Author Topic: Thon Maker  (Read 3125 times)

Thon Maker
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Watching Maker play against Toronto.  This kid can play!  Thinking he could have made a real difference this season if he were in a Celtics Jersey.  Could have traded down from #3 and got another piece as well.  I know,I  know...hindsight is20-20, but we knew we needed a big and went and got another wing.   Ugh
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

Re: Thon Maker
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
All I can say man is that Milwaukee has decided to put their faith in high ceiling African born prospects and it has worked out for them. I think Jason Kidd is a perfect coach for the job since he seems capable of getting the most out of their talent, but I'm not sure either Maker or Antetokoumpo would be able to play as well as they are if they were in Boston or make the kind of reads that Brad is looking for in our system.

Just a situation where Milwaukee being right for taking them does not necessarily make us wrong for passing on them.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jaylen Brown has shown to me to be a much better all around talent than Maker and has a higher ceiling than Maker. So that said, if Brown, who had a better year than Maker, couldn't make a difference for the Celtics this year(he subbed in for AB pretty well but wasn't a difference maker on this team), how exactly was Maker going to do so?

I personally think Maker is lying about his age and is going to max out as a mediocre offensive talent, an okay defensive talent and a horrid rebounder for someone with his height, wingspan and reach.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:41:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Jaylen Brown has shown to me to be a much better all around talent than Maker and has a higher ceiling than Maker. So that said, if Brown, who had a better year than Maker, and Brown couldn't make a difference for the Celtics this year(he subbed in for AB pretty well but wasn't a difference maker on this team), how exactly was Maker going to do so?

I personally think Maker is lying about his age and is going to max out as a mediocre offensive talent, an okay defensive talent and a horrid rebounder for someone with his height, wingspan and reach.
From what Ive seen of Maker, he looks remarkably intelligent(ie not lost) on defense.

Jaylen Brown looked lost on defense down the stretch.

Perhaps the Bucks play a simpler system, or perhaps Maker just has a better defensive bbiq.

if its the latter then he would have helped us in this series.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:40:12 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
Jaylen Brown has shown to me to be a much better all around talent than Maker and has a higher ceiling than Maker. So that said, if Brown, who had a better year than Maker, and Brown couldn't make a difference for the Celtics this year(he subbed in for AB pretty well but wasn't a difference maker on this team), how exactly was Maker going to do so?

From what Ive seen of Maker, he looks remarkably intelligent(ie not lost) on defense.

Jaylen Brown looked lost on defense down the stretch.

Perhaps the Bucks play a simpler system, or perhaps Maker just has a better defensive bbiq.

if its the latter then he would have helped us in this series.

Exactly.  Brown may have had a better regular season,but Maker didn't really get the opportunity Brown did - mainly because we had to play Brown if for no other reason than he was a top 3 pick.  Maker plays a position that we desperately need talent at -and he is contributing big-time to his teams success in the playoffs - whereas Hayden has been a ghost.  I see no reason he wouldn't be as good or better as a Celtic. He is a smart play maker for a rookie  big, he alters a lot of shots, rebounds well and even has some range.  IMO this guy was exactly what we needed. 

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:41:50 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
I'd certainly rather see him on the floor than Amir, Kelly or Zeller. 

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I really like TM.  However, I think JB will be the better player.  We won't know until 2020 though.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I've wanted this kid to be available at #16 but Bucks had other plans by drafting him at #10.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:11:39 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Really?

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:10 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I liked Maker when I saw him before the draft. Reminded me of a young KG. I thought he would go in the top 15. Others didn't think so. Didn't he go 10th?

It's disturbing Ainge seems to dismiss big guys like this. Doesn't he realize it was KG that got him a Championship here?  And Perk's big presence around the rim was a factor as well. Those types are missing on the present Celtics.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 11:34:52 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
All I can say man is that Milwaukee has decided to put their faith in high ceiling African born prospects and it has worked out for them. I think Jason Kidd is a perfect coach for the job since he seems capable of getting the most out of their talent, but I'm not sure either Maker or Antetokoumpo would be able to play as well as they are if they were in Boston or make the kind of reads that Brad is looking for in our system.

Just a situation where Milwaukee being right for taking them does not necessarily make us wrong for passing on them.

Giannis was born in Athens, just FYI. Unless you are talking about another Buck..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 11:39:58 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I liked Maker when I saw him before the draft. Reminded me of a young KG. I thought he would go in the top 15. Others didn't think so. Didn't he go 10th?

It's disturbing Ainge seems to dismiss big guys like this. Doesn't he realize it was KG that got him a Championship here?  And Perk's big presence around the rim was a factor as well. Those types are missing on the present Celtics.

How did he dismiss when he actually went for Yabusele at 16 and Zizic at 23? Drafting Maker at #3 spot, now that's a huge reach.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

How did he dismiss when he actually went for Yabusele at 16 and Zizic at 23? Drafting Maker at #3 spot, now that's a huge reach.

If Maker is 19, he'd have been worth a top 3 pick. I would only take Simmons and maybe Jaylen over him.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:57 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Watching Maker play against Toronto.  This kid can play!  Thinking he could have made a real difference this season if he were in a Celtics Jersey.  Could have traded down from #3 and got another piece as well.  I know,I  know...hindsight is20-20, but we knew we needed a big and went and got another wing.   Ugh

There is no way we would have pick maker three that would have been an extreme reach.  That said he did come in and work out for us and I believe the coaching staff had a lot of positive things to say about his workout with Boston.  I think he outplayed everybody in the workout group.  He was projected early second round with the possibility of sneaking up into the end of the first round.  I think just before the draft there was talk that he could go mid first.  I was hoping Boston could steel him at 16.  No one saw him going at 10 and really everyone thought that was a reach until summer league.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:46 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28

There is no way we would have pick maker three that would have been an extreme reach.  That said he did come in and work out for us and I believe the coaching staff had a lot of positive things to say about his workout with Boston.  I think he outplayed everybody in the workout group.  He was projected early second round with the possibility of sneaking up into the end of the first round.  I think just before the draft there was talk that he could go mid first.  I was hoping Boston could steel him at 16.  No one saw him going at 10 and really everyone thought that was a reach until summer league.

I disagree.
Almost all the pre-draft boards had Maker going between 10-25.
I didn't see any that had him in the second round.
As far as being a "reach," again, I disagree.  It was a two man draft, everything after was seen as comparable.  The videos I saw of Maker showed someone with real promise and I would not have blamed Danny for taking a project.  Afterall, isn't that what Jaylen's turning out to be?