Author Topic: IT and technicals  (Read 1275 times)

IT and technicals
« on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Are we going to have to start calling him Isaiah Technical?

I read that if he gets one more T, he sits for a game? Can anyone verify? I know it starts over in the playoffs but I'm not sure how many a player can get before he sits.

So if this is the case, the coaches and players have to reinforce to him he CANNOT get baited during these next few games. The Bulls will be trying to get him into a talking match and he's probably ready to unload anyway. We don't want a Draymond Green situation to cost us this series.

Re: IT and technicals
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:14 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well, Thomas was fourth in the league in techs during the regular season, and had just 4 fewer than Cousins (who lead the league with 18). So this is not exactly breaking news.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He gets a suspension at 7 or 8 -- I forget if it's that you don't start incurring suspensions until after 7 T's (in which case it's the 8th), or if 7 gets you your first suspension.

I haven't been keeping track -- is he at 3?

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think you get suspended on the 8th tech.

I don't mind it, tbh. As Jeff Van Gundy said, you can't be 5'9" and be a star in the NBA without being cranky. IT needs to play with a chip on his shoulder
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
He gets a suspension at 7 or 8 -- I forget if it's that you don't start incurring suspensions until after 7 T's (in which case it's the 8th), or if 7 gets you your first suspension.

He's at 3 currently, nobody else has more than 1.

And the rule is on the 7th technical you get a 1 game suspension (not after the 7th), and then every other one thereafter also get a one game suspension (so at 7, 9, 11, 13, etc.).  At least according to these NBA rules dated 2010.

Whatever OP read that said Thomas will be suspended might be confusing the technical foul rule with the flagrant foul rule, because with the flagrant foul rule, you get suspended after you hit 4 or more points (flagrant 1 = 1 point, flagrant 2 = 2 points), this is what happened to Draymond Green last year.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:19:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is why it is important to promote IT as a superstar. Superstars do not get technicals at the rate they dole em out to IT.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

And the rule is on the 7th technical you get a 1 game suspension (not after the 7th), and then every other one thereafter also get a one game suspension (so at 7, 9, 11, 13, etc.).  At least according to these NBA rules dated 2010.

Whatever OP read that said Thomas will be suspended might be confusing the technical foul rule with the flagrant foul rule, because with the flagrant foul rule, you get suspended after you hit 4 or more points (flagrant 1 = 1 point, flagrant 2 = 2 points), this is what happened to Draymond Green last year.
didn't his first one get rescinded ?

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's at 2 techs.  He got one in Game 1 that was later rescinded by the league, one in Game 2, and one last night.  Still not great, but ESPN's count is off
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
This is why it is important to promote IT as a superstar. Superstars do not get technicals at the rate they dole em out to IT.

I think your intuition is incorrect.  Top 4 in the NBA in technicals this regular season:  Cousins, Draymond, Westbrook, and John Wall.
http://insider.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/technicalFouls/seasontype/2
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 12:54:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He's at 2 techs.  He got one in Game 1 that was later rescinded by the league, one in Game 2, and one last night.  Still not great, but ESPN's count is off

Glad that game 1 tech was rescinded.  I remember thinking it was pretty weak, since he was walking away from the official and only made a pretty simple non-obscene gesture.  Especially given all the other circumstances going on that day.

I'll start worrying about his T count in the conference finals.  If he gets 5 more in the Chicago series and round 2, enough has probably gone wrong to get him frustrated to earn those T's that getting to the conference finals isn't likely anyway.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
His tech from last night should be rescinded as well. He was yapping but he stopped in his tracks and MCW got in his face, bumping him and talking trash. IT did not retaliate but called for a tech anyways.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 01:18:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
His tech from last night should be rescinded as well. He was yapping but he stopped in his tracks and MCW got in his face, bumping him and talking trash. IT did not retaliate but called for a tech anyways.
If you instigate something, you'd typically get a tech.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I think your intuition is incorrect.  Top 4 in the NBA in technicals this regular season:  Cousins, Draymond, Westbrook, and John Wall.
http://insider.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/fouls/sort/technicalFouls/seasontype/2

Okay so you have one bona fide knuckle head that will stand there and argue every defensive stop the opponent gets, one goon, a statistic chaser, and Wall. On the other hand you have IT the best player on a #1 seed team getting technical fouls when the scrub on the other team gets in his face. That is not equity.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Thanks for the clarification. I think we're safe........for now.