Author Topic: Break down of Marcus Smart vs 3 other players , and why he is so bad at offense  (Read 1810 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The only positive thing I can say about Marcus's ability to score at this point is that he shot almost 42% on corner threes this year.

However, less than a quarter of his three point attempts were corner threes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I realize Smart is not an efficient scorer. What Marcus needs to do is better recognize his best percentage shots. Shooting the open 3 may not be included in his best percentage shots. In time...I feel he will find himself on the scoring end of the game, using fall-aways in the paint, floaters, or simply finding the open man under the basket.

If any of the players you've listed even dreamed they could demonstrate the intangibles of Smart, (including in the playoffs mind you), they'd call and apologize to him.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
I realize Smart is not an efficient scorer. What Marcus needs to do is better recognize his best percentage shots. Shooting the open 3 may not be included in his best percentage shots. In time...I feel he will find himself on the scoring end of the game, using fall-aways in the paint, floaters, or simply finding the open man under the basket.

If any of the players you've listed even dreamed they could demonstrate the intangibles of Smart, (including in the playoffs mind you), they'd call and apologize to him.

How is that even fair. None of those guys are lucky enough to be in the situation that Smart is in the first place. SO you are just basing this on homeristic views

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

How about Beverley? He seems to be doing a [dang] good job.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
As was said earlier, Smart shoots bad shots because he can't get good ones.  Or better yet, his offensive repertoire has more bad shots in it compared to the average player.

So he has really only one option if he's going to become more efficient...shoot less.  It's unfair and unreasonable to expect smart to maintain the number of shots and become more efficient by taking better shots.  Just not going to happen.

And we know he doesn't, and likely never will become a good finisher.  Just does not have the physical tools or skills.  As for shooting, I wouldn't hold my breath there either.  At best, he'll likely be streaky.