Author Topic: Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball  (Read 6782 times)

Re: Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
If IT was in Euroleague he would learn that they will not allow that to go

Here in the NBA everybody gets away with that crap.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The nba isn't going to crack down on palming or traveling simply because it would make the game worse.
TP
Yes, that is the bottom line. If a change would make a game less highlighish (in the long run less appealing and then less profitable), it won't be implemented.
So, rest assured Isaiah will still cut through defenses the same way he does now for years to come.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I doubt the refs take any action on this but I wouldn't mind seeing a crackdown beginning next year to get the league back to 'real dribbling' as opposed to the carry-fest that the league has become.  would put more emphasis on ball movement/passing rather than a PG's ability to palm a ball and carry it to get around defenders.

for that matter, would also like a crackdown on travelling for the same reason.  really can't stand this 'Euro-step' garbage.
What's typically referred to as the "euro step" is not travelling. It's simply changing direction on the one-two to the basket.
It's an extra step to the basket.  instead of the 2 steps that used to be allowed, players are getting 3.  I know that there was a rule change to allow it but I really don't care for it.
It is not an extra step to the basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lk6-vgNGZM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
If IT was in Euroleague he would learn that they will not allow that to go

Here in the NBA everybody gets away with that crap.
If IT were in the Euroleague, he would probably have to retire because he'd be facing three trees camping in the paint for the entirety of the shot clock duration.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
okay so I took off my green goggles and watched this video...and I'm still not onboard with they carrying stuff. 

There are certainly some borderline examples -- but clearly nothing blatant like Hoiberg or video commentator indicate. 

and the thing about taking several steps while dribbling, in between bounces....uhhhh that's not even a rule!  all of the league's MVP candidates have mastered this art.  How else do these guys go full court in three dribbles? 

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I doubt the refs take any action on this but I wouldn't mind seeing a crackdown beginning next year to get the league back to 'real dribbling' as opposed to the carry-fest that the league has become.  would put more emphasis on ball movement/passing rather than a PG's ability to palm a ball and carry it to get around defenders.

for that matter, would also like a crackdown on travelling for the same reason.  really can't stand this 'Euro-step' garbage.
What's typically referred to as the "euro step" is not travelling. It's simply changing direction on the one-two to the basket.
It's an extra step to the basket.  instead of the 2 steps that used to be allowed, players are getting 3.  I know that there was a rule change to allow it but I really don't care for it.
It is not an extra step to the basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lk6-vgNGZM

agree with Koz here.  it's really a difficult move, I've actually been trying to figure it out in the driveway.  as a natural righty, I'll drive the lane and tend to pick up my dribble as I'm taking a step with my right foot, so the next step off my left I'm going up with the shot. 

same idea with the euro step, but imagine that first step with the right foot almost planting and pausing, so you can drive off of it in the opposite direction, sending your 2nd step with the left foot to the opposite side of the lane. 

as an non-athletic short guy with no handles, I find it really hard.  I can sort out the footwork in slow motion, but full speed I can never get the elevation off that 2nd step after the extreme change of direction with the first.  when done right, it's definitely not a travel. 

my feeling is -- if you don't respect what today's guards can do in the small-ball era of the NBA, just grab the rock and try and to replicate their footwork in the driveway --- I guarantee you'll have a new found respect for the skills on display in today's game that, in the past, were easily mitigated through hand-checking & bully-ball.  I mean, back then, you had the Pistons win back to back titles by deploying 'Jordan Rules' which essentially amounted to mugging the other teams best player till they stopped driving the lane. 

I for one, am glad we are getting a more skilled product out of the NBA.  I'm content to let other sports satisfy the urge folks have to watch grown men wrestling and trading blows. 

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
okay so I took off my green goggles and watched this video...and I'm still not onboard with they carrying stuff. 

There are certainly some borderline examples -- but clearly nothing blatant like Hoiberg or video commentator indicate. 

and the thing about taking several steps while dribbling, in between bounces....uhhhh that's not even a rule!  all of the league's MVP candidates have mastered this art.  How else do these guys go full court in three dribbles?
Well, there is this:

https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/status/856577845476212736

But it is somewhat unrelated to what Hoiberg was saying.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Not egregious at all, much milder and inconspicuous relative to the other 'stars' in the league.  This video makes Hoiberg look like that much more of a dumb ass, imo. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 09:58:49 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Not egregious at all, much milder and inconspicuous relative to the other 'stars' in the league.  This video makes Hoiberg look like that much more of a dumb ass, imo.

It makes him look smarter actually. Any coach would do this. Amazingly the refs should also keep an eye on Wade too.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

It makes him look smarter actually. Any coach would do this. Amazingly the refs should also keep an eye on Wade too.

No it makes him look like a whiney dink. Wonder why almost every Chicago fan wants him fired? Go read some Bulls forums for fun. A lot of them would rather lose the series as that means they get to fire Hoidberg.

And no any coach would not do this. Brad Stevens, Popovich, Spoelstra, Kidd, etc. I would like to think they wouldnt cry to refs about how they were getting beat by a specific player. Thats what losers do.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Well, there is this:

yeah that one was a double dribble that should have been called, have to at least give them that...

but the hesitation dribble, crossover, etc --- those are all just filthy, legal moves by one of the NBA's best ball handlers. 

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Chris Forsberg had a nice cmeback to this.  He shows a video of Wade and Butler doing the same thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/856677432803418112?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOL. Great minds.

If IT is gonna be called for it, then Wade and Butler better be called for it as well. I hope it backfires on Hoiberg.

Forsberg made a nice video (with slo-mo!) showing this:

https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/856677432803418112

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:54 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
Isaiah needs to really start watching out for his free throws.  He continuously steps over the line before the ball gets to the rim.  I'm talking about the ball being 2-3 feet away from the rim and his foot is already down a full step across the free throw line.

https://twitter.com/UVaFBallHistory/status/849796103482609666

It's not like he's getting an advantage on an offensive rebound of a missed FT, but it's really egregious.  If I were a ref I'd whisper in his ear before the game and tell him to be aware of it, that I will call it.

Pierce used to have an exaggerated free throw stance where he'd lean forward after the release falling into the lane.  But he'd be very careful to not let his foot hit the floor until the ball either hit the rim or was starting to go through the hoop.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Well, there is this:

yeah that one was a double dribble that should have been called, have to at least give them that...

but the hesitation dribble, crossover, etc --- those are all just filthy, legal moves by one of the NBA's best ball handlers.
It's hard to second-guess in slo-mo because, well, it's slow and whether it's a violation depends on how long the ball sticks to the hand. I predict he'll get called once "for color" in a nonconsequential situation in Game 5 and that will be it.