Author Topic: The Debate: Jaylen Brown or Brooklyn Pick (not both)  (Read 7479 times)

Re: The Debate: Jaylen Brown or Brooklyn Pick (not both)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Jaylen Brown isn't good.  The Brooklyn pick is 10x more valuable.
Not sure which Jaylen Brown you have been watching but he is loaded with talent and upside. I am not sure that Jackson and Tatum are going to be all that much better, if better at all, than Brown in 4-5 years when they are established pros.
I'm watching the Jaylen Brown that got back-to-back DNPs.  He's not good at basketball.  Earlier in the season many people were questioning if he eventually would be as good as Jeff Green.  Now I think we'll be lucky if he's ever as good as Gerald Green.  He sucked in College and he sucks in the pros.  He had a PER of 10.3 this season.  Only James Young, Jordan Mickey and Jonas Jerebko were worse.  Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Tatum are light years ahead of him already.  There is no debate here.  The Brooklyn pick is 10x more valuable.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not sure which Jaylen Brown you have been watching but he is loaded with talent and upside. I am not sure that Jackson and Tatum are going to be all that much better, if better at all, than Brown in 4-5 years when they are established pros.
I'm watching the Jaylen Brown that got back-to-back DNPs.  He's not good at basketball.  Earlier in the season many people were questioning if he eventually would be as good as Jeff Green.  Now I think we'll be lucky if he's ever as good as Gerald Green.  He sucked in College and he sucks in the pros.  He had a PER of 10.3 this season.  Only James Young, Jordan Mickey and Jonas Jerebko were worse.  Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Tatum are light years ahead of him already.  There is no debate here.  The Brooklyn pick is 10x more valuable.
Brooklyn pick is more valuable, but Jaylen Brown is gonna be way better than Gerald Green.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
If keeping Brown is redundant given he plays the same position as Butler or George, well isn't keeping the Brooklyn pick where the top 4 players are PGs and wings also redundant?

Drafting Fultz is redundant when looking at the roster as it is currently constituted. But the point being that we will not/should not re-sign all players. I prefer not keeping IT at max dollars. Some might argue that it should be Avery Bradley.

It all depends on what position you see Fultz playing in NBA (PG or SG)? It all comes down to roster and salary balance.

From my perspective, I'd rather have a young developing player in Fultz at the PG position, max out George/Hayward (combined with Horford) and mid-tier players rounding out the roster.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 03:59:20 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Nothing makes me laugh quite like the idea that Danny Ainge can draft a champion.

Just like how you laughed when you said you dont expect anything from Green in the playoffs.

If it were you we'd have drafted a bunch of michael beasleys at number 1.

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I'm watching the Jaylen Brown that got back-to-back DNPs.  He's not good at basketball.   in the season many people were questioning if he eventually would be as good as Jeff Green.  Now I think we'll be lucky if he's ever as good as Gerald Green.  He sucked in College and he sucks in the pros.  He had a PER of 10.3 this season.  Only James Young, Jordan Mickey and Jonas Jerebko were worse.  Fultz, Ball, Jackson and Tatum are light years ahead of him already.  There is no debate here.  The Brooklyn pick is 10x more valuable.

Ehh thats an overreaction to watching a couple of games. Rookie green wouldnt play at all in the regular season.

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Brooklyn pick is more valuable, but Jaylen Brown is gonna be way better than Gerald Green.

It's a little premature to say either that Brown sucks or that he's gonna be way better than The Immortal Gerald Green. Chuckle. Still laughing at that one.

He finished the season well, but his playoff performances have been nothing short of horrendous. Quite discouraging to see how he has reacted to the pressure of the different playoff style. So there's really no doubt which is more valuable, and it's not Jaylen Brown at this point.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard

It's a little premature to say either that Brown sucks or that he's gonna be way better than The Immortal Gerald Green. Chuckle. Still laughing at that one.

He finished the season well, but his playoff performances have been nothing short of horrendous. Quite discouraging to see how he has reacted to the pressure of the different playoff style. So there's really no doubt which is more valuable, and it's not Jaylen Brown at this point.
The only reason Jaylen even played over Gerald this season was out of obligation to force feed developmental minutes to a player we wasted a #3 pick on.  Now that it's playoff time, it's clear Jaylen can't hold a candle to Gerald Green.  Had we given Gerald minutes next to our starters instead of Jaylen, he'd have shot much higher percentages.  Gerald is a better player than Jaylen right now.   Any player we take in the top 4 will be much better than both of them.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

No way Jaylen Brown ever plays on more teams than Gerald Green. No way he ever travels as many miles as Gerald Green! No way Jaylen Brown will make as many 9 fingered jumpshots!
And I want to see him blow out a candle on a dunk like Gerald Green! And until Jaylen plays in Russia, I don't even want him compared to Gerald Green!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 05:33:30 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Look, Jaylen is my favorite current Celtic for what he COULD become, his attitude, and the huge flashes of potential he showed all the time (playoffs excluded, his defensive lapses have been Rozier-esque.) Yet even I can see that the BRK pick is more valuable than Brown. The BRK pick is literally gold. This draft is considered stacked and top heavy, and we own the top. Literally worst case scenario we end up with a tier 1/2 prospect.

Brown could become a great player once his mind catches up to his body and abilities, but it would take a lot of things going wrong for our brk pick to NOT be atleast a borderline all-star level talent.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:34:10 PM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 05:51:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is young, he needs to work on his jumper and handle.   If he does this he will be a player someday.  Tommy believes he will take a big leap in improvement next yeah, I know he is prone to hyperbole, but I think he is right on this one.

We have both so it is a moot question.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

The only reason Jaylen even played over Gerald this season was out of obligation to force feed developmental minutes to a player we wasted a #3 pick on.  Now that it's playoff time, it's clear Jaylen can't hold a candle to Gerald Green.  Had we given Gerald minutes next to our starters instead of Jaylen, he'd have shot much higher percentages.  Gerald is a better player than Jaylen right now.   Any player we take in the top 4 will be much better than both of them.
Gerald green has played professional basketball for 12 years. He should be better than a 20 year old.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 07:33:29 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard

Gerald green has played professional basketball for 12 years. He should be better than a 20 year old.
why can't Chris 'Birdman' Anderson score 70 points in a game like Devin Booker?  He's been playing professional baskeball for 16 years.  He should be better than a 20 year old.

Stop making excuses for Jaylen.  He sucks. Any player we can get in the top 4 is already light years better than him.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Brown filled in admirably when we were without Bradley. He averaged 10.5 and 4 on 49% shooting during the month of February when the Celtics were very good going 8-4. Maybe he has gotten tired or something, but you can't deny he proved he had legit potential during that stretch at 20 years old.

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard

Brown filled in admirably when we were without Bradley. He averaged 10.5 and 4 on 49% shooting during the month of February when the Celtics were very good going 8-4. Maybe he has gotten tired or something, but you can't deny he proved he had legit potential during that stretch at 20 years old.
That reminded me of when Big Baby Davis "filled in admirably" for Kevin Garnett in 2009.  He averaged close to 20 and 10 playing with our starters taking all the attention.  Big Baby sucked too, though.   Jaylen had the 3rd lowest PER on our entire team.  He was a ghost out there on offense for most of the game and his defense was terrible.  He wasn't good.  We would have been better off giving those minutes to Gerald.  Jaylen got the minutes because we are trying to develop him.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

why can't Chris 'Birdman' Anderson score 70 points in a game like Devin Booker?  He's been playing professional baskeball for 16 years.  He should be better than a 20 year old.

Stop making excuses for Jaylen.  He sucks. Any player we can get in the top 4 is already light years better than him.
lol dude. 20 year old kids get better.   Gerald Green has been playing professionally for 12 years. Hes improved hes been around. Hes seen a lot of basketball. Thats why hes more helpful in the playoffs than a raw rookie.

Ill ask you this. Do you think Jaylen Brown will improve substantially over the course of his career. Or is this it for him?