Author Topic: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ  (Read 13837 times)

Re: Apart from just not liking a rival, there is no reason not to like LBJ
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
You are fighting an uphill battle on this one, Ogaju. If you were taking about Duncan or Kawhi, your argument would be much easier to make.

Lebron is an amazing player who gives back to his community, but C4ever laid it out pretty well in describing his lack of humility and center of the universe personality. Everything he says and does is contrived. If he didn't care what people thought about him, he would probably be a lot more liked among all fans.

I don't think its an uphill battle because I will not argue any of the points made. I will only say, if LeBron is a diva as described by C4ever, 'I will like two Divas, one for here, and one to go, please'.

Celtics4ever nailed it.
I believe a lot of basketball fans will agree with that statement.
Now you can chose to like him regarding all this and it's your right, but don't tell us there is no reason to not like him.
He's the most unlikable star with Wade and Draymond Green.

You were okay until your last sentence. When you say he is 'unlikable' you inject an objective stamp on what is totally subjective. None of the things you have listed are deviant, anti-social, or criminal behavior. In fact, everything he mentioned could be tagged with positive connotations. That is why I allow him his points and conclude that EVERY NBA team will take this so-called 'unlikable' player in a heartbeat.
Ogaju, are you under the impression that a significant number of Celtics fans would not want Lebron James to play for them???????

also, likeability is inherently subjective. If you want people to argue objectively why they dont like [insert anything here] you are going to win. Congrats.

your impression may be subjective but the stated reason can be objective. I don't like that car because it is yellow. Your impression is subjective but the reason given is an objective fact - the car is yellow. However if you say I do not like the car because the engine sound is too loud -'too loud' is your subjective impression, get it now. Yall do not like LeBron James because he is a sore loser - 'sore loser' is subjective. What you subjectively believe is 'sore loser' could be defined by others as 'fierce competitor' or 'killer instinct'. Get it?

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 04:37:01 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Cs4ever gets a TP from me for laying it out.

Lebron has been a self-centered ass for a lot of his career. The decision was bad, some of his quotes after the finals loss where he basically said, everyone rooting against  him has to go back to their ****ty lives now and he is still lebron james. Then theres the coaches he has basically fired, the players (like Kevin Love) that he has humiliated publicly through the press.

He is very very complimentary of other players and teams when he doesnt feel threatened. He is a terrific winner, always quick to complement the teams he beats, but I dont think he has an ounce of actual humility in him.

now, were he a Celtic, Id love him. Since hes been a Cavs and Heat player and he ended the big 3 era, and has beaten us countless times, I hate him.

were he toiling away on a really good western conference team (say the Spurs) and we had never really crossed paths, I would NOT like him.

he is not evil and has done a lot of good outside of basketball and has avoided negative headlines like the ones plaguing Carmelo Anthony at the moment, but he has done nothing to make me like him. I dont like Lebron james the person(note: very different from saying I hate Lebron James the person).

I hate Lebron James the Cavs Forward. I hope he never wins another ring.

Game, set, match?
Not unless you are arguing a really stupid point.

tho I suppose its a good plan of attack if you want to win arguments.

your next post should be there is no reason not to like Michael Jordan.

After that you can do Kobe and then Durant. Actually, I think Anthony Davis would be a nice touch.

I laid my argument out clearly. Lebron is amazing at basketball. His amazingness has made me sad many times. Thus, I award -100 fun points to lebron. I dont like Lebron as a person. This hsa been well documented within the thread, however, it is largely inconsequential compared ot the basketball sadness he has caused me. As such, I award Lebron -5 fun points.

were Lebron to play on the Celtics he would have provided me with much happiness. In fact, Id estimate I would award him 100 fun points!!!!

His comments would have still bothered me, but compared to his basketball dominance they would be largely inconsequential. I would still award Lebron -5 fun points.

Here is the breakdown:
Lebron is a Celtic: + 100(basketball) -5 (****bag)--> net +95--> I love Lebron
not a Celtic: -100(basketball) -5(****bag)--> net -105--> I HATE Lebron
pretend he doesnt play basketball: -5(****bag)--> results: -5 I dont like Lebron.

game, set, match.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:42:40 PM by Dannys Chipotle Guy »

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
You are fighting an uphill battle on this one, Ogaju. If you were taking about Duncan or Kawhi, your argument would be much easier to make.

Lebron is an amazing player who gives back to his community, but C4ever laid it out pretty well in describing his lack of humility and center of the universe personality. Everything he says and does is contrived. If he didn't care what people thought about him, he would probably be a lot more liked among all fans.

I don't think its an uphill battle because I will not argue any of the points made. I will only say, if LeBron is a diva as described by C4ever, 'I will like two Divas, one for here, and one to go, please'.

Celtics4ever nailed it.
I believe a lot of basketball fans will agree with that statement.
Now you can chose to like him regarding all this and it's your right, but don't tell us there is no reason to not like him.
He's the most unlikable star with Wade and Draymond Green.

You were okay until your last sentence. When you say he is 'unlikable' you inject an objective stamp on what is totally subjective. None of the things you have listed are deviant, anti-social, or criminal behavior. In fact, everything he mentioned could be tagged with positive connotations. That is why I allow him his points and conclude that EVERY NBA team will take this so-called 'unlikable' player in a heartbeat.
Ogaju, are you under the impression that a significant number of Celtics fans would not want Lebron James to play for them???????

also, likeability is inherently subjective. If you want people to argue objectively why they dont like [insert anything here] you are going to win. Congrats.

your impression may be subjective but the stated reason can be objective. I don't like that car because it is yellow. Your impression is subjective but the reason given is an objective fact - the car is yellow. However if you say I do not like the car because the engine sound is too loud -'too loud' is your subjective impression, get it now. Yall do not like LeBron James because he is a sore loser - 'sore loser' is subjective. What you subjectively believe is 'sore loser' could be defined by others as 'fierce competitor' or 'killer instinct'. Get it?
no.

the car is yellow. I think it is a bad yellow, you think its a good yellow but it is yellow. It has 1 color,  the subjective part is what we think of the color.

Lebron has made all of the quotes listed in the thread. Those quotes, in the car example, are the color "yellow". You may look at them and say they show competitive grit, I may look at them and say they show he is self--absorbed and immature. In the same sense that you look at the yellow car and think it is ugly and too flashy, while I look at it and think it is modern and slick.

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What should I do? Should I accept that there's just no reason to not like LBJ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-9sSKa0RA

ring chaser that was constantly sold to us as the greatest ....possibly of all time, but wasn't the greatest of his own.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

ring chaser that was constantly sold to us as the greatest ....possibly of all time, but wasn't the greatest of his own.

My tribute to Lebron :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXJuFqXECpc

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

My tribute to Lebron :

Now, that is hilarious.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Lebron is a diva. That's part of why people don't like him.  It's impossible to ignore that.

I'd encourage people to try to move beyond that and learn to enjoy watching him. He's easily the best player of his era.

I can't enjoy watching him, though, for three main reasons.

1) He is a Grade A flopper and complainer.  The great ones may complain, but I don't remember many flopping.

2) The league allows him to go full-speed, downhill, with shoulder lowered while initiating contact.  He never would have gotten away with this in the hand-check era.

3) I am almost 99% sure he does HGH.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks for making my point.

You do not like him because he made his decision on ESPN in a media driven environment.

You do not like him because he hates to lose.

The guy is probably the biggest name in the world of sports, most followed, and bears the burden of an entire league. He leads his team vocally and succeeds. Those are the things you do not like about him? LOL............OOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAY.
no, ogaju, no. this is not at all what he said and you should know that. if someone responds to the question you pose in a thread, you have a responsibility to listen to that responses.

simple putting words in the other poster's mouth or distorting what was written is not appropriate. you are much better than that.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
thanks for making my point.

You do not like him because he made his decision on ESPN in a media driven environment.

You do not like him because he hates to lose.

Nope, I did not.  But you may have taken it that because of your man crush.

ESPN had little to do with my opinion of him.  I don't watch it unless a game is on there.   I don't care about the media driven because I have zero respect for 95% of their commentators.   I think the decision how shallow and egocentric LeBron is as a person.   You probably did not see that way because it is obvious you like him.

I live in Ohio, so it is safe to say, I have seen LeBron since high school to a greater extent than most.   I like old school players, not divas as some here have aptly said.  LeBron is a total diva who thinks he is bigger than the game as a whole.  The majority of people here are not in agreement with you but I guess love is blind, eh?

I also think as good as LeBron is, the league has found it necessary to help him out with a ton of star calls and special treatment.   I think that he routinely goal tends on those blocks they love to show but the rules do not apply to him.  He is a foul waiting to happen on D but again those never get called.   When he has an off shooting night, you can bet the league will bail him out with tons of FTAs so, his average does not fall.

As for the hate to lose, if he truly hated it so much, then why the 50% rate in the finals.   I have literally seen him take himself out of game when he was going to lose to avoid the losing face.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRWXtM5nb2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1PesQ1yA6g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdqy27KsqYk

He is a quitter, and he has done it multiple times.

Here  another example in print

http://www.businessinsider.com/video-lebron-james-walked-off-the-court-2015-11

LeBron's competitive nature, thanks for the laugh! That was some great sarcasm on your part.  He has taken over games in the last few years but there were large stretches of his career where he deferred to others or hide when the game was on the line.

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The guy is the best player in the world, has always conducted himself with class. I root against him because he has foiled my beloved Celtics many times. But really apart from that what is there not to like about this guy. If he was a Celtic we would be clamoring to put up Statue for him at the Garden.

So, if Boston is not going to win the NBA this year, I would like LeBron to have a very easy path to the championship so he can dispatch the GSW.

I totally dislike GSW from the Laker that built the team to Durant that spurned the Celtics. Draymond Green's theatrics has grown old, and Curry as if he is the second coming has grown old too. So since LeBron and the Cavs have shown me now that not only can they take down GSW, they probably would be favored in that matchup I am rooting for the Cavs to dispatch Indiana quickly and have the easy path to the finals, but this ONLY if the Celtics are not going to win the championship. If you can guarantee a Celtic win then of course I want the Celtics to beat the Cavs.

Yeah... how about, no.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Unlike Kobe or Curry, I never had an issue with LeBron.

Happy that there are other Boston fans feeling the same way.

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
How many of us liked KG before he came here?  I bet not many.  Even after he got here, I thought his tough talk and foul mouth were sometimes embarrassing.   The "cancer patient" comment to Charlie Villanueva was simply uncalled for.

My point is that as much as I dislike LeBron, I would embrace him if he became Celtic.

KG was my favorite player before he came to the Cs and I think many other fans also liked him because of his tenacious play and incredibly versatile game. The fact that he had not won anything probably helped as well. KG may have been a jerk at times, but he was purely emotional without any regard to what others thought of him. He was like the anti-Lebron.

With all that being said, yeah, who the heck wouldn't want what Lebron did for the Heat. We would have embraced him for four years, collected our two rings, and bid him farewell. It's always about the name on the front of the jersey, not the back, and it's not like he is a serial rapist or murderer or anything.

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

My tribute to Lebron :

I dub that man....the greatest impersonator....that ever lived.

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 06:27:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you can guarantee a Celtic win then of course I want the Celtics to beat the Cavs

And if a Celtic championship isn't guaranteed, you're rooting for the Cavs?

I respect Lebron, but I'm not rooting for him against the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think "The Decision" still resonates with some.

In my book he's since redeemed himself for it.

Him going back HOME and winning a 'Chip was my deciding factor to give him more respect.

If he NEVER wins anything else in his career him doing that was the icing on the cake of his career.

Before it's all said and done I believe he'll be firmly planted in the top 10 all-time.

EDIT - He's also given BOS and Paul Pierce several nods of respect over the years - calling Paul one of his better defenders AND BOS in general being a thorn in his side.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:40:08 PM by GreenFaith1819 »