Author Topic: How many playoffs teams would Smart start for?  (Read 2741 times)

Re: How many playoffs teams would Smart start for?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 05:36:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
A lot of these borderline cases Spurs, Bucks, Cavs it is going to come down to coaching preference that we are just guessing at.

For example, on the Cavs nobody could convince me that they wouldn't be a better starting 5 with Smart over Smith. The Cavs were absolutely horrendus on defense for most of the season and even worse the second half of the year. Smith is clearly on the decline as a 32 year old that relied heavily on athleticism. Whether it age or rust, he is just not shooting the ball well anymore and continues to make bone headed plays (he is the opposite of smart in this way)

While I could buy the argument that there is some ego and contract decisions that would complicate it, I think Lebron would probably love Smart and would say they needed his defense on the first unit (Kyrie is awful) and Smith would shut up cause he knows where his bread is buttered.

While it is an interesting counter point regarding shumpert the Cavs coaching staff just doesn't love him. For a team desperately needing defensive stops he is only playing about 15 minutes a game in the playoffs. Either his defense his slipped or there is something else going on on a team really needing defensive players.

I think the Jazz would go Hill, Smart, Hayward, Johnson, Gobert and have a really nice mix of shooting, rebounding and offense. I actually think that team would be a bit scary for teams to play.

I think taking all these cases, you can at least make a reasonable argument for Smart starting for half the teams in the playoffs with 6 of them probably being pretty clear cut.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:29 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Wow, talk about alternative universe. I'm not really sure he starts for ANY other playoff team.  He's simply not a starting caliber player.  And most of those teams would take a shooter over smart any way.

Agreed lol. No way would he start on the Cavs, that's for sure. Teams value shooting over defense. It's literally 4 on 5 when he's out there.

Ok first off guys. If you want to be constructive and have a good debate, why not actually add some sort of real argument to your point. I can make a pretty compelling case that Smart was an upgrade over Smith for example this season.

Smith, while bothered by injuries, averaged 8.5 points and shot 34% from the floor overall. The scoring average was his lowest in 11 years and the shooting percentage was the lowest of his career. He was little help on the boards averaging 2.8 and not much of a playmaker on offense averaging 1.5 assists.

You then take into the account that the Cavaliers how an absolutely amazing offense but where one of the worst defending teams in the league. Both of you somehow think they would want to add another shooter instead of working to improve their defensive and offsetting Smith's lousy offense and defense?

I mean honestly, if you actually took the time to think about this it is incredibly hard to argue that the Cavs would not have been a better team starting Smart over Smith in the games he started this year. Your posts also are prime example of negativity without substance and I would truly love it if could try to refute the points i have made here with intelligent discourse.

Also before you go over the top and say every team wants shooters, realize there are elite defensive players that are bad shooters that are starting on playoff teams. Do you guys watch other teams at all? Roberson is a prime example of this starting for the Thunder. He shot 24% from 3 this year and was such a poor foul shooter he was intentionally fouled 5-6 times yesterday going 1-13 from the line or something close to that. He makes Smart look like Steph Curry. Yet there he is starting for the Thunder and making a positive impact with his defense. SMH at ignorance.

Dude, Smith has been injured this season. You really think Lebron would put his boy on the bench? Smith was pretty big for them for a few games last year in the playoffs actually. And you like Roberson? Have you not noticed how hard it's been for the Thunder to score? I mean that team is anemic talent wise. Westbrook has been carrying them. Using Roberson as an example doesn't help your arguement imo. Thunder are about to lose in 5 games lol. What a great player Roberson is. Same with your boy Oladipo.

Lol @ ignorance. Pretty sad you went there because we didn't agree with you. You sound like Smart from last night after he had the ball taking from him. He cried about it like a big baby losing candy and it resulted in a technical.

I named/discussed a long list of players including Snell, Jr Smith, Ingles, Roberson, Danny Green, CJ Miles, 40 year old Vince Carter and Tim Hardaway Jr that are all starting at the same position/similar role to Smart. While these players all have their strengths. They also have their weaknesses. And if you look at the stats pretty close it is hard to argue that Smart wouldn't start all over them. Blindly coming in and not responding to that point at all with "He's simply not a starting calibar player" while offering no explanation of how those players are better than smart is ignorant/obnoxious. It is either ignorant of the role and skillset of those other players to think they are all superior to Smart, or it just obnoxiously hating for the sake of it. Either way it is not a strong post.

I only mentioned the Cavs in my response and you acted like a baby. I don't know where all those other names came into play. I get it, you're feeling insecure about your post and need some reassurance. BUT I HAVE ALREADY SAID EVERYTHING I NEED TO SAY ABOUT SMART. I know you have read them, you even once agreed with me earlier this year in regards to Smart. So sorry for not posting a detailed retort.

Smart is better than Roberson. I disagree on Green because he is a good defender imo and can shoot the 3. Memphis yes, because he would be replacing an injured Tony Allen. Not because Carter is 40. But because their starter is injured. I like Smart over Hardaway as well.

How about CJ Miles and Joe Ingles? Also, is he not better than a 34 year old Tony Allen regardless?

it's crazy how people underrate Joe Ingles.

Ingles is perfect for that team , wether you think Smart should start means nothing. Lou Williams can start for any team in the playoffs if they wanted to. You sacrifice something with everybody.

But you know what the difference would be? That he would end up killing his team on offense throwing up bricks and would be immediately subbed.

He is perfect for the Celtics team because the other point guard plays 0 defense and plays all world offense.

Stop trying to make him more important than he is in reality. To this team he is important...but we aint going nowhere.

If it finally came down to paying Smart to be a starter, we will either overpay , or suck because If Smart is starting , we will be a pretty below average team.

I never crap on what Smart means to the team. I just know the team that starts him either sucks, or has no chance to be a good team.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Wow, talk about alternative universe. I'm not really sure he starts for ANY other playoff team.  He's simply not a starting caliber player.  And most of those teams would take a shooter over smart any way.

Agreed lol. No way would he start on the Cavs, that's for sure. Teams value shooting over defense. It's literally 4 on 5 when he's out there.

Ok first off guys. If you want to be constructive and have a good debate, why not actually add some sort of real argument to your point. I can make a pretty compelling case that Smart was an upgrade over Smith for example this season.

Smith, while bothered by injuries, averaged 8.5 points and shot 34% from the floor overall. The scoring average was his lowest in 11 years and the shooting percentage was the lowest of his career. He was little help on the boards averaging 2.8 and not much of a playmaker on offense averaging 1.5 assists.

You then take into the account that the Cavaliers how an absolutely amazing offense but where one of the worst defending teams in the league. Both of you somehow think they would want to add another shooter instead of working to improve their defensive and offsetting Smith's lousy offense and defense?

I mean honestly, if you actually took the time to think about this it is incredibly hard to argue that the Cavs would not have been a better team starting Smart over Smith in the games he started this year. Your posts also are prime example of negativity without substance and I would truly love it if could try to refute the points i have made here with intelligent discourse.

Also before you go over the top and say every team wants shooters, realize there are elite defensive players that are bad shooters that are starting on playoff teams. Do you guys watch other teams at all? Roberson is a prime example of this starting for the Thunder. He shot 24% from 3 this year and was such a poor foul shooter he was intentionally fouled 5-6 times yesterday going 1-13 from the line or something close to that. He makes Smart look like Steph Curry. Yet there he is starting for the Thunder and making a positive impact with his defense. SMH at ignorance.

Dude, Smith has been injured this season. You really think Lebron would put his boy on the bench? Smith was pretty big for them for a few games last year in the playoffs actually. And you like Roberson? Have you not noticed how hard it's been for the Thunder to score? I mean that team is anemic talent wise. Westbrook has been carrying them. Using Roberson as an example doesn't help your arguement imo. Thunder are about to lose in 5 games lol. What a great player Roberson is. Same with your boy Oladipo.

Lol @ ignorance. Pretty sad you went there because we didn't agree with you. You sound like Smart from last night after he had the ball taking from him. He cried about it like a big baby losing candy and it resulted in a technical.

I named/discussed a long list of players including Snell, Jr Smith, Ingles, Roberson, Danny Green, CJ Miles, 40 year old Vince Carter and Tim Hardaway Jr that are all starting at the same position/similar role to Smart. While these players all have their strengths. They also have their weaknesses. And if you look at the stats pretty close it is hard to argue that Smart wouldn't start all over them. Blindly coming in and not responding to that point at all with "He's simply not a starting calibar player" while offering no explanation of how those players are better than smart is ignorant/obnoxious. It is either ignorant of the role and skillset of those other players to think they are all superior to Smart, or it just obnoxiously hating for the sake of it. Either way it is not a strong post.

I only mentioned the Cavs in my response and you acted like a baby. I don't know where all those other names came into play. I get it, you're feeling insecure about your post and need some reassurance. BUT I HAVE ALREADY SAID EVERYTHING I NEED TO SAY ABOUT SMART. I know you have read them, you even once agreed with me earlier this year in regards to Smart. So sorry for not posting a detailed retort.

Smart is better than Roberson. I disagree on Green because he is a good defender imo and can shoot the 3. Memphis yes, because he would be replacing an injured Tony Allen. Not because Carter is 40. But because their starter is injured. I like Smart over Hardaway as well.

How about CJ Miles and Joe Ingles? Also, is he not better than a 34 year old Tony Allen regardless?

Ingles is perfect for that team , wether you think Smart should start means nothing. Lou Williams can start for any team in the playoffs if they wanted to. You sacrifice something with everybody.

But you know what the difference would be? That he would end up killing his team on offense throwing up bricks and would be immediately subbed.

He is perfect for the Celtics team because the other point guard plays 0 defense and plays all world offense.

Stop trying to make him more important than he is in reality. To this team he is important...but we aint going nowhere.

If it finally came down to paying Smart to be a starter, we will either overpay , or suck because If Smart is starting , we will be a pretty below average team.

I never crap on what Smart means to the team. I just know the team that starts him either sucks, or has no chance to be a good team.

sigh

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

sigh

Has to be a point to why you would say he can start on these teams correct?

What is the point? To show what? How important he is right?

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Amen!

Marcus Smart is flat out an inferior basketball player than Joe Ingles right now. There is just no way around it. 

https://t.co/aCNwRXldDR

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
zero.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 11:05:22 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
All of them, if those playoff teams are Smart, pun intended.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 01:48:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think he'd start at the point in a couple of places too. Certainly now that Rondo is out, he's far better than Grant or MCW. I also think he'd have a shot starting over Parker at this point, he's not a thread from 3 either and Smart is the superior defender, I expect he'd do a much better job against Conley.

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If Tony Allen can start on a 50+ win team, then Smart could do it as well.

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
I think he'd start at the point in a couple of places too. Certainly now that Rondo is out, he's far better than Grant or MCW. I also think he'd have a shot starting over Parker at this point, he's not a thread from 3 either and Smart is the superior defender, I expect he'd do a much better job against Conley.

This is where you are probably wrong. Patti Mills is a better scorer and makes that team dangerous. Patti would start.

But even Tony Parker wouldnt get benched. I read somewhere that when he plays Spurs are an elite defensive team, as crazy as it sounds, they improve on defense big time when he is on the court.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

This is where you are probably wrong. Patti Mills is a better scorer and makes that team dangerous. Patti would start.

But even Tony Parker wouldnt get benched. I read somewhere that when he plays Spurs are an elite defensive team, as crazy as it sounds, they improve on defense big time when he is on the court.
Wow, I wouldn't expect that Parker would help the defense.  If there were no Parker, I think Smart would start over Mills.  Mills is a perfect 6th man.

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Wow, I wouldn't expect that Parker would help the defense.  If there were no Parker, I think Smart would start over Mills.  Mills is a perfect 6th man.

Actually that is a good point. Mills is better off the bench, and I think Pop would probably stick with that and put Smart in the starting lineup, but you never know since Smart is also good off the bench.

Parker has been so bad at scoring, but he was hobbled. He is ok now.