Poll

Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations?

He is totally exceeding expectations.
11 (11.1%)
He is meeting expectations.
42 (42.4%)
He is not meeting expectations but he's within range.
38 (38.4%)
He is nowhere near meeting expectations.
8 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.  (Read 21201 times)

Re: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Without various cop out answers like "The expectations have always been unfair" or something like that where do you rank Marcus Smart?

To me he's a sixth man via his tough play and defense. Yes he tries very hard all the time, but that's not good enough. He wasn't drafted 6th to be a 6th man. He as supposed to be beating out Avery Bradley by now and it's not even close.

He's a great defender and that's all he is. You don't try to draft Bruce Bowen or something with the 6th pick.

I think the expectations were...by the third year....a solid starter in this league. A good offensive player. A good passer/playmaker.

He's nothing like that. He's just a  try hard intense player who has a knack for showing up big in tough spots. Not good enough.

I respect him but I think he's a pick that is a missed opportunity.

Smart is better than Bradley.
Not at basketball though

At What?

Not defense--not shooting--not decision making--not moving without the ball--maybe passing but when you add in decision making on forced passes Smart is not better than Bradley at any part of the game.
Smart is a more versatile defender. Avery is better on-ball, but is actually pretty mediocre as a team defender.

Smart is also a much better decision-maker and passer. He has better court vision, a better handle, and most importantly has been more reliable in the playoffs.

Every year, Smart has upped his game come playoff time while AB has proven himself incredibly unreliable come playoff time. Every year, going all the way back to the big 3 era. He got hurt his first year in the playoffs, second year he was a no-show until the 4th quarter of our last game. He was mediocre against the Cavs, got hurt again, last season in game one, and in this series hes had 1 good game and 3 bad ones.

AB is better today for sure, but Id rather keep Smart. I think he will be cheaper and ultimately more valuable down the road.

Smart is a very good on-ball defender and is not great off the ball. He and Avery both consistently get caught watching and reaching when they're off-ball.  I wouldn't say one of them is any better or worse than the other off-ball.     

I also have no idea what you're talking about with the "every year Smart has upped his game come playoff time" statement.  Smart is currently averaging 7.6 ppg in 15 playoff games this season and is shooting a FG% of .346...
Sorry this is not what I have seen in his career.  Smart could be a best off-ball defender in the NBA.  He makes plays where there was no play.  He gets his hands in the passing lanes, dives for loosed balls and rebounds with the big boys.

« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2017, 07:59:33 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Without various cop out answers like "The expectations have always been unfair" or something like that where do you rank Marcus Smart?

To me he's a sixth man via his tough play and defense. Yes he tries very hard all the time, but that's not good enough. He wasn't drafted 6th to be a 6th man. He as supposed to be beating out Avery Bradley by now and it's not even close.

He's a great defender and that's all he is. You don't try to draft Bruce Bowen or something with the 6th pick.

I think the expectations were...by the third year....a solid starter in this league. A good offensive player. A good passer/playmaker.

He's nothing like that. He's just a  try hard intense player who has a knack for showing up big in tough spots. Not good enough.

Not at basketball though

At What?

Not defense--not shooting--not decision making--not moving without the ball--maybe passing but when you add in decision making on forced passes Smart is not better than Bradley at any part of the game.
Smart is a more versatile defender. Avery is better on-ball, but is actually pretty mediocre as a team defender.

Smart is also a much better decision-maker and passer. He has better court vision, a better handle, and most importantly has been more reliable in the playoffs.

Every year, Smart has upped his game come playoff time while AB has proven himself incredibly unreliable come playoff time. Every year, going all the way back to the big 3 era. He got hurt his first year in the playoffs, second year he was a no-show until the 4th quarter of our last game. He was mediocre against the Cavs, got hurt again, last season in game one, and in this series hes had 1 good game and 3 bad ones.

AB is better today for sure, but Id rather keep Smart. I think he will be cheaper and ultimately more valuable down the road.

Smart is a very good on-ball defender and is not great off the ball.  He and Avery both consistently get caught watching and reaching when they're off-ball.  I wouldn't say one of them is any better or worse than the other off-ball.     

I also have no idea what you're talking about with the "every year Smart has upped his game come playoff time" statement.  Smart is currently averaging 7.6 ppg in 15 playoff games this season and is shooting a FG% of .346...
when I made the post, it was true.

then you came back a month later after a rough stretch for Marcus, then he ****ed around and dropped 27 in a win over the Cavs.

And then he followed that up by going 3/16 in his next two games. 

Your statement that "Marcus Smart raises his game in the playoffs" was simply never correct.  I don't mean to pick on you, but there's fandom and then there's just unsubstantiated wishful thinking.   

Smart average 8.6 ppg on a FG % of .351 and played 30 minutes pg in the playoffs this year. 

« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2017, 08:24:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not at basketball though

At What?

Smart is a very good on-ball defender and is not great off the ball.  He and Avery both consistently get caught watching and reaching when they're off-ball.  I wouldn't say one of them is any better or worse than the other off-ball.     

when I made the post, it was true.

then you came back a month later after a rough stretch for Marcus, then he ****ed around and dropped 27 in a win over the Cavs.

And then he followed that up by going 3/16 in his next two games. 

Your statement that "Marcus Smart raises his game in the playoffs" was simply never correct.  I don't mean to pick on you, but there's fandom and then there's just unsubstantiated wishful thinking.   

Smart average 8.6 ppg on a FG % of .351 and played 30 minutes pg in the playoffs this year.
This year he didnt make the jump, but each of his two previous seasons he improved in the playoffs.

Smart didnt really elevate his game this year which was disappointing, but he did dominate game 3 against cleveland, was massive in the comebacks against Washington in games 1 and 7. He also provided elite defense all playoffs.

I said "Smart has upped his game come playoff time", which is different than saying he raises his game come playoff time.

Rookie year he went from 9/3/3 to 10/3/1 with improved fg%
last year he went from 9/4/3 to 12/5/3 with improved fg%

Not huge, but those are improvements consistent with my statement.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2017, 08:49:53 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
C+/B-, though maybe a solid B if you take into account how underwhelming his draft class has performed in general.  He's a stud on defense, but I don't think anyone can be impressed by his lack of offensive growth.  I wasn't very high on him at the time though (really wanted Randle instead), so I suppose he has an advantage there of me not having sky-high expectations like some others here may have.