Author Topic: Tatum and Jackson thinking(playoff)  (Read 1239 times)

Tatum and Jackson thinking(playoff)
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Playoffs is a matchup game

Jackson--Andre Roberson:even if he can lockdown Harden(and you just can't do it everygame) and make 3s he is still a minus point because teams will just hack him in playoffs

Tatum--Iso Joe:nowhere elite on defense and offense isn't that overwhelm either, but when playoff games slow down he will be your plus point.

so if Jackson can't show some convincing improvement FT shooting in the workout(and consider he is old relatively) i think we should go for Tatum

Re: Tatum and Jackson thinking(playoff)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:53:40 AM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
20 isn't that old like some people imply. We drafted Smart when he is 21 years old. Rondo when he's 22 and Tony Allen at 23.

For all we know, Tatum could become another version of Harrison Barnes than Joe Johnson. Good scorer but could go cold in the biggest stage. With that said, I'd take him if Fultz or Jackson are out with the selection.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
so if Jackson can't show some convincing improvement FT shooting in the workout(and consider he is old relatively) i think we should go for Tatum

This is probably why your posting on Celtics Blog and not a scout, perhaps?  JK

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
In my opinion

Jackson = Iggy

Tatum = Leonard

I like Tatum for the Celtics...even if it's the #1 pick. No more guards, we need playmakers and scorers.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I think Tatum is the "shiggidy"!

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Are we not seeing jaylens role?  That's what we'd probably get from Jackson or Tatum.

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 09:58:55 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
20 isn't that old like some people imply. We drafted Smart when he is 21 years old. Rondo when he's 22 and Tony Allen at 23.

For all we know, Tatum could become another version of Harrison Barnes than Joe Johnson. Good scorer but could go cold in the biggest stage. With that said, I'd take him if Fultz or Jackson are out with the selection.

Smart just turned 23 in March, so I'm pretty sure he was 20 when drafted, even with two years of college.

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
In my opinion

Jackson = Iggy

Tatum = Leonard

I like Tatum for the Celtics...even if it's the #1 pick. No more guards, we need playmakers and scorers.
Yes..it's just more valuable than elite (personal)defense and athletism
and Rondo/Smart/TA  still isn;t a scoring threat after those years

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
the comparisons aren't working so well for me.  Jackson will be a scorer in the NBA, and elite on defense/rebounding/passing.  He brings way more to the table than Roberson.  His less than ideal shooting may keep him from superstardom....have to wait and see.  But he can definitely score in other ways...dunks, floaters, drives, etc..

Tatum will be an even better scorer than Jackson, but most likely be a less dynamic player...not as active, with defense and passing not as good Jackson.

As far as who will have a better career between Jackson and Tatum I have no clue.  If I were a team like Phoenix who has a bunch of shooters already, I'd definitely draft Jackson.  The Celtics have Smart, Brown and Crowder.  So I think the slightly bigger and better scoring Tatum fits the Celtics better.  Actually I can only see Danny choosing Jackson over Tatum if Smart is traded.  Even though they play different positions, a Brad Stevens style team can only have so many not-great shooters who are awesome in other ways. 

However, if Bradley goes out in a trade I could maybe see a starting 5 of:
Smart, IT, Jackson, Shooter, Horford.......with Brown and hopefully more shooting off the bench than the Celtics currently possess.  Compare that to the possible eventual:  Smart, IT, Brown, Tatum, Horford.  Hard one to call for me between those two....who would be the PF shooter in the first lineup?
Can Tatum handle a bunch of minutes at PF?  And then there are a bunch of keep-Bradley lineups to consider.  IF Bradley is kept and Smart traded (unlikely scenario?), then I'd take Jackson over Tatum. 

Jackson is my favorite college player.  He has a relentless quality to his game that Rondo and Smart both have. Without some trades though, the Celtics need Tatum.

I will just say that passing on Jackson is has some element of gamble.  If he tweaks his jumper and becomes a good 3 point shooter, then he will a big time star with an enormous impact.

Top 4 for now for Celtics:
Fultz
Tatum
Jackson
Ball