Author Topic: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ  (Read 13905 times)

Re: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think "The Decision" still resonates with some.

In my book he's since redeemed himself for it.

Him going back HOME and winning a 'Chip was my deciding factor to give him more respect.

If he NEVER wins anything else in his career him doing that was the icing on the cake of his career.

Before it's all said and done I believe he'll be firmly planted in the top 10 all-time.
He is already WELL within the top 10.

Hes #2 in the 3 point era as far as Im concerned and comparing players beyond that becomes impossible.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Him going back HOME and winning a 'Chip was my deciding factor to give him more respect.

If he NEVER wins anything else in his career him doing that was the icing on the cake of his career.

Before it's all said and done I believe he'll be firmly planted in the top 10 all-time.

Hes #2 in the 3 point era as far as Im concerned and comparing players beyond that becomes impossible.

I'd personally rank him about right HERE

1. Bill Russell (Homer pick but you can't argue with 11 rings AND a couple as  Coach).

2. Michael

3. Wilt

4. Bird

5. Magic

6. Kareem

7. Duncan

8. Hakeem / LeBron?

I'd personally rank him somewhere around 8-10. This is not even counting Jerry West and a few others that we could debate.

Anything he does from here on out only helps his case at this point.

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The guy is the best player in the world, has always conducted himself with class

You think the decision was class?   I think that answers to your bias, right there.  There is a lot not to like about him, I thinkL:

1) He is the biggest crybaby for calls I have ever seen.  This is despite getting more star calls, ignored travels than any other player

2)  He is a sore loser who thinks shaking hands are beneath him and he runs to the locker room to hide so that people can't see him after a loss.

3) He often throws his team mates and coaches under the buss.  He has even got some coaches fired just ask David Blatt, Paul Silas and Mike Brown.

Not to mention these qoutes.

"LeBron stays humble just by being LeBron."

Here is why he did not notify the Cavs he was leaving.

“The last day I wanted it to be about me.”

Now I have heard he is very generous person to be fair, and does a lot of good things for his community like visiting sick kids.   But he clearly thinks he is the center of the universe and humility is not a strong suit.   That is part of what makes him a great player but great players are not always the best human beings.

I hope he is never a Celtic.   I wonder root for the Cavs ever.   I quite watching once we are out.
James did tell the Cavs before the decision aired. It was right before but it was still before.  And the decision raised a couple million dollars for the Boys and Girls Club, something that is always just glossed over by those criticising him for it.  That was why he did it for charity.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The thing is, I don't like the Cavs. Nobody on that team I enjoy watching at this point.

Except Tristan Thompson, I guess.

As for Bron, he seems like a nice guy. But I've never been able to enjoy watching him play. There's not much subtlety or guile to his game. Just raw power and amazing feats of coordination, floor vision, and skill. He's an amazing player. For whatever reason, I've never found myself wanting to cheer him on. Maybe if he had ever faced Kobe in the finals that would have been different.

Oh well. You don't need a reason to dislike one team over another. That's sports.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I'd personally rank him about right HERE

1. Bill Russell (Homer pick but you can't argue with 11 rings AND a couple as  Coach).

2. Michael

3. Wilt

4. Bird

5. Magic

6. Kareem

7. Duncan

8. Hakeem / LeBron?

I'd personally rank him somewhere around 8-10. This is not even counting Jerry West and a few others that we could debate.

Anything he does from here on out only helps his case at this point.
understandable. I just think the league was so different its impossible to bring Wilt and Bill into this.

id go:
Jordan
James
Magic
Bird
Kareem
Timmy
maybe Kobe after that
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cs4ever gets a TP from me for laying it out.

Lebron has been a self-centered ass for a lot of his career. The decision was bad, some of his quotes after the finals loss where he basically said, everyone rooting against  him has to go back to their ****ty lives now and he is still lebron james. Then theres the coaches he has basically fired, the players (like Kevin Love) that he has humiliated publicly through the press.

He is very very complimentary of other players and teams when he doesnt feel threatened. He is a terrific winner, always quick to complement the teams he beats, but I dont think he has an ounce of actual humility in him.

now, were he a Celtic, Id love him. Since hes been a Cavs and Heat player and he ended the big 3 era, and has beaten us countless times, I hate him.

were he toiling away on a really good western conference team (say the Spurs) and we had never really crossed paths, I would NOT like him.

he is not evil and has done a lot of good outside of basketball and has avoided negative headlines like the ones plaguing Carmelo Anthony at the moment, but he has done nothing to make me like him. I dont like Lebron james the person(note: very different from saying I hate Lebron James the person).

I hate Lebron James the Cavs Forward. I hope he never wins another ring.

Game, set, match?
Not unless you are arguing a really stupid point.

tho I suppose its a good plan of attack if you want to win arguments.

your next post should be there is no reason not to like Michael Jordan.

After that you can do Kobe and then Durant. Actually, I think Anthony Davis would be a nice touch.

I laid my argument out clearly. Lebron is amazing at basketball. His amazingness has made me sad many times. Thus, I award -100 fun points to lebron. I dont like Lebron as a person. This hsa been well documented within the thread, however, it is largely inconsequential compared ot the basketball sadness he has caused me. As such, I award Lebron -5 fun points.

were Lebron to play on the Celtics he would have provided me with much happiness. In fact, Id estimate I would award him 100 fun points!!!!

His comments would have still bothered me, but compared to his basketball dominance they would be largely inconsequential. I would still award Lebron -5 fun points.

Here is the breakdown:
Lebron is a Celtic: + 100(basketball) -5 (****bag)--> net +95--> I love Lebron
not a Celtic: -100(basketball) -5(****bag)--> net -105--> I HATE Lebron
pretend he doesnt play basketball: -5(****bag)--> results: -5 I dont like Lebron.

game, set, match.

No, on my scorecard.  You lost when you attempted to insult me. I am done with any exchange with you on this subject.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:08:14 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If you can guarantee a Celtic win then of course I want the Celtics to beat the Cavs

And if a Celtic championship isn't guaranteed, you're rooting for the Cavs?

I respect Lebron, but I'm not rooting for him against the Celts.

Anyone but GSW.

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you can guarantee a Celtic win then of course I want the Celtics to beat the Cavs

And if a Celtic championship isn't guaranteed, you're rooting for the Cavs?

I respect Lebron, but I'm not rooting for him against the Celts.

Anyone but GSW.

I respect your GSW hatred, but I can't get on board if it involves rooting against the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Cs4ever gets a TP from me for laying it out.

Lebron has been a self-centered ass for a lot of his career. The decision was bad, some of his quotes after the finals loss where he basically said, everyone rooting against  him has to go back to their ****ty lives now and he is still lebron james. Then theres the coaches he has basically fired, the players (like Kevin Love) that he has humiliated publicly through the press.

He is very very complimentary of other players and teams when he doesnt feel threatened. He is a terrific winner, always quick to complement the teams he beats, but I dont think he has an ounce of actual humility in him.

now, were he a Celtic, Id love him. Since hes been a Cavs and Heat player and he ended the big 3 era, and has beaten us countless times, I hate him.

were he toiling away on a really good western conference team (say the Spurs) and we had never really crossed paths, I would NOT like him.

he is not evil and has done a lot of good outside of basketball and has avoided negative headlines like the ones plaguing Carmelo Anthony at the moment, but he has done nothing to make me like him. I dont like Lebron james the person(note: very different from saying I hate Lebron James the person).

I hate Lebron James the Cavs Forward. I hope he never wins another ring.

Game, set, match?
Not unless you are arguing a really stupid point.

tho I suppose its a good plan of attack if you want to win arguments.

your next post should be there is no reason not to like Michael Jordan.

After that you can do Kobe and then Durant. Actually, I think Anthony Davis would be a nice touch.

I laid my argument out clearly. Lebron is amazing at basketball. His amazingness has made me sad many times. Thus, I award -100 fun points to lebron. I dont like Lebron as a person. This hsa been well documented within the thread, however, it is largely inconsequential compared ot the basketball sadness he has caused me. As such, I award Lebron -5 fun points.

were Lebron to play on the Celtics he would have provided me with much happiness. In fact, Id estimate I would award him 100 fun points!!!!

His comments would have still bothered me, but compared to his basketball dominance they would be largely inconsequential. I would still award Lebron -5 fun points.

Here is the breakdown:
Lebron is a Celtic: + 100(basketball) -5 (****bag)--> net +95--> I love Lebron
not a Celtic: -100(basketball) -5(****bag)--> net -105--> I HATE Lebron
pretend he doesnt play basketball: -5(****bag)--> results: -5 I dont like Lebron.

game, set, match.
This post was LarBrdian.

just missing a couple Hinkie GIFs and a LarBrd guarantee.

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
thanks for making my point.

You do not like him because he made his decision on ESPN in a media driven environment.

You do not like him because he hates to lose.

Nope, I did not.  But you may have taken it that because of your man crush.

ESPN had little to do with my opinion of him.  I don't watch it unless a game is on there.   I don't care about the media driven because I have zero respect for 95% of their commentators.   I think the decision how shallow and egocentric LeBron is as a person.   You probably did not see that way because it is obvious you like him.

I live in Ohio, so it is safe to say, I have seen LeBron since high school to a greater extent than most.   I like old school players, not divas as some here have aptly said.  LeBron is a total diva who thinks he is bigger than the game as a whole.  The majority of people here are not in agreement with you but I guess love is blind, eh?

I also think as good as LeBron is, the league has found it necessary to help him out with a ton of star calls and special treatment.   I think that he routinely goal tends on those blocks they love to show but the rules do not apply to him.  He is a foul waiting to happen on D but again those never get called.   When he has an off shooting night, you can bet the league will bail him out with tons of FTAs so, his average does not fall.

As for the hate to lose, if he truly hated it so much, then why the 50% rate in the finals.   I have literally seen him take himself out of game when he was going to lose to avoid the losing face.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWXtM5nb2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PesQ1yA6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdqy27KsqYk

He is a quitter, and he has done it multiple times.

Here  another example in print

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-lebron-james-walked-off-the-court-2015-11

LeBron's competitive nature, thanks for the laugh! That was some great sarcasm on your part.  He has taken over games in the last few years but there were large stretches of his career where he deferred to others or hide when the game was on the line.

Can I just say that while we are calling Lebron a quitter, number show that is he arguably the best elimination game performer in NBA history.

Facing Elimination

Lebron 32.9ppg 10.9rpg 6.9aspg 47.3Fg%
Jordan 31.3ppg 7.3rpg 7.7aspg 44.5Fg%

Kobe Bryant  Averages:
22.3 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.7 APG, 1.2 SPG, .6 BPG, 3.0 TOPG, 41.4 FG%, 27.5 3P%, 77.9 FT%

Tim Duncan  Averages:
21.9 PPG, 12.1 RPG, 3.1 APG, .9 SPG, 2.2 BPG, 2.9 TOPG, 44.7 FG%, 0.0 3P%, 74.3 FT%

When Lebrons back is against wall, put his numbers beside any player in NBA history and he easily out performs them. EASILY. But of course he is a quitter right??? ;)

Of course hard core raw data means nothing ppl with preconceived notions and biases. Just taught I'd give my 2 cents

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wow completely forgot about Kobe.

I'd place Kobe around 6-8, and LebBron would round out my top 10.

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Watching LeBron is a genuine privilege. By the time he's done, he may be the greatest that's ever played.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
thanks for making my point.

You do not like him because he made his decision on ESPN in a media driven environment.

You do not like him because he hates to lose.

Nope, I did not.  But you may have taken it that because of your man crush.

ESPN had little to do with my opinion of him.  I don't watch it unless a game is on there.   I don't care about the media driven because I have zero respect for 95% of their commentators.   I think the decision how shallow and egocentric LeBron is as a person.   You probably did not see that way because it is obvious you like him.

I live in Ohio, so it is safe to say, I have seen LeBron since high school to a greater extent than most.   I like old school players, not divas as some here have aptly said.  LeBron is a total diva who thinks he is bigger than the game as a whole.  The majority of people here are not in agreement with you but I guess love is blind, eh?

I also think as good as LeBron is, the league has found it necessary to help him out with a ton of star calls and special treatment.   I think that he routinely goal tends on those blocks they love to show but the rules do not apply to him.  He is a foul waiting to happen on D but again those never get called.   When he has an off shooting night, you can bet the league will bail him out with tons of FTAs so, his average does not fall.

As for the hate to lose, if he truly hated it so much, then why the 50% rate in the finals.   I have literally seen him take himself out of game when he was going to lose to avoid the losing face.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWXtM5nb2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PesQ1yA6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdqy27KsqYk

He is a quitter, and he has done it multiple times.

Here  another example in print

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-lebron-james-walked-off-the-court-2015-11

LeBron's competitive nature, thanks for the laugh! That was some great sarcasm on your part.  He has taken over games in the last few years but there were large stretches of his career where he deferred to others or hide when the game was on the line.

Can I just say that while we are calling Lebron a quitter, number show that is he arguably the best elimination game performer in NBA history.

Facing Elimination

Lebron 32.9ppg 10.9rpg 6.9aspg 47.3Fg%
Jordan 31.3ppg 7.3rpg 7.7aspg 44.5Fg%

Kobe Bryant  Averages:
22.3 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.7 APG, 1.2 SPG, .6 BPG, 3.0 TOPG, 41.4 FG%, 27.5 3P%, 77.9 FT%

Tim Duncan  Averages:
21.9 PPG, 12.1 RPG, 3.1 APG, .9 SPG, 2.2 BPG, 2.9 TOPG, 44.7 FG%, 0.0 3P%, 74.3 FT%

When Lebrons back is against wall, put his numbers beside any player in NBA history and he easily out performs them. EASILY. But of course he is a quitter right??? ;)

Of course hard core raw data means nothing ppl with preconceived notions and biases. Just taught I'd give my 2 cents
But the quitter got eliminated a lot more so...

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 07:53:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swfD5uFSg_E

He was right that it wasn't 7. He was wrong that is was 2. It was 2.

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow completely forgot about Kobe.

I'd place Kobe around 6-8, and LebBron would round out my top 10.

Kobe over Bron? Why so? Shaq did the heavy lifting on those first three title teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes