Author Topic: Mea Culpa - former Marcus Smart Hater  (Read 2112 times)

Mea Culpa - former Marcus Smart Hater
« on: April 22, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
The kid plays with great toughness. I laughed out loud twice watching last night's game at how willing he is to sacrifice his body for his team. He seems almost oblivious to physical harm. He isn't pushing for a greater role. He plays great defence.

Very pleased he is on the team.

...in the past, I had complained about his shooting, about his decision making, and so on. But he's got a great heart, and I take it all back. Rather have the heart and no shooting and poor decision making.

Re: Mea Culpa - former Marcus Smart Hater
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
You are forgiven.  As a board member of the YoungGameChanger fan club, let me know if you would like to apply for membership.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
7-6-5-1-1 last night. Filling up the stat sheet.

He's not the best Celtic but he's my favorite.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I  love Marcus Smart, I hope he is a Celtics for life

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:07:11 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
HeŽs a badass for sure. That kid just loves that Spalding ball, if the opponent is careless with it, heŽll take it away.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
He is the man. If Kelly could just have his heart we would have a beast!

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Great thread here, guys, and high time. I can only ditto the perceptive sentiments of the group.

This will probably sound mentally ill, but I haven't given up on old Kelly.

I cling to the belief that he can be a very good player on a consistent basis. I fully realize that this may well be with another team which would be too bad.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 09:15:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Great thread here, guys, and high time. I can only ditto the perceptive sentiments of the group.

I cling to the belief that he can be a very good player on a consistent basis. I fully realize that this may well be with another team which would be too bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:20:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I  love Marcus Smart, I hope he is a Celtics for life

Me TOO!
A real man and non diva .   He gives it all for better or worse every minute on court . 

He has more manhood in his little toe than Kelly Olynyk has in his entire body .

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distortion
I also haven't given up on Olynyk. He's just so skilled and a 7 footer who can knock down 3's can't be tossed away. He's not a star but if he could average 12-6 in 30 mpg and find some way to be consistent, that's a great first big off the bench.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'be been hot and cold on Kelly but I think I've given up on him.  I love Marcus.   Wish he wouldn't take so many long shots but I'll take a few of them because of the rest of his game.  I hope he does nothing but shoot 15 feet and out 1000 times a day in the off season.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I'm glad he recieves recognition.

I hope we all keep that in mind, not only in the times where he shines but also when he has poor shooting nights. I think that nowadays players are only judged through stats while Marcus's value doesn't show up on that sheet.

He's a fighter, and I think IT really meant it when he said Smart was a championship team piece. He does all he can to bring the win.

Always loved him and I would really hate it if he was traded (But I don't think it's happening considering how he plays in playoffs so far)

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I hope we all keep that in mind, not only in the times where he shines but also when he has poor shooting nights. I think that nowadays players are only judged through stats while Marcus's value doesn't show up on that sheet.

He's a fighter, and I think IT really meant it when he said Smart was a championship team piece. He does all he can to bring the win.

Always loved him and I would really hate it if he was traded (But I don't think it's happening considering how he plays in playoffs so far)

I've gotten in many arguments about Smart being one of the few players on the team that is near untradeable just for that reason. He gets picked on for bad shooting because we don't have a lot of great scorers on the team. But he makes up for inconsistent shooting with night in and night out defense. Even when he messes up on the offensive end, 9 times out of 10 he makes a play on defense right after. The fact that he can change the game on defense is amazing, how many guys can do that? Thats why he's a key piece in a championship run, he's not the star, go to guy, but the glue guy. The pit bull who's going to get his ball back, and doesn't care HOW big the other dog is.

One thing about Smart too is that he tends to hit shots when they are really needed, he has that clutch factor, it's not as good as some of the stars in the league, but how many times has he been cold all game and drains a 3 to keep the lead, go up, or even get us with in a possession.   

And you know if KG was on the team he'd tell DA if he traded Smart that he would beat him with in an inch of his life with his own arms.  :)

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 10:49:17 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
People hate Smart backers more than Smart himself.

Smart backers seem to bypass everything that is bad with Smart when it's pointed out. How do they do it? By saying he does something else that negate the bad. Other players? Nope, they are garbage and should be traded.

I get it. People love an underdog.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Its not about his shooting anyway.  We all know he's terrible at offense.  I'm not the biggest fan for sure but I can see the toughness and energy aspect.  I think he's way overrated by Celtic fans as an on-ball defender but team wise he's really good.

Just needs to find some role on offense where he doesn't kill us and he'll be alright moving forward.