Author Topic: An Overlooked option this off season  (Read 3222 times)

Re: An Overlooked option this off season
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 10:13:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Awesome player, but that next contract is going to be scary.

An advantage to not tanking is being able to sign free agents. If you can add Horford and Milsap for just 💰 I think it's a good deal.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see team striking out in FA then Gibson gets an AJ type contract.

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 10:57:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Who is AJ?

Sorry, been up a long time today!

Too lazy to think here?

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Who is AJ?

Sorry, been up a long time today!

Too lazy to think here?

EDIT: wracked my tired brain....wasn't giving up on this....Amir...ok....

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 02:27:27 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I want NO part of having 2 mid thirties max contracts on my roster in 2-3 years though.

Millsap on a 3 year max deal might be something I could stomach.  At least both him and Horford would have expiring contracts.

But I'd prefer a  number of other options for a variety of reasons.

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 03:12:36 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
The more I think of it, the more I like the idea to get Millsap.
He's aging very well and he'll fit perfectly into our system and long term plan.
We'll have a contender team (if DA can trade for PG13 or Butler) while developing 3 top picks.
Celtics could be in a 10 year contender window at least.

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 03:17:07 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
He's too old. I think people underestimate how far this team still needs to go to be a true contender. Signing a 32.5 year-old to a max deal is a "we are going for it all this year" kind of move.

Besides, the Hawks had Millsap and Horford as their backbone for years during their peaks and they were never a real threat. Why would both of them in their 30s be a good idea for us?

You can only give out so many max deals. Horford is already overpaid in comparison to real superstars whose salaries are capped. If we tie up the rest of our cap with Millsap we won't have the flexibility to add any other high-priced talent.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 03:22:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I want NO part of having 2 mid thirties max contracts on my roster in 2-3 years though.

Millsap on a 3-year max deal might be something I could stomach.  At least both him and Horford would have expiring contracts.

But I'd prefer a  number of other options for a variety of reasons.
If we could sign him for a 3 (2+1 player option) year max deal I would be very pleased. He is an excellent all round player. Not a world beater, but a guy I would go to war with. After Hayward, he might be the 2nd best free agent on our board. We would still be one scoring wing short (PG, Jimmy, or JB might fill that need in a year or 2). For some time, I disliked the idea of Atlanta's bigs redo in Boston, but with much better perimeter rotation and a solid true rim-protecting 5 (Hopefully Žižić in a year or 2, or a ring chasing vet as an immediate help) we are NOT Atlanta 2.0. We would we a very versatile team with a great veteran/youth combination.
However, at his age, I am not that convinced that Milsap will be looking for a deal with less than 4 guaranteed years. He might bet on himself and do that 2+1 to re-up in 2 years.
There are many different paths for us to get better, this is one of them.

"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 03:39:05 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
He's too old. I think people underestimate how far this team still needs to go to be a true contender. Signing a 32.5 year-old to a max deal is a "we are going for it all this year" kind of move.

Besides, the Hawks had Millsap and Horford as their backbone for years during their peaks and they were never a real threat. Why would both of them in their 30s be a good idea for us?

You can only give out so many max deals. Horford is already overpaid in comparison to real superstars whose salaries are capped. If we tie up the rest of our cap with Millsap we won't have the flexibility to add any other high-priced talent.

The 60 win Atlanta had Teague/Corver as PG/SG. You can't compare that with IT/AB. We are much stronger. Plus we can trade for PG13 or Butler for an even better starting 5.
Age isn't an issue when your contention window is still bright with top picks on the bench developing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:49:57 AM by LGC88 »

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:13 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I could see someone like Kris Humphries back in Boston on a minimum contract.

He is a free agent, just turned 32 in February, and could provide off the bench depth and rebounding.  He did play for Brad too, so maybe he left on good terms?

Wouldn't throw money at him, but if we needed help up front and could land him on a Gerald Green type of deal I would be all for it.