Author Topic: Credit for adjustments  (Read 863 times)

Credit for adjustments
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think Stevens deserves some points for adjusting the lineup, which really seems to have helped us even the series.

Sure you can criticize him for the first two games, or say it's because of Rondo. But bottom line he changed things up in a big way, and we've won two in a row. It's what good coaches do.

And most important of all, he just passed the inimitable Danny Ainge in lifetime playoff winning percentage for coaches. Ainge was at .250 and Stevens is now at the lofty level of .285.

Re: Credit for adjustments
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The interesting part is that his move ran counter to what many would have expected.  Losing the rebounding battle and he goes smaller.  In hindsight it makes sense because basically, it we're going to lose the board anyway then let's try to outscore them.  But I am betting none of our armchair coaches would have thought to make this particular move.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 09:50:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
He's been great the last several games.

Another big adjustment that he had last game was making Smart almost always the primary ballhandler when he was on the floor. That made the defense guard him and didn't let them continue to sag off of him.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The interesting part is that his move ran counter to what many would have expected.  Losing the rebounding battle and he goes smaller.  In hindsight it makes sense because basically, it we're going to lose the board anyway then let's try to outscore them.  But I am betting none of our armchair coaches would have thought to make this particular move.

That's a good point, TP.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:55:45 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Losing the rebounding battle and being small is largely how this team has played all year, and won all year.  Yeah they were great in games where they out-rebounded the opponent but that was not the norm.  They had to find a way all year to win those games and they did.

I will give Stevens credit for the unconventional start of Green, which made sense tactically as a counter.  It wouldn't be necessary if Avery or Jay could consistently make shots outside but it is what it is.

I will criticize him for the unconventional tinkering and starting of Zeller in the 2nd half of Game 2, which was not a counter but a dart at the wall.

He had a bad Game 2, but trusted his horses on the road and that's a veteran coach move.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

It's worked largely I think due to a somewhat unrelated factor - attacking Lopez more aggressively in pick and roll plays, which he has struggled to defend.  It has been limiting his ability to stay on the floor.  In games 1 and 2, Lopez played 34 and 32 minutes respectively.  In games 3 and 4, he played only 21 and 22 minutes.

This was one of Stevens' best adjustment in the series, along with starting Green in place of AJ, and I take my hat off to him.  And as mentioned above, using Smart as a ball handler instead of off-ball, where the Bulls have basically completely ignored him, has been another huge adjustment.

My faith in Stevens has been restored after some serious doubts crept into my mind after games 1 and 2.  But we have to win this series for that to be maintained.

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Green played better than Amire would have most likely .

What it does , is give old Amire chance to rest his feet .

This might prove valuable

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:03:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
He's done better but still had a lot of growing to do, imo.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:32 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I was one of the people screaming for him to make some adjustments.  I will give him his due, bringing green into the starting lineup and making great rotations tonight really was excellent coaching.  Brad is a smart coach, but he does need to find a way to emotionally lift and push our guys a bit more.  Sometimes he is like a low key robot.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 10:30:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This was a truly amazing game. Instead of trying to match them, he amplified our strengths. Brilliant. It is like saying, "hey, we are the better team -- they will have to stop our game".

Where is the guy who was so into Brad's career playoff record being the all-time worst? Brad can have a nice stretch of losses now.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Glass is always half-empty and half-full. Credits for Stevens on the much needed adjustment. 4-10 playoff record doesn't look too bad now, regardless of Bull's circumstance.

That said, the criticism on game 1 & 2 is valid.