Poll

Would you trade the Brooklyn pick + Crowder for Porzingis + O'Quinn?

Yes, I'd make these moves if possible
28 (84.8%)
No, I wouldn't make these moves
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Poll: If we signed Hayward, would you trade the Brooklyn pick + Crowder for KP?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So after watching Hayward last night and seeing the reports of Griffin going down with yet another season ending-injury, I think it's safe to say that Hayward has become the number one target this offseason.

I think what also has become apparent is that while Crowder is certainly valuable on his excellent contract, we're ultimately going to have to upgrade his position to be true contenders. We have to have another big-time scorer on the roster, and it seems pretty clear that the duo of IT and AB is just too small when combined with an even more undersized frontcourt.

And we showed last year that we can still play elite D even with IT on the floor, but we have to have the right supporting cast around him, specifically with better size all around him. Specifically, we have to get another starting-level big next to Horford, ideally one that is a playmaker and can get a bucket when called on.

And after the continued reports of Phil Jackson's fascination with Crowder, along with Porzingis' continued disdain with the Knicks organization, what about these moves this summer:

1. On draft night, offer the Brooklyn pick (probably has to be top-2) and Crowder for Porzingis and O'Quinn. I'd even go as far as offering up something like Yab and the Memphis or Clippers pick too if need be, which we'll assume is required. Jackson has to consider it given his problematic relationship with Porzingis right now and his ultimate fascination with Crowder. When combined with a Melo trade to somewhere like LAC, this could give him a fresh start with two likely top-7 picks in a deep draft, along with Crowder and some other young talent to rebuild the Knicks around.

2. Also on draft night, trade AB for some future picks, which should open up the necessary room for Hayward.

3. Sign Hayward in free agency and fill out the bench.

That'd leave us with the following roster:

PG: IT, Rozier
SG: Brown, Smart
SF: Hayward, ? (perhaps resigning Green to the minimum?)
PF: Porzingis, O'Quinn
C: Horford, Zizic

We then transform from an undersized, primarily regular season team to a team with overall good size, elite offensive potential, and good defensive potential, while also having an excellent balance of young players and veterans on the roster.

And I know, Brown starting at the 2 is a bit worrisome given how bad he has looked in the playoffs thus far. However, after another full summer of work and growth, I think we can throw him to the fire and him be ready. He's already played his best ball as a starter next to better players anyways, so I think he'd handle it well.

So what do you think? If you could convince Jackson to trade you Porzingis and O'Quinn with some type of similar deal (I think is doable) plus convince Hayward to sign here, would you make those moves this summer? And don't forget that this move would work well for our future, too: it'd allow us to resign IT and Smart next summer; we'd actually get younger while probably getting better and more balanced overall; and we'd keep the 2018 Brooklyn pick to add more talent next summer.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:49:22 PM by jpotter33 »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
You think the team is soft now?

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd be up for that, Might have to give up both picks, but guys like KP don't come around very often, and he's perfect for Stevens style.

I'm not super worried about Brown. He's probably hitting the Rookie wall right now, and he's over thinking the game, trying too hard in the playoffs. He looked better last night.

I mean, you could potentially have a future front court of Zizic and KP. I would be like Robinson and Duncun, the foreign version. LOL

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Jackson will NEVER trade Porzingis.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Not so familiar with KP but I will do it only because Big man is rare, you get one when there is a chance(if he is really an all-rounder)

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Every single draft pick we control, plus any players that Jackson wants, plus relieving the Knicks of Joakim Noah's contract....

Would not get the deal done. Unless Porzingas says he will only play in Boston, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY we could put together a package compelling enough to get him.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
well one of them has to go

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Every single draft pick we control, plus any players that Jackson wants, plus relieving the Knicks of Joakim Noah's contract....

Would not get the deal done. Unless Porzingas says he will only play in Boston, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY we could put together a package compelling enough to get him.

Hey Kristap, is that you?

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
well one of them has to go

Nah, Melo will go.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
You said the pick would have to be top-2. In this scenario, it depends if it's one or two, because I wouldn't trade Markelle Fultz for Kristaps Porzingis.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
You said the pick would have to be top-2. In this scenario, it depends if it's one or two, because I wouldn't trade Markelle Fultz for Kristaps Porzingis.

Interesting. I'm a big Fultz guy, too, and I think Porzingis is probably a bit overrated. But still, the chance to add a franchise big to a franchise that hasn't had one in a long, long time is just too tantalizing, especially with Porzingis' particular skillset.

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I'd trade Bkn's for KP.  Last thing we need is another young guard, which seems the one sure thing about this draft class.

Yes Hayward, and believe it or not, Melo are both intriguing propositions to me.

I do think we need more production from our SF/PF position (i.e. Crowder's minutes)

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Interesting. I'm a big Fultz guy, too, and I think Porzingis is probably a bit overrated. But still, the chance to add a franchise big to a franchise that hasn't had one in a long, long time is just too tantalizing, especially with Porzingis' particular skillset.

I like Porzingis. I'd feel much more comfortable with him than Josh Jackson or Jayson Tatum, probably Lonzo as well. However, he's pretty significantly overrated. He's not a particularly efficient offensive player, he's a poor defender and rebounder, and he's already had a litany of medical issues (especially concerning at his size). Maybe we just haven't seen Markelle's faults amplified in the NBA yet, but I've seen nothing that should prevent him from being truly great.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
If we get Hayward I would be interested in a trade based around Crowder and Herangomez, keeping the Nets pick in Boston.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I would trade Crowder and a non-bkn pick and some 2nds for Melo. Let them take some other unwanteds like Mickey.

He helps win now with IT and Horford and helps bring along Brown and Yabu. Win-win.

Then able to go over the cap to resign Amir and JJ for the bench.

Totally different situation next year. IT, Melo, and Horford +Bradley. Go ahead and start Jalen with that group. Plenty of solid bench options once we can bring our own guys back.

Why not?  We don't contend next year renouncing everyone and signing Hayward. We might by trading for Melo on draft night, then bringing back our role players.

Porzingis isn't getting traded. Won't happen. But yeah, he's proven enough and is still young enough to be worth it; it would better balance our roster than bringing in a Guard of comparable talent.