Author Topic: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ  (Read 13901 times)

Re: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2017, 09:20:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wow completely forgot about Kobe.

I'd place Kobe around 6-8, and LebBron would round out my top 10.

Kobe over Bron? Why so? Shaq did the heavy lifting on those first three title teams.

Completely forgot about Shaq and he actually PLAYED for us.

This is why I don't like making lists..

I'd still get LeBron in my top 10, though.

As for Kobe - Shaq? Without digging into the details Shaq being perhaps the most dominant Big EVER kind of overshadows how important Kobe was to those Lakers teams.

Let's not forget that Kobe got one of his own AND helped the Lakers to compete from 2008-2011 or so.

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If you can guarantee a Celtic win then of course I want the Celtics to beat the Cavs

And if a Celtic championship isn't guaranteed, you're rooting for the Cavs?

I respect Lebron, but I'm not rooting for him against the Celts.

Anyone but GSW.

See, to me, the Warriors play a beautiful game.  Yes, their roster is stacked, but I love watching them play.

Can't say the same for the Cavs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2017, 09:56:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

You can't tell me or anyone else that there is no reason not to like a guy.

I can not like whoever I darn well please Lol.

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I kinda liked him his first Cavs run.

It ended there.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was a Lebron defender here on Celticsblog pre-Miami. I don't defend him anymore.

Pro:

Extreme professionalism. Zero off the court incidents
Relatively respectful of opponents. Doesn't talk trash like a lot of guys at his level of greatness
Works insanely hard. You don't maintain that body and remain that healthy with taking training, food, sleeping, etc really seriously.
Makes smart plays. Elevates lesser players
Gets along with teammates. How many players change teams to get away from him?
Was great in Trainwreck

Con:

Promotes self hard in interview. Likes to blow his own horn. It's like he doesn't realize he doesn't need words to convince people he is good
Seems to put pressure on management to make moves that hurt team in the long run
Like Pierce, he acts a lot when he gets hit (and he gets hit a lot)
I'm sure there are others, but the self-promotion is so annoying, I can't even think of them

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
BEAT THE WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we can always say we only lost to the Champs.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
My girlfriend barely watches basketball but every time she sees Lebron on screen she goes "Urgh I hate that guy". No prompting from me at all!

At times he's arrogant, he's disrespectful, he's rude. At times he's a gentleman with class, praise and good taste. It's certainly easy to dislike him though

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I've always been a Lebron James fan
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LeBron's a great player but it clear that the OP is a big fan which is his right.     I am not, nor will I be as he has done nothing to change my mind.   I think one can acknowledge a player is great but that does not mean that people have to like him.   I really think one reason I dislike him is the league annointed him from the beginning.   They always promote the latest and the greatest.   He did play well coming into the league but also he was not a good shooter, and the league seemed to have felt the need to subsidize his production on off nights with a ton of free throw attempts.  I get they have to protect their marketing dollars but the star calls he gets are much worse than Jordan ever got.   To me all too often he feels manufactured because of this stuff.   Still a great player an amazing physical talent.

This series the Cavs shot 129 free throws to our 89.   The first three games it was 94-45.  This is beyond ridiculous.   The last two games after criticism is was 40 to 44 in our favor.  Do you really buy the Kool-Aid, that it is our playstyle and we don't drive enough?   I don't think I think the league wants GS and CLE, I also think that CLE would have won without this discrepancy.  The league clearly adjusted their calls after it was on ESPN.   What else do you when your hand is caught in the cookie jar.

I can not like whoever I darn well please Lol.

TP

Some great comparison between Jordan and LeBron

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-2017-lebron-james-michael-jordan-stats-comparison-cavs-bulls-eastern-conference-finals/1es0xy3jmguu71mx82wmudwlr8

Maybe is LeBron loses another finals people will realize he is more of Wilt and Jerry West type of guy than a  winner.   Right now his record in the finals is still middling.    He is still a great player.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
meh

whiner

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
meh

whiner

Usually when a person has no argument, they attack the person personally, so thanks for making my point.   Have fun rooting for LBJ in the finals.  I am a Celtics fan and not a closet LeBron fan and proud of it.

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Over the years, I  have learned to appreciate Lebron.
Enjoy his play, as a basketball  fan while you can. Of course, there is no one I'd rather beat!

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I agree with OP, I really enjoy watching Lebron play.

When he goes against my team I root against him, but hating greatness makes no sense to me. I disliked Kobe because I always thought he was overrated as far as his impact on a team, but Lebron is too good for me to hate. I hope he wins the finals just to shut out Durant, who I feel ran from having to compete. Kobe and Wade are probably the only two players I ever really disliked.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes there is... He is a crybaby. Sukks up to the ref. Kocky
Only way he can win is to collaborate with all stars like dwade , bosh (jumping ship back and forth with Mia-Cavs)

He is good.. better now.. but under pressure , still 2nd to guys like Kobe, Bird, Jordan

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree with OP, I really enjoy watching Lebron play.

When he goes against my team I root against him, but hating greatness makes no sense to me. I disliked Kobe because I always thought he was overrated as far as his impact on a team, but Lebron is too good for me to hate. I hope he wins the finals just to shut out Durant, who I feel ran from having to compete. Kobe and Wade are probably the only two players I ever really disliked.
The greatness of his play and Lebron's personality are two different things.  I love watching him play and recognize his greatness, but I don't care for him personally and I always root against him.  That's not hating greatness.