Would you make this trade

Yes
42 (47.7%)
No
43 (48.9%)
It is what it Is.
3 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Poll: Avery, Jae, Nets 2018 for George  (Read 7398 times)

Re: Poll: Avery, Jae, Nets 2018 for George
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 07:59:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He doesn't want to be here

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Subtract Bradley and replace the 18 pick with the 17 pick

This is like the exact opposite of what I think should happen in this scenario. Bradley is going to cost absurd amounts to keep, while Fultz or who we take with this years pick is cost controlled. This is especially important given we will have to toss a max at PG13 in like a year, and big money at IT4 on top of Horfords max.
#JKJB

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Not unless he agrees to an extension, just too much for only 1 year of George.  Plus as someone else said it doesn't work cap wise.

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
How could we still sign Hayward in free agency after that trade? We will already struggle to open the necessary space, making a trade where we take on money makes it even harder. Milsap's max is higher than Hayward's as well.

So the teams wouldn't look like you describe. You'd have to send the Nets 17 in this trade instead of the Nets 18.

Would I make that trade? Tempting for the upgrade in talent but no not without George agreeing to an extension, which I doubt he does.

Paul George will make $19.3M

AB will make $8.8M
Crowder will make $6.8M
The #3 pick (for instance) will make $4.7

For a total of $20.3M

I am sure my numbers are off and I will be corrected, but a basic trade that KGLL has laid out, plus a signing of Hayward should be able to be completed later in the summer after the 30 days has gone by for our rookie signing. Trading for Butler in this scenario is actually a lot easier since he will only make $17.5M next year and, of course, is signed for an extra year.

Anyway, if trading for either George or Butler guaranteed us Hayward, then yes, of course I do the deal (although losing Crowder and our 2017 pick will absolutely obliterate our future cap).

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
So basically, we're just going to buy an nba title

Sounds good to me

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Not unless he agrees to an extension, just too much for only 1 year of George.  Plus as someone else said it doesn't work cap wise.

The cap does not matter, it's play now time  , you are committing like the Cavs to winning ......you don't stop short of the prize . And loose because you did not want to spend to compete.

You bring George to the finals ....that's reason for him to stay and like the Cavs and LeBron , you keep pouring in the money to get over that hump. 

LeBron would not stay on the Cavs team,  if they would stay under the cap. He d go insane ,  and leave.   Paul George will go to Lakers because they are willing to spend above the cap to assemble a team to compete. 

You bring George , he is not gonna stay , if you **** foot around for years waiting on the draft to produce the next Irving or Wade .

If you bring him .....you are now all in ,  same as KD , you have to expect to exceed the cap to keep a core of players there .

Pacers don't have forever to put other stars around George .  They have most likely have  dily dally too long already to seriously upgrade to hold on to George .  Now they may have to go back to tank seasons.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:46:55 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 08:42:21 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

The cap does not matter, it's play now time  , you are committing like the Cavs to winning ......you don't stop short of the prize . And loose because you did not want to spend to compete.

LeBron would not stay on the Cavs team,  if they would stay under the cap. He d go insane ,  and leave.   Paul George will go to Lakers because they are willing to spend above the cap to assemble a team to compete. 

You bring George , he is not gonna stay , if you **** foot around for years waiting on the draft to produce the next Irving or Wade .

If you bring him .....you are now all in ,  same as KD , you have to expect to exceed the cap to keep a core of players there .

Apart from the cap, you are not addressing our main concern, he'll maybe leave after a year. A year when nobody guarantees you a championship even with him and Hayward.

So...if he doesn't sign an extension, no trade.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Call me crazy but I might do this trade without any guarantee he'd sign long term. We aren't resigning bradley anyways so the trade is basically crowder and 2018 for george. With GSW getting worse and the cavs getting worse each year it's our time to pounce the next 2 years.

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How could we still sign Hayward in free agency after that trade? We will already struggle to open the necessary space, making a trade where we take on money makes it even harder. Milsap's max is higher than Hayward's as well.

So the teams wouldn't look like you describe. You'd have to send the Nets 17 in this trade instead of the Nets 18.

Would I make that trade? Tempting for the upgrade in talent but no not without George agreeing to an extension, which I doubt he does.

Paul George will make $19.3M

AB will make $8.8M
Crowder will make $6.8M
The #3 pick (for instance) will make $4.7

For a total of $20.3M

I am sure my numbers are off and I will be corrected, but a basic trade that KGLL has laid out, plus a signing of Hayward should be able to be completed later in the summer after the 30 days has gone by for our rookie signing. Trading for Butler in this scenario is actually a lot easier since he will only make $17.5M next year and, of course, is signed for an extra year.

Anyway, if trading for either George or Butler guaranteed us Hayward, then yes, of course I do the deal (although losing Crowder and our 2017 pick will absolutely obliterate our future cap).

KGLL is proposing that we trade the 2018 pick and keep the 2017 pick.  That is the problem with his numbers.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
voted no for 2 reasons.
1. there's no commitment from PG that he stays past next year instead of bolting the to Lakers (or somewhere else).  No way I part with 3 of our 6 top trade assets for a 1 year rental of George.

2. IF PG agreed to extent here (very big IF), I'd be more inclined to include the 2017 pick for 2 reasons--> A) because we already know it's a top 4 pick at worst, we may be able to hang on to either AB or Crowder and substitute a lesser asset in their place.  (B) This draft has primarily guards which is what we have the most of.  2018 has more big man prospects which we sorely need.  Even though I strongly believe the 2018 pick will be top 8 at worst, that's not a guarantee (although I've pegged the range of the Nets picks accurately so far) but a risk I'd be willing to take to get a good big man to build with for the future.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
A trade for the 2018 pick is a bad idea because it costs us a free agent signing too.

So if its the 2017 pick, we would be making such a trade already knowing draft position. I'd be OK with it only if we knew we couldn't get Fultz, and we had high confidence in signing Hayward, Griffin or Milsap. If we couldn't get one of those guys, we wouldn't have enough to compete for a title. We'd be better off loading up for the future.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He doesn't want to be here
He wants to win, he'll like it here just fine if it's as part of one of the best teams in the league.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 09:32:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Subtract Bradley and replace the 18 pick with the 17 pick

This is like the exact opposite of what I think should happen in this scenario. Bradley is going to cost absurd amounts to keep, while Fultz or who we take with this years pick is cost controlled. This is especially important given we will have to toss a max at PG13 in like a year, and big money at IT4 on top of Horfords max.
Well if we're going to include Bradley and Crowder, I would want to replace the 18 Brooklyn pick with the Memphis pick, Clippers pick, our '18 first round pick and 3 second round draft picks of their choice (ofc they can take Mickey or Jackson as one 2nd each)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
George will opt out this summer and play for the Fakers at the max.

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 09:43:26 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would do this trade. I don't buy the rumors that PG wants to play for the Lakers. The dude wants to play for a winner and he wants to beat Lebron. The Lakers don't give him an opportunity to do that. Looking far ahead, if we make it to the ECF and go down against Cleveland in 6 games, I think he'd be very intrigued to join us.
- LilRip