Poll

Use it or trade it?

This is the best draft class in years!  We have to use it.
21 (87.5%)
Trade it for a proven scorer!  Several are on the market.
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: the 17' Brooklyn pick  (Read 2128 times)

the 17' Brooklyn pick
« on: April 25, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Pivotal moment coming up in the Ainge era. 

Where do you stand on this draft pick? 

Re: the 17' Brooklyn pick
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Danny is gonna use it. He picked smart and brown and didn't move them. He will finish picking to see if can collect the franchise guy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny is gonna use it. He picked smart and brown and didn't move them. He will finish picking to see if can collect the franchise guy
I'm not sure there is much debate here.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Where it lands will have an influence, as well as what other pieces would be needed in a trade.

I can see him moving it even if it's 1st overall. If Paul George becomes available then it's definitely possible. I don't see a true game changer in this draft a la Towns or Davis and we are close to competing with the elites. A player like Paul George solidifies us as contenders for the next 6-7 years if he stays. We'd presumably still have Brown and the Nets 18 pick as well.

If you make the trade George for Zeller, Crowder, Mickey and the Nets 17 on draft night then we still have plenty of youth in the team but we have our legitimate star to go alongside IT and Horford

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yeah, kind of depends where we land.  Seems that Fultz is their guy, so if we have opportunity to draft him, very unlikely we trade the pick.  If he is not available, and Ball is, I could see Danny making a trade if the offer is too good to pass up, say from the Lakers, for example, or Phoenix.

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Use it.

Too many other pieces that need to be attached to make a trade for the top players.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Pick Fultz or trade up for him, I don't believe we can get a star that suits us with the pick itself
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How about a trade for Devon booker or  D'Angelo Russell?

Fultz/Ball or Booker ,Russell who has the highest ceiling?

Booker/Russell are both more ready to contribute to a playoff team IMO. They are both still on rookie contracts I believe, allowing us to still possibly land a max free agent as well.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
take BPA with the pick. 
-no trading up for anyone.  Fultz may be the top player but he's not worth giving up any meaningful assets to get him when also including the, at worst, #4 pick.  The BPA at #4 is still likely to be a really good player.
- no using it in a deal for anything less than an established top player in the league.  The suggestions of trading it for a young player that's inconsistent so far is a bad idea.  if you're giving up a top prospect pick for someone in a trade it's because you're getting someone back that's established. 

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
How about a trade for Devon booker or  D'Angelo Russell?

Fultz/Ball or Booker ,Russell who has the highest ceiling?

Booker/Russell are both more ready to contribute to a playoff team IMO. They are both still on rookie contracts I believe, allowing us to still possibly land a max free agent as well.

The short answer is that this is the difference between fantasy sports and reality. It would make sense to trade for those guys in a fantasy league. In reality, it would be disastrous.

The longer version of this is to actually analyze it. Let's do that now.

Let's take out the easy one. Russell? Fultz' low water mark would be Russell. Russell may be better now but Fultz should quickly surpass him. This isn't a deal I'd even consider unless LA sent back their 1st rounder this year (which they probably can't).

Booker? Okay, let's actually consider that one. We know Booker can score even despite the refs not allowing anyone to play defense on him in that game (26 free throws were absurd). The guy did average 22 ppg this year but on a bad Phoenix team meaning some of those are empty stats. But let's just say he's the more attractive target (which I'm not convinced of - I think Fultz has a significantly higher ceiling).

But here's the problem with both guys - they're going to be coming off the bench. Neither can play with IT because they're massive defensive liabilities. That would literally be one of the worst defensive back courts in recent NBA history. And I don't think we can stick IT on the bench after putting up 29ppg this year. A IT/Booker backcourt would make the Lillard/McCollum backcourt look like it was comprised of Avery Bradley and Dennis Johnson.

In short, they don't fit the needs of the Celtics even if they're better today.

A guy like Fultz is going to come off the bench this coming year and physically has the tools to be a better defender than either of those guys. Thus given his game and the expectations of any draftee, he's a much better fit for the team long term. He can learn the game the right way for a year and then take over a starting spot in 2018 with 3 years left on his deal. 

Finally, another consideration is the cap space. With both of those guys eligible for RFA in two years, it seems like a waste to trade for one to make them come off the bench. Furthermore, the timing of expiring contracts doesn't work as well. Al has 3 more years. Brown is eligible for RFA in 3 years. That's not really a coincidence. If the Cs choose to resign Bradley, IT or a UFA it will likely be for 4 years so that our 2017 draftee is eligible for renewal the same year that larger contract is expiring. Moving that up two years could add complications to the cap situation. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If it falls out of the number 1 pick I think you have to trade it

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think Ainge holding firm with his past picks, and using them himself instead of overpaying for a star, has established that he will not feel pressure to move it and will not undersell the pick. He set himself up nicely that way for this summer.