smart, and Bradley would be fierce next year!!

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:06:23 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jackson has a sky high basketball iq on both sides of the floor.

He would come in and immediately be able to defend at an NBA level. Weve seen Jaylen getting lost in the playoffs lately. I dont see that happening with Jackson. He is very intelligent and a better on and off ball defender than Brown was coming out of college. That alone would get him and keep him on the floor a lot as a rookie.

Now Im not sure how much he gives you on offense as a rookie. Obviously with his athleticism he will be good in transition and he has great floor vision and constantly makes the right pass, so he wont really ever be unplayable.

Ive got him over Tatum right now, but it is very close. Tatum is terrific.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 03:13:59 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Jacksons basketball iq is so high, his shot selection is the worst of the lottery, his shooting percentages are the worst from everywhere including the free throw line

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 05:17:20 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Jacksons basketball iq is so high, his shot selection is the worst of the lottery, his shooting percentages are the worst from everywhere including the free throw line

51% from the field and 37% from 3pt line. FT% is the only thing you can argue, but shot selection is not one of them

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 06:21:58 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

51% from the field and 37% from 3pt line. FT% is the only thing you can argue, but shot selection is not one of them
His 3pt% can be  just a fluke because his FT% is so bad, the opponent team can just hack him and make him sit on the bench