Poll

If we do advance to round two, would you rather have Washington or Atlanta?

Washington
36 (59%)
Atlanta
25 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: If we do advance to round two, would you rather have Washington or Atlanta?  (Read 4385 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think this is an interesting question that should be asked.

Case for preferring Atlanta:
1) Overall, Washington is the better and more skilled team. I think they have considerable more talent than Atlanta, and Washington would have the best player in the series in Wall, though it's close.
2) Washington has played us tough this year with a personal vendetta against us after getting swept by us last year, I would expect much of the same in the playoffs with things getting really chippy.
3) Washington is a monster at home, and it'd be hard to win there. On the other hand, we've beaten Atlanta at Atlanta already this year.

Case for preferring Washington:
1) Though a better overall team than Atlanta, we matchup much better with Washington than Atlanta, who has exposed us at times this year. Atlanta has similar advantages over us as Chicago.
2) We have a much better record vs Washington (6-2) than Atlanta (4-9) in the past two years.
3) Washington is not the same team on the road as they are at home, so HCA could suffice. Atlanta has actually beaten us in Boston already this year.

So what do you think? Which team would you rather face in round two, should we advance?

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Let's see if we advance first
Greg

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Washington, so I can go to a playoff game or two.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Atlanta are the worse team so I pick them.

Either way, Boston should be the favourite.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd much rather the Celts not have to deal with John Wall.

Atlanta is a deeper team and they present some major matchup issues for the Celts, but the Celts would have the best player in that series, which is always preferable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Washington. Just from a pure entertainment standpoint. More star players. There's actually some hate there. Plus, I think they are a worse defensive team that Atlanta.

Atlanta owns the C's. No thanks. I'd rather not have to watch Millsap average like 40 pts a game against the C's.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Washington, so I can go to a playoff game or two.

Selfish Salty!

(I'll be saying the same thing next year in Cleveland - haven't been lucky enough to live in an NBA city yet.)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Atlanta is a deeper team and they present some major matchup issues for the Celts, but the Celts would have the best player in that series, which is always preferable.

Yeah, even with their matchup advantages, I just don't trust the Hawks' offense. I also love the storyline of Al playing his former team.

Though ultimately I don't think it will matter. This series between the Hawks and Wizards probably goes 7, and I favor Washington since they have HCA.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
if we do get out of the 1st round, washington

we already seen how much trouble we are in when being outrebounded by the Bulls alone, just imagine what our rebounding problems will look like against Dwight and Milsap

at least for Washington i think our talents are similar, so that theoretical series is more about effort and hustle

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'd like the Celtics to play against the best so they can gain experience and improve. I hope they play Washington. It's going to be a challenge, but should be fun.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

With our present makeup most teams, present matchup issues for us, PhoSita.

Ainge needs to get another legit big in the offseason.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Atlanta's front court will demolish us.

I choose Washington. But of course, all this is a moot point if we can't win Game 5, 6 or even 7 in this first-round series.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I voted Atlanta.

If we get by Chi after being down 2-0, we'll be a confident group going into the next series.

I know that we had trouble with the Hawks this year and last.

I figure we owe'em.

Let's put those demons to rest.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

With our present makeup most teams, present matchup issues for us, PhoSita.

Ainge needs to get another legit big in the offseason.

Agreed, but I fear Dwight Howard and Paul Millsap a lot more than Markieff Morris and Marcin Gortat.

But again, John Wall is the best player on any of the teams mentioned -- all respect to Isaiah -- so I'd be more concerned about facing Washington.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

not to worry about wall. i am sure that olynyk will be able to "take care" of him.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva