Author Topic: Is There A Way To Keep Gerald Green Here Next Season?  (Read 1000 times)

Is There A Way To Keep Gerald Green Here Next Season?
« on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Or did he pretty much price himself out with his last two games?

Any cap experts have knowledge on this (like can they keep Green if they sign a max-player, or would that avenue completely shut down)?

I hear the C's won't have any exceptions (MLE for example) if they sign a max-FA.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Is There A Way To Keep Gerald Green Here Next Season?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
If the Cs sign a max level FA it won't be as important to sign Green. First of all, a max level FA would take up 30+ minutes and therefore other people's roles would be adjusted, meaning that there would be fewer overall minutes available. Add in the fact that Brown would have a year under his belt and likely would fill a similar role, Yabu and Zizic would be rotation players and the new #1 pick would also contribute.

I like Gerald and was happy for signing him this year. Even when he was riding the bench I didn't think having him available was a wasted effort. But if someone else wants to pay him bigger dollars next year, good for him but I don't see the same need to keep him on the roster.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Or did he pretty much price himself out with his last two games?

Any cap experts have knowledge on this (like can they keep Green if they sign a max-player, or would that avenue completely shut down)?

I hear the C's won't have any exceptions (MLE for example) if they sign a max-FA.

That's not true.  If the Cs use cap room this summer (on a max player or anyone else) they will lose the MLE/Taxpayer's mini mid-level and biannual exceptions, but will have the Room Exception (~$4 million next year) and of course the minimum salary exemption.

I honestly think that, if Green resigns with us, it will be for the minimum.  He hasn't shown anything in this series that he didn't show over the past 3 or so seasons. He had a good game yesterday, but he's still the very streaky player and a poor defender he was when we signed him for the minimum.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the better question is not is there a way to keep Gerald Green but is there a way to upgrade from Gerald Green next year?  I'd prefer to get a scorer off the bench that can contribute every game, not just an occasional game

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Green's kids live in the area.  That's why he signed here for the minimum.  I think that if offered a contract by the C's he will return.  And it should be for something close to the min once again.

As far as contributing every game, he was never really given the chance.  His stats prove that when he gets minutes, he produces.  But Jaylen Brown's development was deemed more important.

While I think they do need more consistent scoring off the bench, I see no reason why Green couldn't come back in the same role next season.  Any maybe he gets more minutes if the makeup of the roster changes. 

He's still only 31 and he takes care of himself so even though he relies on his legs quite a bit and history has shown that those guys don't last forever in the league, he still looks like he's got some miles left in the tank. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:05:50 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:14:45 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Green's kids live in the area.  That's why he signed here for the minimum.  I think that if offered a contract by the C's he will return.  And it should be for something close to the min once again.

As far as contributing every game, he was never really given the chance.  His stats prove that when he gets minutes, he produces.  But Jaylen Brown's development was deemed more important.

While I think they do need more consistent scoring off the bench, I see no reason why Green couldn't come back in the same role next season.  Any maybe he gets more minutes if the makeup of the roster changes. 

The hops for that Dunk over Wade proves he's still got it athletically

He's still only 31 and he takes care of himself so even though he relies on his legs quite a bit and history has shown that those guys don't last forever in the league, he still looks like he's got some miles left in the tank.