Author Topic: Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball  (Read 6763 times)

Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:28:23 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpRZUazIurw

Wow, y'all see this way to overblow things outta proportion this videos ridiculous. Of course in slow mo everything will look like a travel. If IT is getting called for a bunch of carries next game that'd be some BS.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Bballbreakdown on IT carrying the ball
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:31:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
They almost never call carrying or dribbling above shoulders.
IMO, it is more about how long you carry then do you carry.
If it is like a split sec, as Isaiah does it, then it is fine.
If you are going around like a waiter, then it should be called.
In all truthiness, IT is so fast, twitchy and cunning that it is hard to be 100% sold on criteria as there is no similar example of size, skill and hand speed in the league. If there were 50 guys his size and speed, say 6'7'', 225 lbs dude, then criteria would be established more easily.
Maybe CP3 is the closest to IT in that regard and they don't call it on him.
Calling out a 2-time all-star that just had a personal tragedy for carrying isn't going to make you more relatable to the to the public or referees. Weak move by Hoiberg.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:47:31 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I watched this earlier and it's great.
To me, IT's carrying on crossovers isn't too bad, it's his hesitation 'freeze' dribbles where he takes 3 steps before bouncing the ball again that are the ones that are impossible to call for refs.

But yeah, many other players carry the ball more than IT, but not many get away with travels in the way IT does. Gives him an enormous advantage blowing by defenders.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 06:22:47 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Here's a good perspective from, inter alia, Stephen Jackson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHhsF8-eQME

Basically everyone is doing it in the NBA, and I'd really like to see the reactions if the refs decide to call out IT for carrying the ball in the upcoming game.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
If IT is gonna be called for it, then Wade and Butler better be called for it as well. I hope it backfires on Hoiberg.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:55:28 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
If IT is gonna be called for it, then Wade and Butler better be called for it as well. I hope it backfires on Hoiberg.

Exactly this.

Guys like Nash, Kidd, Parker, Manu made hesitation dribbles legal a longgg time ago.  Especially for MVP candidates.

If you think IT carries then watch some Kyrie or James Harden. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The refs can't start calling it now - it will make them look extremely weak and impressionable.

If this is something the league wants to take into consideration over the summer, then you will start seeing calls next pre-season. Kind-of like last year when the refs seemed to randomly begin calling travels on every pump-fake drive (a la KO's favorite move - Yab seems to have a bit of this, too) a couple of seasons ago.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I doubt the refs take any action on this but I wouldn't mind seeing a crackdown beginning next year to get the league back to 'real dribbling' as opposed to the carry-fest that the league has become.  would put more emphasis on ball movement/passing rather than a PG's ability to palm a ball and carry it to get around defenders.

for that matter, would also like a crackdown on travelling for the same reason.  really can't stand this 'Euro-step' garbage. 

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
To be fair, that case in which he put the balll from his left hand in his right and kept dribbling was pretty egregious.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I doubt the refs take any action on this but I wouldn't mind seeing a crackdown beginning next year to get the league back to 'real dribbling' as opposed to the carry-fest that the league has become.  would put more emphasis on ball movement/passing rather than a PG's ability to palm a ball and carry it to get around defenders.

for that matter, would also like a crackdown on travelling for the same reason.  really can't stand this 'Euro-step' garbage.
What's typically referred to as the "euro step" is not travelling. It's simply changing direction on the one-two to the basket.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Unless these video breakdowns are looking at a representative selection of players for comparison, it's kind of useless to examine a player in slow motion for infractions.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
what about refs not calling goal tends off the backboard-that was eggregious
if they start calling that stuff during playoffs  it will cripple players that have been allowed their whole career
does rondo palm and travell

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The nba isn't going to crack down on palming or traveling simply because it would make the game worse. 

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

What's typically referred to as the "euro step" is not travelling. It's simply changing direction on the one-two to the basket.
It's an extra step to the basket.  instead of the 2 steps that used to be allowed, players are getting 3.  I know that there was a rule change to allow it but I really don't care for it.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 09:14:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
The nba isn't going to crack down on palming or traveling simply because it would make the game worse. 
I disagree.  A return to the rules as they were applied in the 80's would not make the game worse.  IMHO, the game has gotten worse since that decade with the relaxation of the rules.   

Of course I also miss big men that played in the post and knew how to score as opposed to the current breed that stands out at the 3 point line chucking jumpers. 

probably makes me a dinosaur here.