Author Topic: Hoiberg's comments  (Read 3480 times)

Hoiberg's comments
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:15:48 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Anyone hear his comments about IT after the game?  Basically called out IT for palming the ball and getting away with it.  Feels like Phil Jackson complaining about Powe getting calls way back when. 

Anyone think it will have an impact?  I guess if the next game was in Chicago I would say yes.  But not sure the refs will call IT on it in Boston.

But yeah, AI changed the game and now pretty much everybody palms the ball.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705340-fred-hoiberg-rips-refs-for-officiating-of-isaiah-thomas-after-bulls-game-4-loss

"When you're allowed to discontinue your dribble on every possession, he's impossible to guard," Hoiberg explained. "When you're able to put your hand underneath the ball and take two or three steps, and put it back down, it's impossible to guard him in those situations."

Re: Hoiberg's comments
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 12:28:31 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He should get fined for making stupid comments.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 12:32:20 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Hoiberg is doing what playoff coaches need to do.  Namely, search for any available advantage.  I don't think (and hope) it will make a difference, but I respect the attempt.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:34:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hoiberg is doing what playoff coaches need to do.  Namely, search for any available advantage.  I don't think (and hope) it will make a difference, but I respect the attempt.

I dont
He sounds like a sore loser

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:40 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I dont
Yeah, hoiberg is definitely planting a seed here.  That's not being a sore loser, it's exactly as fantakerous says.  He's working the refs.  And guess what?  IT definitely palms the ball...a lot.

Let see what happens.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 01:31:03 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
What IT does is the same thing that 80+% of ballhandlers do in today's NBA.

They simply can't start calling it now, especially on just one player.

If you want to make an attempt, try on the D-League or the preseason, but we know how that goes (complaining about calls, touching the ball after a made basket - both were done so much you simply can't call technicals every instance, you'd have too many stars getting tossed nightly).

Hoiberg said what he did and deserves to get a fine for it, and Thomas may even get called for an egregious one, but they will certainly return the favor to one of his guys when they do it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:39:45 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Aside from working the refs, he is also trying to get in IT'so head.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:50:57 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 01:40:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
What IT does is the same thing that 80+% of ballhandlers do in today's NBA.

They simply can't start calling it now, especially on just one player.

If you want to make an attempt, try on the D-League or the preseason, but we know how that goes (complaining about calls, touching the ball after a made basket - both were done so much you simply can't call technicals every instance, you'd have too many stars getting tossed nightly).

Hoiberg said what he did and deserves to get a fine for it, and Thomas may even get called for an egregious one, but they will certainly return the favor to one of his guys when they do it.

So true

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 01:41:55 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
He should get fined for making stupid comments.

He is criticizing the refs.  He better get fined.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I dont

I think Hoiberg's comments, while understandable, are certainly symptomatic of a coach that lacks confidence in his team.  "ore loser" is moralistic BS, however.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 03:03:59 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
He's trying to pull up a "Fizdale" but honestly it didn't work as well.
In fact it's a bit embarrassing. I hope the Bulls' FO stick with him though.

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 05:18:31 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
What he’s saying is actually true. I.T carries the ball all the time. However it’s become the norm in the NBA now so you can’t just point the finger at him. Rondo has the same problem.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 05:34:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
So what? Wade and Butler are the same. Also IT's not palming it every time he does that dribble, he does it legally around half of the time, which is insane because this move basically developed from palming (guys wanted to make it legal so they made it quicker but it's still blatant palming imo, the only difference is everyone's doing it) and most guys who do it palm the ball so badly compared to IT.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Funny thing is that Rondo palms the ball. CP3 palms the ball. Most point guards palm the ball. Guess what? Lopez is in the paint for 5 seconds plus every time down refs. Look at that.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
What he’s saying is actually true. I.T carries the ball all the time. However it’s become the norm in the NBA now so you can’t just point the finger at him. Rondo has the same problem.

Exactly ,  I always thought Rondo was worse and here's he is acting like a spoiled little girl crying over something his guard is known for.  And yes CP3 is awful ,  John Wall does his share , LeBron too.