Poll

Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations?

He is totally exceeding expectations.
11 (11.1%)
He is meeting expectations.
42 (42.4%)
He is not meeting expectations but he's within range.
38 (38.4%)
He is nowhere near meeting expectations.
8 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.  (Read 21038 times)

Re: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Got it. And I thought I pointed out that he failed to live up to his rim attacking abilities so... yeah we are in agreement for the most part. But for me he made up that short expectation by being even better than advertised at defense and intangibles.  I guess the difference being you expected more growth as I see it as getting what you bought. But him being a #6 pick.... sure maybe we should expect him to reach that ceiling everyone wanted for him. But that sounds like hope to me, not a realistic expectation.

Agreed. I think Scouts were off on him, same with fan expectations. And yeah you mentioned the attakcing the rim stuff, was just explaining my POV on your original post. He has definitely exceeded in regards to defense and intangibles. I'm also pleased with his ball handling to this point. He can bring up the ball in playoff games against the best competition so it's pretty big.

« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Without various cop out answers like "The expectations have always been unfair" or something like that where do you rank Marcus Smart?

To me he's a sixth man via his tough play and defense. Yes he tries very hard all the time, but that's not good enough. He wasn't drafted 6th to be a 6th man. He as supposed to be beating out Avery Bradley by now and it's not even close.

He's a great defender and that's all he is. You don't try to draft Bruce Bowen or something with the 6th pick.

I think the expectations were...by the third year....a solid starter in this league. A good offensive player. A good passer/playmaker.

He's nothing like that. He's just a  try hard intense player who has a knack for showing up big in tough spots. Not good enough.

I respect him but I think he's a pick that is a missed opportunity.

Smart is better than Bradley.
Not at basketball though

At What?

Not defense--not shooting--not decision making--not moving without the ball--maybe passing but when you add in decision making on forced passes Smart is not better than Bradley at any part of the game.
Smart is a more versatile defender. Avery is better on-ball, but is actually pretty mediocre as a team defender.

Smart is also a much better decision-maker and passer. He has better court vision, a better handle, and most importantly has been more reliable in the playoffs.

Every year, Smart has upped his game come playoff time while AB has proven himself incredibly unreliable come playoff time. Every year, going all the way back to the big 3 era. He got hurt his first year in the playoffs, second year he was a no-show until the 4th quarter of our last game. He was mediocre against the Cavs, got hurt again, last season in game one, and in this series hes had 1 good game and 3 bad ones.

AB is better today for sure, but Id rather keep Smart. I think he will be cheaper and ultimately more valuable down the road.

Smart is a very good on-ball defender and is not great off the ball.  He and Avery both consistently get caught watching and reaching when they're off-ball.  I wouldn't say one of them is any better or worse than the other off-ball.     

I also have no idea what you're talking about with the "every year Smart has upped his game come playoff time" statement.  Smart is currently averaging 7.6 ppg in 15 playoff games this season and is shooting a FG% of .346...

« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2017, 11:06:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Without various cop out answers like "The expectations have always been unfair" or something like that where do you rank Marcus Smart?

To me he's a sixth man via his tough play and defense. Yes he tries very hard all the time, but that's not good enough. He wasn't drafted 6th to be a 6th man. He as supposed to be beating out Avery Bradley by now and it's not even close.

He's a great defender and that's all he is. You don't try to draft Bruce Bowen or something with the 6th pick.

I think the expectations were...by the third year....a solid starter in this league. A good offensive player. A good passer/playmaker.

He's nothing like that. He's just a  try hard intense player who has a knack for showing up big in tough spots. Not good enough.

I respect him but I think he's a pick that is a missed opportunity.

Smart is better than Bradley.
Not at basketball though

At What?

Not defense--not shooting--not decision making--not moving without the ball--maybe passing but when you add in decision making on forced passes Smart is not better than Bradley at any part of the game.
Smart is a more versatile defender. Avery is better on-ball, but is actually pretty mediocre as a team defender.

Smart is also a much better decision-maker and passer. He has better court vision, a better handle, and most importantly has been more reliable in the playoffs.

Every year, Smart has upped his game come playoff time while AB has proven himself incredibly unreliable come playoff time. Every year, going all the way back to the big 3 era. He got hurt his first year in the playoffs, second year he was a no-show until the 4th quarter of our last game. He was mediocre against the Cavs, got hurt again, last season in game one, and in this series hes had 1 good game and 3 bad ones.

AB is better today for sure, but Id rather keep Smart. I think he will be cheaper and ultimately more valuable down the road.

Smart is a very good on-ball defender and is not great off the ball.  He and Avery both consistently get caught watching and reaching when they're off-ball.  I wouldn't say one of them is any better or worse than the other off-ball.     

I also have no idea what you're talking about with the "every year Smart has upped his game come playoff time" statement.  Smart is currently averaging 7.6 ppg in 15 playoff games this season and is shooting a FG% of .346...
when I made the post, it was true.

then you came back a month later after a rough stretch for Marcus, then he Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed around and dropped 27 in a win over the Cavs.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Absolutely he is - the needed change needs to come from the coaching staff teaching him to be very selective with his shooting attempts.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's the greatest awful shooter ever.
 ;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2017, 11:35:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He's the greatest awful shooter ever.
 ;D
TP Pho...hit it right on with that one.

« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So can we confirm that marcus is clutch now?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2017, 11:54:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bradley did not get a shooting touch over night either. aB was a defensive special guy for years before he broke out with offensive game.

Marcus is ALL CELTIC in heart.

« Reply #173 on: May 21, 2017, 11:57:11 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

Yes we can. Unlike anyone else has done in these playoffs, Marcus Smart dropped 27 on the Cavs AND Marcus Smart outplayed Lebron James and won the Celtics an ECF game in Cleveland so YES i can say Marcus Smart came out clutch tonight.

« Reply #174 on: May 21, 2017, 11:58:51 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • That's turrible
He needed a game where he was given the keys to the team at this level. Eastern Conference Finals with no IT? This kid was a real leader today and stepped up. If he can play every game like this (not 7 threes made, but doing some scoring from everywhere and get 5-6 APG), he'll be a building block for this team when it comes time to truly contend again.

« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2017, 12:28:04 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It was the most points he ever scored in a game. Pretty good timing for him to do that lol

« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2017, 12:32:38 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
It was the most points he ever scored in a game. Pretty good timing for him to do that lol

I agree. Marcus stepped up big tonight and the timing was perfect. Long shot but it would be awesome if we pulled another bulls series type comeback n went to the Finals.

« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love Marcus Smart but can't see another shooting night like tonight happening again this year. Would be thrilled if I am wrong but tonight I think falls under the heading of a statistical anamoly. He can still help this team win another game this series, but doubt he has another shooting night like tonight.

« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2017, 01:56:40 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

He's always been clutch. People have been harping about his game-winning plays since long ago.

« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2017, 07:17:12 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Marcus Smart is a winner. His stats don't show his true self but last night he showed he deserves to be on this team moving forward. He is a throwback Celtic for sure.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek