Author Topic: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ  (Read 13844 times)

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
There's just something about his style of play and his demeanor that have made it impossible for me to like him.

It's not rational, but sports fandom isn't supposed to be.

I feel 100% the same way my friend.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
. It is nice he raised them the money, but to say that is "why he did it" is so beyond ludicrous I have to come back to this comment a few times throughout the day for a good chuckle.

One could argue that he included the charity to mitigate the fallout that his image conscious PR team knew that THE DECISION would cause.

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
. It is nice he raised them the money, but to say that is "why he did it" is so beyond ludicrous I have to come back to this comment a few times throughout the day for a good chuckle.

One could argue that he included the charity to mitigate the fallout that his image conscious PR team knew that THE DECISION would cause.

Yes. Clearly. I have honestly never heard anyone say that he did the event FOR charity. Again, it was awesome he raised money, and a lot, but if he wanted to raise money he could any sort of event anywhere at any time. It is not like this was his only chance to ever be in spotlight.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yes. Clearly. I have honestly never heard anyone say that he did the event FOR charity. Again, it was awesome he raised money, and a lot, but if he wanted to raise money he could any sort of event anywhere at any time. It is not like this was his only chance to ever be in spotlight.

It was about branding above everything else.  Let's not fool ourselves.   Great that he raised money but that wasn't the primary objective there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He's the 2nd best player ever below only MJ. Sit back and enjoy it because you may never see anything like this again.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He's the 2nd best player ever below only MJ. Sit back and enjoy it because you may never see anything like this again.
not many people in this thread are questioning his greatness.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Here's how he stands with me. 

Easily, one of the top 5 players I've ever seen on a court (born in '80).  It's not even debatable there.  He's a man among boys out there.  You just have to marvel at some of the stuff he does out on the court.  He also has the body type to age gracefully thru his 30s barring any major injuries.  He's been the single biggest player rival of the Celtics for a decade now.   Its really hard to look at his game objectively and not call him one of the all-time greats.

That being said, he seems to be thin-skinned & often acts entitled.  His mannerisms on the court sometimes are less that stellar.  Good amount of whining.   "The Decision" was absolute joke that reeked of ego and, rightfully so, backfired on him.    Playing super-friends with Wade & Bosh finally got the title monkey off his back.  I didn't have a huge issue with that but did seem to reek a bit of chasing the easy way out.  So, personality-wise, there's a lot to be desired there.

See a lot of irrational hatred of the guy on here.  Some of that is borne out of him being the enemy.  Some out of just plain pettiness or some people who weigh the personality stuff much more heavily than it should be (He doesn't have an Eagle, CO incident or anything).  It's a shame because they seem to be unable to see the greatness in front of them.

You also see some blind loyalty of the guy on here.  People rushing to his defense time in & time out on every instance and insist that he does no wrong.  Deflection, moving the goalposts, etc.  They can't see thru the pom-pomness of the guy. 

Very similar dynamic to the way that Rondo was treated on here during his Celtics tenure.

IMO, like almost every other matter on here, the answer is probably in the middle.   You certainly don't have to like the guy but you really should try to see the greatness of his on the court performance and his standing in NBA history.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Because they can't anymore, so they shifted from "he's not that good" to "oh, well I just didn't like the way he did it."

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Because they can't anymore, so they shifted from "he's not that good" to "oh, well I just didn't like the way he did it."

This is a real reach Randy. Some people have personalities that rub people the wrong way. They also happen to be great players. AROD was one of the best players of all time. His personality really rubbed people the wrong way. Same with Barry Bonds. Ken Griffey Jr. was the opposite of this and nobody ever had a real problem with him.

Shaq was both a great player and was very likeable and very few people hated him. Tim Duncan and Kawaii Leonard are/were great players that were very humble and soft spoken so very few people get rubbed wrong by their personality. Kevin Garnett was a great player we all loved, but he did some things that sounded really awful and a lot of fans hated his personality.

Few, if anybody, moved from liking to disliking Lebron's personality cause of what he did on the court. If he always annoyed you he probably still does. If he didn't he probably doesn't now. He didn't change (with the possible exception of the officiating arguing and calls he gets only getting more pronounced).

I kind of hate that people that love him, can't acknowledge that he just isn't everyone's cup of tea and will defend any single thing he does on or off the court. Moranis defending the decision as being done for charity and why Lebron did it is a perfect example of this. That kind of nonsense just makes everything more frustrating for everyone.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
That's because the criticisms of him are beyond stupid.

Oh the humanity, he had the audacity to announce his free agency decision on live tv? Who cares? He's not a bad guy, he's the 2nd best player ever, and his teams have generally been very close.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

of course he could hold an event but not one that would draw a 13 rating and earn 2.5 million for Boys and Girls club and 3.5 million for other charities.  It had to be something that people would actually want to watch not some random event.  Jim Gray actually pitched the idea to James' team and the reason James was sold on  doing it was the money for charity it would generate.  Without that money James doesn't do it.  Now sure maybe he thought other things positive would come out of it but charity absolutely was James' driving factor in the show.  He clearly underestimated the negative impact on jilting Cleveland on national tv and Gray dragging the interview out for over 30 minutes before the announcement didn't help.  He then followed that up with the oress conference in Miami which further tarnished his image.  All of which he clearly learned from on his return to Cleveland.

And I'm curious from all you marketing experts, best case scenario for James what exactly do you think the Decision would have done for James.  He was already the best player i  the world, had as many sponsorship deals than he could use, was a top if not the top seller in jerseys, etc. What exactly was James' best case on the Decision.  It really could only go badly for him so it clearly had to be about charity or he wouldn't have done it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:02:14 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

of course he could hold an event but not one that would draw a 13 rating and earn 2.5 million for Boys and Girls club and 3.5 million for other charities.  It had to be something that people would actually want to watch not some random event.  Jim Gray actually pitched the idea to James' team and the reason James was sold on  doing it was the money for charity it would generate.  Without that money James doesn't do it.  Now sure maybe he thought other things positive would come out of it but charity absolutely was James' driving factor in the show.  He clearly underestimated the negative impact on jilting Cleveland on national tv and Gray dragging the interview out for over 30 minutes before the announcement didn't help.  He then followed that up with the oress conference in Miami which further tarnished his image.  All of which he clearly learned from on his return to Cleveland.

And I'm curious from all you marketing experts, best case scenario for James what exactly do you think the Decision would have done for James.  He was already the best player i  the world, had as many sponsorship deals than he could use, was a top if not the top seller in jerseys, etc. What exactly was James' best case on the Decision.  It really could only go badly for him so it clearly had to be about charity or he wouldn't have done it.
just keep digging moranis. This is enjoyable.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

just keep digging moranis. This is enjoyable.
I take it from this childish response you have no real response and are now doing nothing more than usual trolling
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

The charity part seemed like an excuse to market himself.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Easily, one of the top 5 players I've ever seen on a court (born in '80).  It's not even debatable there.  He's a man among boys out there.  You just have to marvel at some of the stuff he does out on the court.  He also has the body type to age gracefully thru his 30s barring any major injuries.  He's been the single biggest player rival of the Celtics for a decade now.   Its really hard to look at his game objectively and not call him one of the all-time greats.

That being said, he seems to be thin-skinned & often acts entitled.  His mannerisms on the court sometimes are less that stellar.  Good amount of whining.   "The Decision" was absolute joke that reeked of ego and, rightfully so, backfired on him.    Playing super-friends with Wade & Bosh finally got the title monkey off his back.  I didn't have a huge issue with that but did seem to reek a bit of chasing the easy way out.  So, personality-wise, there's a lot to be desired there.

See a lot of irrational hatred of the guy on here.  Some of that is borne out of him being the enemy.  Some out of just plain pettiness or some people who weigh the personality stuff much more heavily than it should be (He doesn't have an Eagle, CO incident or anything).  It's a shame because they seem to be unable to see the greatness in front of them.

You also see some blind loyalty of the guy on here.  People rushing to his defense time in & time out on every instance and insist that he does no wrong.  Deflection, moving the goalposts, etc.  They can't see thru the pom-pomness of the guy. 

Great Stuff, very balanced viewpoint.