Author Topic: Thon Maker  (Read 3142 times)

Re: Thon Maker
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 02:45:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jaylen Brown has shown to me to be a much better all around talent than Maker and has a higher ceiling than Maker. So that said, if Brown, who had a better year than Maker, and Brown couldn't make a difference for the Celtics this year(he subbed in for AB pretty well but wasn't a difference maker on this team), how exactly was Maker going to do so?

I personally think Maker is lying about his age and is going to max out as a mediocre offensive talent, an okay defensive talent and a horrid rebounder for someone with his height, wingspan and reach.
From what Ive seen of Maker, he looks remarkably intelligent(ie not lost) on defense.

Jaylen Brown looked lost on defense down the stretch.

Perhaps the Bucks play a simpler system, or perhaps Maker just has a better defensive bbiq.

if its the latter then he would have helped us in this series.
I don't see that Maker looks so much better on defense than Brown. Brown has had his bad days but Brown also has to guard 2s and 3s, like Butler, Wade, and towards season's end Lebron, Otto Porter, Bradley Beal, Nicolas Batum and others. Maker plays inside and has less responsibilities to the defense the Bucks play than Brown does with the defense that Boston plays.

Brown has looked bad in the losses to the Bulls but Maker has looked equally as bad in the Bucks losses to the Raptors. Maker didn't look especially good this year. I would still take Brown over Maker, short term and long.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Thon Maker is definitely interesting but his skinny knock knees give me pause. I think he'll be a good player but will struggle to gain strength (obv guessing). KG was skinny but also the most explosive guy on the floor. Thon has something Manute-like in his movement.

JB's physique, work ethic and growing skill set are encouraging. Definitely like what I see in him, regardless of a couple low moments in two playoff games. 

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jaylen Brown has shown to me to be a much better all around talent than Maker and has a higher ceiling than Maker. So that said, if Brown, who had a better year than Maker, and Brown couldn't make a difference for the Celtics this year(he subbed in for AB pretty well but wasn't a difference maker on this team), how exactly was Maker going to do so?

I personally think Maker is lying about his age and is going to max out as a mediocre offensive talent, an okay defensive talent and a horrid rebounder for someone with his height, wingspan and reach.
From what Ive seen of Maker, he looks remarkably intelligent(ie not lost) on defense.

Jaylen Brown looked lost on defense down the stretch.

Perhaps the Bucks play a simpler system, or perhaps Maker just has a better defensive bbiq.

if its the latter then he would have helped us in this series.
I don't see that Maker looks so much better on defense than Brown. Brown has had his bad days but Brown also has to guard 2s and 3s, like Butler, Wade, and towards season's end Lebron, Otto Porter, Bradley Beal, Nicolas Batum and others. Maker plays inside and has less responsibilities to the defense the Bucks play than Brown does with the defense that Boston plays.

Brown has looked bad in the losses to the Bulls but Maker has looked equally as bad in the Bucks losses to the Raptors. Maker didn't look especially good this year. I would still take Brown over Maker, short term and long.
as would I.

I should have been more clear. I would not swap Brown for Maker, but I do think its very possible Maker could have helped us in these playoffs, where Brown, so far, has not.

Would I trade zizic and Yabu for him? Im not sure. Perhaps.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.