Author Topic: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ  (Read 13842 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The guy is the best player in the world, has always conducted himself with class. I root against him because he has foiled my beloved Celtics many times. But really apart from that what is there not to like about this guy. If he was a Celtic we would be clamoring to put up Statue for him at the Garden.

So, if Boston is not going to win the NBA this year, I would like LeBron to have a very easy path to the championship so he can dispatch the GSW.

I totally dislike GSW from the Laker that built the team to Durant that spurned the Celtics. Draymond Green's theatrics has grown old, and Curry as if he is the second coming has grown old too. So since LeBron and the Cavs have shown me now that not only can they take down GSW, they probably would be favored in that matchup I am rooting for the Cavs to dispatch Indiana quickly and have the easy path to the finals, but this ONLY if the Celtics are not going to win the championship. If you can guarantee a Celtic win then of course I want the Celtics to beat the Cavs.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The guy is the best player in the world, has always conducted himself with class

You think the decision was class?   I think that answers to your bias, right there.  There is a lot not to like about him, I thinkL:

1) He is the biggest crybaby for calls I have ever seen.  This is despite getting more star calls, ignored travels than any other player

2)  He is a sore loser who thinks shaking hands are beneath him and he runs to the locker room to hide so that people can't see him after a loss.

3) He often throws his team mates and coaches under the buss.  He has even got some coaches fired just ask David Blatt, Paul Silas and Mike Brown.

Not to mention these qoutes.

"LeBron stays humble just by being LeBron."

Here is why he did not notify the Cavs he was leaving.

“The last day I wanted it to be about me.”

Now I have heard he is very generous person to be fair, and does a lot of good things for his community like visiting sick kids.   But he clearly thinks he is the center of the universe and humility is not a strong suit.   That is part of what makes him a great player but great players are not always the best human beings.

I hope he is never a Celtic.   I wonder root for the Cavs ever.   I quite watching once we are out.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
thanks for making my point.

You do not like him because he made his decision on ESPN in a media driven environment.

You do not like him because he hates to lose.

The guy is probably the biggest name in the world of sports, most followed, and bears the burden of an entire league. He leads his team vocally and succeeds. Those are the things you do not like about him? LOL............OOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAY.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lebron is a diva. That's part of why people don't like him.  It's impossible to ignore that.

I'd encourage people to try to move beyond that and learn to enjoy watching him. He's easily the best player of his era.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
No one dominates like him on both ends, especially when it really matters. It's not even close and I think we all should appreciate that.

As far as the other stuff...everyone has human failings and in this modern era where everything is recorded and scrutinized to death, he's conducted himself better than many others.

And I have a feeling that if the whole Instabook/Snapface era had existed back in the day, many of our beloved Boston sports heroes would have come off looking a lot worse than Lebron does now. It's important to have perspective.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
You are fighting an uphill battle on this one, Ogaju. If you were taking about Duncan or Kawhi, your argument would be much easier to make.

Lebron is an amazing player who gives back to his community, but C4ever laid it out pretty well in describing his lack of humility and center of the universe personality. Everything he says and does is contrived. If he didn't care what people thought about him, he would probably be a lot more liked among all fans.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
You are fighting an uphill battle on this one, Ogaju. If you were taking about Duncan or Kawhi, your argument would be much easier to make.

Lebron is an amazing player who gives back to his community, but C4ever laid it out pretty well in describing his lack of humility and center of the universe personality. Everything he says and does is contrived. If he didn't care what people thought about him, he would probably be a lot more liked among all fans.

I don't think its an uphill battle because I will not argue any of the points made. I will only say, if LeBron is a diva as described by C4ever, 'I will like two Divas, one for here, and one to go, please'.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I like him at the start of a game .....but the whining and flopping gets to me and I end up still disliking his game.....which is enhanced by the refs.  He can't seem to just play ball n the court .  The NO Mass deal in SA was icing on the diva cake. 

Off court he seems pretty much a good guy and family man. 

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

I don't think its an uphill battle because I will not argue any of the points made. I will only say, if LeBron is a diva as described by C4ever, 'I will like two Divas, one for here, and one to go, please'.

Celtics4ever nailed it.
I believe a lot of basketball fans will agree with that statement.
Now you can chose to like him regarding all this and it's your right, but don't tell us there is no reason to not like him.
He's the most unlikable star with Wade and Draymond Green.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
How many of us liked KG before he came here?  I bet not many.  Even after he got here, I thought his tough talk and foul mouth were sometimes embarrassing.   The "cancer patient" comment to Charlie Villanueva was simply uncalled for.

My point is that as much as I dislike LeBron, I would embrace him if he became Celtic.

Re: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 04:16:09 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48

1) He is the biggest crybaby for calls I have ever seen.  This is despite getting more star calls, ignored travels than any other player

I think James Harden is a GREAAAAT opponent this year :D

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Celtics4ever nailed it.
Now you can chose to like him regarding all this and it's your right, but don't tell us there is no reason to not like him.

You were okay until your last sentence. When you say he is 'unlikable' you inject an objective stamp on what is totally subjective. None of the things you have listed are deviant, anti-social, or criminal behavior. In fact, everything he mentioned could be tagged with positive connotations. That is why I allow him his points and conclude that EVERY NBA team will take this so-called 'unlikable' player in a heartbeat.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 04:19:59 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
Cs4ever gets a TP from me for laying it out.

Lebron has been a self-centered ass for a lot of his career. The decision was bad, some of his quotes after the finals loss where he basically said, everyone rooting against  him has to go back to their Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty lives now and he is still lebron james. Then theres the coaches he has basically fired, the players (like Kevin Love) that he has humiliated publicly through the press.

He is very very complimentary of other players and teams when he doesnt feel threatened. He is a terrific winner, always quick to complement the teams he beats, but I dont think he has an ounce of actual humility in him.

now, were he a Celtic, Id love him. Since hes been a Cavs and Heat player and he ended the big 3 era, and has beaten us countless times, I hate him.

were he toiling away on a really good western conference team (say the Spurs) and we had never really crossed paths, I would NOT like him.

he is not evil and has done a lot of good outside of basketball and has avoided negative headlines like the ones plaguing Carmelo Anthony at the moment, but he has done nothing to make me like him. I dont like Lebron james the person(note: very different from saying I hate Lebron James the person).

I hate Lebron James the Cavs Forward. I hope he never wins another ring.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White

Celtics4ever nailed it.

You were okay until your last sentence. When you say he is 'unlikable' you inject an objective stamp on what is totally subjective. None of the things you have listed are deviant, anti-social, or criminal behavior. In fact, everything he mentioned could be tagged with positive connotations. That is why I allow him his points and conclude that EVERY NBA team will take this so-called 'unlikable' player in a heartbeat.
Ogaju, are you under the impression that a significant number of Celtics fans would not want Lebron James to play for them???????

also, likeability is inherently subjective. If you want people to argue objectively why they dont like [insert anything here] you are going to win. Congrats.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Cs4ever gets a TP from me for laying it out.

Lebron has been a self-centered ass for a lot of his career. The decision was bad, some of his quotes after the finals loss where he basically said, everyone rooting against  him has to go back to their ****ty lives now and he is still lebron james. Then theres the coaches he has basically fired, the players (like Kevin Love) that he has humiliated publicly through the press.

He is very very complimentary of other players and teams when he doesnt feel threatened. He is a terrific winner, always quick to complement the teams he beats, but I dont think he has an ounce of actual humility in him.

now, were he a Celtic, Id love him. Since hes been a Cavs and Heat player and he ended the big 3 era, and has beaten us countless times, I hate him.

were he toiling away on a really good western conference team (say the Spurs) and we had never really crossed paths, I would NOT like him.

he is not evil and has done a lot of good outside of basketball and has avoided negative headlines like the ones plaguing Carmelo Anthony at the moment, but he has done nothing to make me like him. I dont like Lebron james the person(note: very different from saying I hate Lebron James the person).

I hate Lebron James the Cavs Forward. I hope he never wins another ring.

Game, set, match?