Author Topic: Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball  (Read 6778 times)

Re: Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I doubt the refs take any action on this but I wouldn't mind seeing a crackdown beginning next year to get the league back to 'real dribbling' as opposed to the carry-fest that the league has become.  would put more emphasis on ball movement/passing rather than a PG's ability to palm a ball and carry it to get around defenders.

for that matter, would also like a crackdown on travelling for the same reason.  really can't stand this 'Euro-step' garbage.
What's typically referred to as the "euro step" is not travelling. It's simply changing direction on the one-two to the basket.
It's an extra step to the basket.  instead of the 2 steps that used to be allowed, players are getting 3.  I know that there was a rule change to allow it but I really don't care for it.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
what about refs not calling goal tends off the backboard-that was eggregious
if they start calling those carry's during playoffs  it will cripple players that have been allowed their whole career
does rondo palm and travell

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2017, 11:17:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Chris Forsberg had a nice cmeback to this.  He shows a video of Wade and Butler doing the same thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/856677432803418112?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
This is the real reason Hoiberg is dumb to have done this. If he really wants the refs to start calling palming, he'd better be ready to sit Wade the rest of the series.

BTW, last month BBall Breakdown had a video celebrating IT's basket attacks, the same ones this new video says are illegal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip6abiRT5Kk

I think that says it all. Regardless of whether or not IT's moves are technically illegal (they almost certainly are) everyone in the NBA does this. If the refs start calling IT for it while continuing to ignore everyone else, f that.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I actually do think IT carries in my mind at times when he changes direction with the ball but so do other players like Butler and Wade, as Forsberg points out.  The NBA allows it.

There are lots of little examples.  Although a correctly executed eurostep is not an extra step at all, sometimes they definitely allow an extra step on lay ups it seems more than they used to and they commonly allow anyone to move their feet to hop into jump shots.

Hoiberg already brought it up he said and the refs didn't call anything differently.  Hoiberg also pulls the classic whiner move of saying he does it "every play".  He even started with a brief little compliment before saying IT cheats every play. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:39:23 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Keep in mind that the NBA is very mindful about the flow of the game. If the offense doesn't give an egregious advantage, it will be ignored in favour of having the game continue.

Can you imagine a game where every carry and moving screen is actually whistled? Add in a Hack-a-Drummond and we could be looking at a 5-hour game.

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I blame Allen Iverson.
Yup

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I was watching some teenagers play basketball at the Y the other day. They seemed to almost make a point of palming on every dribble.  They looked silly, as if trying to be cool (they're palming was better than the rest of their game). 

I think overall allowing all of this palming is not good for the appeal of basketball to a wide audience. People will respond to a less cheesy league...but the marketers of course don't believe that.   

I don't know how to fix it though without causing a maelstrom.  Lebron would have to retire. he may be the worst carrier of all. 

Hoiberg is nonetheless an idiot to this now. You can call it smart strategy...but really it's a punk move.
He basically said:  Dear NBA, now that the other team has come back from a 2-0 deficit, will you change the nature of NBA rule enforcement mid playoffs?  And then, if we advance, go back to normal so that Butler and Wade can do their thing?  Thanks, Fred. 

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
People are missing the point.  Hoibergs comments were as much about getting in IT's head ad making the refs call it.  And while I agree that lots of players carry the ball, the question that should be asked is which team would be hurt the most if they actually started calling it.  To my mind, IT has been making that hesitation move A LOT lately.  And, he's far and away our best scorer.  So yeah, lots of players do it.  But we'd likely be hurt more other teams.