Poll

Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations?

He is totally exceeding expectations.
11 (11.1%)
He is meeting expectations.
42 (42.4%)
He is not meeting expectations but he's within range.
38 (38.4%)
He is nowhere near meeting expectations.
8 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.  (Read 21206 times)

Re: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Improvement as a finisher and improvement as a shooter and Marcus is an all-star.  He's improved his FT% from 65% in year 1 to 81% in year 3.  His 4.6 assists per game are 1.6 higher than last year.   He just turned 23.   Marcus is a B+ based on my (limited knowledge) hopes when drafted.  He has a chance to be a very valuable player in this league and he has aleady demonstrated a knack for clutch shooting and clutch defense.  Add 2 consistent shooters to this team and no one is going to do anything but praise Smart's contributions to this team. 

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 04:49:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's met or exceeded expectations as a defender, as a passer, and as a hustler.  He's a huge contributor for a playoff team.

That said, he's probably bottom-10 offensively among rotation guards. I expected him to be a decent scorer / shooter, and he's not yet.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd say that he's been successful in unexpected ways. Has he evolved into the point guard of the future, the heir to Rondo's throne? Unequivocally, no. Has he proven to be a positive presence, one who consistently contributes to winning basketball games? Absolutely. Ultimately, that likely means he's been slightly disappointing, yet still quite valuable and important.

Additionally, some of the declarative statements made by the OP are patently ridiculous. I think I'd rather have Gordon than Smart, which doesn't really reflect poorly on the C's given their draft slots, but the idea that Randle is clearly better (or better at all) than Smart is ludicrous. Randle has been consistently bad to meh on one of the worst teams in the league. And following that theme, I think it's very unfair to call Smart a "missed opportunity." Due to our need for increased scoring on the second unit, I would probably concede that we'd be better off with Zach Lavine than Smart. Gary Harris and Clint Capela are another two that I'd likely take over Smart. However, to draft any of these guys at #6 would have been considered certifiably insane at the time.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
His shooting needs work, but everything else: ball handling, intangibles/toughness/team first attitude /winning mentality / never back down style, defense, passing, rebounding are very much meeting expectations.

He's been a trusted player for CBS since day 1, and been a major rotation player on a winner. Still has a ways to go for sure.

It took Avery a long time to develop. I think Marcus is doing well. If he becomes a better shooter he'll be the real deal. 

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 05:00:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's met or exceeded expectations as a defender, as a passer, and as a hustler.  He's a huge contributor for a playoff team.

That said, he's probably bottom-10 offensively among rotation guards. I expected him to be a decent scorer / shooter, and he's not yet.

Basically, he's a quality NBA player at most things, other than putting the ball through the basket.  In that area, he is sub-NBA caliber.

Unfortunately, that's a pretty major part of the game.

He's a mixed bag, but I'm glad he's on the team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
When we drafted him, I expected his size and passing for the position to allow him to get the rim with ease. Obviously his offense is below what I expected, but I also didn't expect his defense and intangibles to be nearly this good.

But offense is very important, so I would say he is slightly worse than I expected.
#JKJB

Re: Is Marcus Smart meeting expectations? Grade him here.vo
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 05:18:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's performed stat wise better than exum, vonleh, and arguably randle when considering wins. He's actually playing and parker/embiid aren't. We picked well at that spot.

Just like brown is playing better than Ingram (both stat wise and win wise). Brown is also playing better than a lot of those other players drafted under him like bender and arguably buddy when considering %s. Murray has pretty decent stats

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
On defense and hustle plays he's off the charts.

When he  chucks a 3, I scream at my television.

I'd like to see him post up more.

I wouldn't mind seeing if he can hit from a step inside the line, 20 footers. Not part of the team philosophy. This and lack of postup plays make it an inc. on offense for me, though I expected him to be a better slasher and finisher. I'd compare him to the glove, but more physical, and not as good passing in the open floor.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I dont think he met the expectations of 6th pick we tanked for in a "loaded draft". That expectation, or at least hope, was that he would turn into a borderline all-star point guard of the future type.

So in that sense he has not met expectations.

THat said, was he a good pick? Id say absolutely.

He was in a tier of players with Gordon, Exum, Randle, and Vonleh.

I get picking Gordon or Randle over him, but I for one, think Marcus is the best of the bunch. I think he was a good pick. The expectations for that whole draft were higher than they ever should have been.

Also, I think Smart is the best 6th man in the league, which isnt bad as a 23 year old kid.
You think Smart is better than Aaron Gordon and J Randle? 

He's not as good as Elfrid Payton (picked 10th) either.  I definitely take him over Vonleh and Exum.

I'll take "Opinions Even Homer Magic Fans Find Ridiculous" for 800, Alex.
You're a huge Bruce Bowen fan aren't you? The things is Bowen was a far better shooter. As long as it wasn't at the line where he was terrible.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I understand why people praise his toughness and his hustle. I get why people say he's the heart and soul of the team but the thing is this team doesn't really have much heart and soul. It's a soft team. If he were on a tough team...if he were on the Bucks, or the Raptors for example he'd just be a plus defender that can't shoot. He'd be Terry Rozier.

I get that he's 6ft 4 Perk, but Perk was a role player drafted late in the draft out of high school. Smart was drafted 6th. Not only that but the perception was that he slid to us and was more likely the third best guy in the draft.  He's definitely been a disappointment.

I'm not saying for one second he's a lost cause. It took Avery a long time to get to where he is. But it's still not meeting expectations.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'd say that he's been successful in unexpected ways. Has he evolved into the point guard of the future, the heir to Rondo's throne? Unequivocally, no. Has he proven to be a positive presence, one who consistently contributes to winning basketball games? Absolutely. Ultimately, that likely means he's been slightly disappointing, yet still quite valuable and important.

Additionally, some of the declarative statements made by the OP are patently ridiculous. I think I'd rather have Gordon than Smart, which doesn't really reflect poorly on the C's given their draft slots, but the idea that Randle is clearly better (or better at all) than Smart is ludicrous. Randle has been consistently bad to meh on one of the worst teams in the league. And following that theme, I think it's very unfair to call Smart a "missed opportunity." Due to our need for increased scoring on the second unit, I would probably concede that we'd be better off with Zach Lavine than Smart. Gary Harris and Clint Capela are another two that I'd likely take over Smart. However, to draft any of these guys at #6 would have been considered certifiably insane at the time.
Let me get this straight.....you say if we traded Smart for Randle straight up we get worse and they get better? The Lakers trade us a starter (Randle would absolutely start here) and they get a 6th man (at best). We insert Rozier who would essentially replace everything Smart does except scowl and flip people off. We get better. They get worse.  Randle is better. And not by a little bit.

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I dont think he met the expectations of 6th pick we tanked for in a "loaded draft". That expectation, or at least hope, was that he would turn into a borderline all-star point guard of the future type.

I get picking Gordon or Randle over him, but I for one, think Marcus is the best of the bunch. I think he was a good pick. The expectations for that whole draft were higher than they ever should have been.

Also, I think Smart is the best 6th man in the league, which isnt bad as a 23 year old kid.

He's not as good as Elfrid Payton (picked 10th) either.  I definitely take him over Vonleh and Exum.

You're a huge Bruce Bowen fan aren't you? The things is Bowen was a far better shooter. As long as it wasn't at the line where he was terrible.
Bowen was a horrible shooter from everywhere other than the 3pt line.  He shot 41% from the field and 57% from the line for his career.  In his 3rd season he shot 28% from the field, 27% from 3 and 46% from the line!  Smart already has a much more diverse offensive game and he is far better than Bowen was in his 3rd year.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Bowen was a horrible shooter from everywhere other than the 3pt line.  He shot 41% from the field and 57% from the line for his career.  In his 3rd season he shot 28% from the field, 27% from 3 and 46% from the line!  Smart already has a much more diverse offensive game and he is far better than Bowen was in his 3rd year.
Ok fine. Young Smart is Prime Bowen without the good shooting.

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Rozier who would essentially replace everything Smart does except scowl and flip people off.
lol

you dont watch the games I see.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Rozier who would essentially replace everything Smart does except scowl and flip people off.
lol

you dont watch the games I see.
No no. I do. I think that's the issue here.