Author Topic: Sheesh! Has Gerald just complicated our roster crunch even further?  (Read 4120 times)

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Genuinely curious about this. We go through a bazillion trade, FA, cap hold, scenarios here but very rarely does anyone talk about giving Gerald a career deal.

His defense is quite acceptable these days.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Sheesh! Has Gerald just complicated our roster crunch even further?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's a solid substitution when needed. I like him

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55:42 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Beautiful release. Good length and athleticism. Seems to have come into his role. Hope he does okay.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The only thing Gerald has solidified for me is that we can remove Johnson and Jerebko's cap holds immediately without much reservation.

The downfall of Amir Johnson particularly has been swift but definitive in this series. Maybe he gets some burn if the Celtics can somehow pull out this series, but right now that's the real shoe that's dropped as a result of Green starting.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Not in the slightest. Gerald has been good for us but give me minutes for Brown to develop and Gordon Hayward over Gerald Green at 10mil per year

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 10:58:14 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm surprised a needy team like Brooklyn, Sacramento, Philly or New Orleans didn't made a play for him.

Maybe they will this summer after publicity like this. He can really fill it up if given the playing time.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The way you build a contender is finding the next Gerald Green each year for cheap, not paying Gerald Green a lot of money to stick around beyond a contract year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He had a great game ...all star like.

But t honestly it could be his one and only game like this in the rest of the playoffs .

He was worth his contract , if he just got us this one playoff visitors

Way to go Green !

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The way you build a contender is finding the next Gerald Green each year for cheap, not paying Gerald Green a lot of money to stick around beyond a contract year.

Bingo.

And it builds on itself, too. If you are known for successful reclamation projects, you attract better low-budget talent.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 11:16:33 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If anything, Gerald's run shows just how much better this team could be with a competent 5th starter. It also gives us a watered down peek of what this team could be with a guy like Gordon Hayward plugged in.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 12:08:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we want to retain Gerald, we should be able to do so at the Vet Min once again. He had an awesome first quarter - almost epic, but our 20 point lead evaporated into a 2 point deficit and he was nowhere to be found.

Green has the ability to go off or be completely useless - we all knew this already. If we have space on our roster, I would be happy to keep him around, but he isn't make or break. I do like that he was so into coming back to Boston, though.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 12:14:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If anything, Gerald's run shows just how much better this team could be with a competent 5th starter. It also gives us a watered down peek of what this team could be with a guy like Gordon Hayward plugged in.

I agree - - it does demonstrate that our starting lineup could be really special if you put a 6'8'' - 6'9'' springy forward with a nice jumper and elite athleticism next to Horford.

Harrison Barnes with a motor, basically.

Or Kevin Durant. But that's no longer an option.

Jayson Tatum? Josh Jackson?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 12:19:44 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's only a roster crunch if you don't believe in trading good players.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Genuinely curious about this. We go through a bazillion trade, FA, cap hold, scenarios here but very rarely does anyone talk about giving Gerald a career deal.

His defense is quite acceptable these days.

He's been doing this in stretches all season long - no idea why people haven't noticed it, or why his minutes and role were not increased long ago.  How many times has he come off the bench and scored 16 points in 18 minutes?  And as you said, his defence hasn't been too bad, either.

This is why I continue to criticise Brad Steven's coaching. When Green has been given the opportunities, he's typically played well enough to earn a bigger role.  But Steven's seems to be fixated of giving minutes to his longer tenured players, whether they deserve them or not. 

I like Amir, but his health issues are obviously having a major impact on him, because he's production has been really poor this year.  Comparatively, Kelly Olynyk has had possibly his most consistent and efficient season of his career (in a year where Boston desperately lacks size) and yet at no part this year has Stevens ever given Olynyk a legit window to prove himself as a starter alongside Horford.

Green has had so many good games while Smart has been out having back-to-back 2 for 12 shooting nights, and at no point has Stevens taken a chance at increasing Green's minutes and taking a few minutes from Smart, just to see what happens during stretches where we were struggling.

I just don't grasp his mentality personally, but I'm sure others will disagree and back him with their lives.