Author Topic: Sheesh! Has Gerald just complicated our roster crunch even further?  (Read 4121 times)

Re: Sheesh! Has Gerald just complicated our roster crunch even further?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 01:21:35 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I am sure glad he did!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 01:47:17 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Genuinely curious about this. We go through a bazillion trade, FA, cap hold, scenarios here but very rarely does anyone talk about giving Gerald a career deal.

His defense is quite acceptable these days.

He's been doing this in stretches all season long - no idea why people haven't noticed it, or why his minutes and role were not increased long ago.  How many times has he come off the bench and scored 16 points in 18 minutes?  And as you said, his defence hasn't been too bad, either.

This is why I continue to criticise Brad Steven's coaching. When Green has been given the opportunities, he's typically played well enough to earn a bigger role.  But Steven's seems to be fixated of giving minutes to his longer tenured players, whether they deserve them or not. 

I like Amir, but his health issues are obviously having a major impact on him, because he's production has been really poor this year.  Comparatively, Kelly Olynyk has had possibly his most consistent and efficient season of his career (in a year where Boston desperately lacks size) and yet at no part this year has Stevens ever given Olynyk a legit window to prove himself as a starter alongside Horford.

Green has had so many good games while Smart has been out having back-to-back 2 for 12 shooting nights, and at no point has Stevens taken a chance at increasing Green's minutes and taking a few minutes from Smart, just to see what happens during stretches where we were struggling.

I just don't grasp his mentality personally, but I'm sure others will disagree and back him with their lives.

Because Green and Smart have different roles in the team. Its Brown that directly correlates with Green's playing time. It was when AB was injured that playing time opened up for both of them. You cannot base a regular season rotation on the success of a playoff rotation, playoffs are more matchup based than the regular season. Or can't you understand that and just looking for things to criticize about Stevens like usual?

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 01:55:18 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If we want to retain Gerald, we should be able to do so at the Vet Min once again. He had an awesome first quarter - almost epic, but our 20 point lead evaporated into a 2 point deficit and he was nowhere to be found.

Green has the ability to go off or be completely useless - we all knew this already. If we have space on our roster, I would be happy to keep him around, but he isn't make or break. I do like that he was so into coming back to Boston, though.

LOL GG isn't coming back for veteran min let's get serious here.

Someone will give him an Evan Turner type contract and he won't be back.

But you know what, he earned it, and grats to Gerald.  He has stepped it up and raised his stock a ton.

Nope what this means is that we need to add a legitimate player in the offseason.  Either a Heyward or Griffin type.  Let our rather weak class of free agents walk. 

Is anyone going to miss Zeller, Jerebko or Johnson?  *crickets*  Didn't think so.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 10:55:34 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
If we want to retain Gerald, we should be able to do so at the Vet Min once again. He had an awesome first quarter - almost epic, but our 20 point lead evaporated into a 2 point deficit and he was nowhere to be found.

Green has the ability to go off or be completely useless - we all knew this already. If we have space on our roster, I would be happy to keep him around, but he isn't make or break. I do like that he was so into coming back to Boston, though.

But you know what, he earned it, and grats to Gerald.  He has stepped it up and raised his stock a ton.

Nope what this means is that we need to add a legitimate player in the offseason.  Either a Heyward or Griffin type.  Let our rather weak class of free agents walk. 

Is anyone going to miss Zeller, Jerebko or Johnson?  *crickets*  Didn't think so.
You add those salaries and give to a deserving player we should be better next year.  Dano anyone?
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
lol no. At the end of the year you thank Gerald for his play and let him walk out the door.

I like the guy and he's doing exactly what he was signed to do, bring energy when called upon. But one good playoff game doesn't erase a seasons' worth of earning only sporadic playing time. We're not seeing a new Gerald in the last 24 hours, this is the same guy he's been all season. Fire and ice.

If there is a big trade that opens up roster spots this summer, I'd love to see him brought back on another minimum deal but nothing more expensive than that.

Also, anyone who thinks Gerald is getting Evan Turner money is nuts. Turner averaged almost 30 mpg and was a legit 6MOY candidate last season. Green averaged 11 mpg this season and only played 47 games. Some he missed with injury but a lot were good old DNP's.

All credit to Green for playing well last night and I hope he keeps it up but I doubt his next contract is going to be substantially bigger than the one he signed last summer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 11:15:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.   If he wants to come back cheap to come off the bench, sure.

But there is no way the Celtics should pay to bring him back as a starter or PF.   

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The concept of anyone giving Gerald Green a 4-year, $70 million deal is beyond absurd to me.  He's 31.  He's made the minimum the last two seasons.  Before that he signed a 3-year deal at $3.5 million per -- a shade above the taxpayer MLE that year below the regular MLE).  His career, and season, eFG% is below 50.  He can do some nice things sometimes in a game.  That's why he's in the NBA.  He is not Simone to rely on for a full season, much less 4.

The minimum salary rises to $2.3 million next year for someone of Green's experience.  I expect that's what he gets from someone.  At most I see him getting the bi-annual exception, which is 2 years, $6.7 million.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The way you build a contender is finding the next Gerald Green each year for cheap, not paying Gerald Green a lot of money to stick around beyond a contract year.
Agreed.

He is a guy who likes to score. He will have good games. He will also have bad games. To focus on a game or two is absurd. That is not how you make good roster moves. That is how Detroit ended up handing Ben Gordon one of the truly bad contracts of our time. He focused on the games where Gordon carried the Bulls and ignored the game where he single-handedly sunk the Bulls with bad shots.

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The way you build a contender is finding the next Gerald Green each year for cheap, not paying Gerald Green a lot of money to stick around beyond a contract year.

This exactly.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I would give him Jonas Jerebko kind of money. He seems to be liking Boston, so it wouldn't surprise me if he chose to sign for less money.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
He won't be a Celtic next season. And DA will look for some similar cheap contract/good value and we know Green is gonna ask for some bigger money. But next season Jaylen will get these minutes Green is getting now at the 3, when Crowder plays the 4

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would give him Jonas Jerebko kind of money. He seems to be liking Boston, so it wouldn't surprise me if he chose to sign for less money.

What makes you think he won't get some kind of Evan Turner deal though not to that extent?  I think that is why he signed here.

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Nope we just have to Godfather trade half the roster for Anthony Davis and then we'll need him to sign for 3 years $20 million.

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green

What makes you think he won't get some kind of Evan Turner deal though not to that extent?  I think that is why he signed here.
Evan Turner was 27 when he signed the big contract with Blazers. I can't see a team offering the same kind of deal to a player who is going to turn 32 in the upcoming season. Furthermore, even though Green is playing well for us right now, there's no guarantee that he'll be able to play just as well for another team (Turner is a good example hereof)
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yup, he's not that special anymore.  Gerald Green was in the vanguard a few years ago when he came in:  Tall, super-athletic, massive dunker and decent 3-point shooter.  Now there are many guys coming up with that M.O.  Young guys who rely mainly on their athleticism now know they also need a 3-pt shot to make it in the NBA.