Author Topic: Hey Mr. Hoidberg, it's called a "hesitation dribble"... NOT a carry  (Read 4936 times)

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I just got done slowing down frame by frame all of IT's plays last night.

Never once did I see his hand go under the ball or see him "discontinue" his dribble.

He simply has one of the best hesitation dribbles ever, due to the fact that he's one of the quickest NBA players ever... because hes only 5'6, his legs are shorter and can move faster then all the 6'3+ players the Bulls have.

Pathetic excuse and completely classless, you will NEVER see CBS complaining like this after a loss.   

Re: Hey Mr. Hoidberg, it's called a "hesitation dribble"... NOT a carry
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
TP for the slow-mo research.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
It's palming, all day every day.  But, they all do it, and it's never called anymore. Hoiberg is just pulling a Phil Jackson move.  Perhaps it will net him one call next game.  It's a bit classless, but he's just doing whatever he can to tilt the series back towards the Bulls.  Doesn't bother me.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It's palming, all day every day.  But, they all do it, and it's never called anymore. Hoiberg is just pulling a Phil Jackson move.  Perhaps it will net him one call next game.  It's a bit classless, but he's just doing whatever he can to tilt the series back towards the Bulls.  Doesn't bother me.
Greg

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, I didn't do the extensive research but from I saw, it's definitely palming much of the time.  Only a real issue when used to the offensive player's advantage though.  Rozier pretty much palms the ball every time he dribbles it but he doesn't do much with it.

And yeah, lots of players do this nowadays.  Pretty much started with AI because when you look at guys in the 80's, they dribbled straight up and down.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean... IT carries the ball all the time.

But so does Rondo, and most of the other ballhandlers in the NBA.

Hoiberg's complaint is based on an outdated application of the rules.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Good ol' Phil. I'm glad he's no longer a figurehead for superteams—I mean, "coaching."

Anyway, any coach with Duh-wayne "I'm allowed to climb the front of defenders' bodies and get the and-one call" Wade shouldn't be complaining about the officiating of another team's star.

And hey! There's finally a Celtics player who might be getting the star treatment!! That only took forever.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 03:35:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean... IT carries the ball all the time.

But so does Rondo, and most of the other ballhandlers in the NBA.

Hoiberg's complaint is based on an outdated application of the rules.

Right. And Rondo, Wade and Butler are all offenders as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I didn't go back and watch but I just assume IT carried the ball because that's what he does. And like others have said, so do many other players in the league.

This all goes back to why the call isn't made. It's actually a difficult call because there are times where a player can "borderline" carry the ball without definitively doing so. We don't want to see a bunch of carries called in a game. But we especially don't want to see carries called when it actually wasn't palming. So the rule is very lenient. I'm ok with that. It's been this way for a long time. No news here.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:42 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I just got done slowing down frame by frame all of IT's plays last night.

Never once did I see his hand go under the ball or see him "discontinue" his dribble.

He simply has one of the best hesitation dribbles ever, due to the fact that he's one of the quickest NBA players ever... because hes only 5'6, his legs are shorter and can move faster then all the 6'3+ players the Bulls have.

Pathetic excuse and completely classless, you will NEVER see CBS complaining like this after a loss.

lol at 'he's only 5'6.  8)

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
If Hoiberg is pulling this out of his pocket, it tells me he's out of moves and he's grasping. He went to Cannon and IT lit him up. He's got nothing else. This series may be over but let's play the games and see.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Sure, they'll start calling carrying right after they start calling traveling.

Speaking of traveling, does anyone remember this Sportscenter commercial? Bonus points for using Little Penny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVs6qmtrcAo

Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Well it's settled, I'm now calling him "Mr. Hoidberg" for the rest of the series.

I mean, if I didn't know anything and someone asked me to picture "Mr. Hoidberg" in my head, he would look like this:

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 04:51:16 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Sure, they'll start calling carrying right after they start calling traveling.

If they call Isaiah for carrying/palming/traveling and only him, I'll be livid, this whole city would be. If they suddenly started calling everything by the book on every player, though, I would be thrilled because, after a short brutal adjustment period, fans of recent vintage who think old school basketball is corny would get to see how hard it actually is to play basketball like pre-Iverson generations. And it's just more fun to watch a sport where the players aren't constantly cheating. This ain't like the neighborhood rule in baseballl that happened once or twice a game. Somebody palms/carries/travels on every possession of the game. It's the most flagrantly ignored rule of any sport and it's not some minor rule but one of the fundamental laws. So, good riddance to palming and carrying and traveling. But, it better not just be called on IT.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hoiberg is a lousy coach, and I'm glad Stevens is outwitting him the last 2 games.