Author Topic: Power Forwards available via trade this offseason.  (Read 3022 times)

Power Forwards available via trade this offseason.
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:40 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
This offseason is shaping up to leave us with a major hole in the PF position. We are losing amir and likely Olynyk plus there are no legitimate PF prospects where we will be drafting. In addition to that I think the Celtics most likely free agent  target is Gordon Hayward who is a SF.

Thus the only avenue I see the celtics going down is trading for a PF with a combination of picks/players.

Who would you like us to trade for?

I think Jamychal Green or Gorgui Deng could be two great options if we are looking for defense and rebounding.  Another guy to watch out for is Jon Leuer on the Pistons. He's basically a better Olynyk. Those three guys could probably be had relatively cheaply and fit a huge need for us. The ultimate guy I would want us to trade for though is Porzingis I'd see if they bit on the 2017BKLN pick and filler.

Re: Power Forwards available via trade this offseason.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 11:49:52 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Best option is getting Carmelo Anthony. He fixed a lot of our holes. I don't see us trading for him though with his enormous contract but you never know.

Free agents: Would like pau gasol he shoots very well from 3 and field. Zbo, and Terrance Jones also available. 

But I agree with you we will prob hope for a glue guy like green to come

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:10:58 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This offseason is shaping up to leave us with a major hole in the PF position. We are losing amir and likely Olynyk plus there are no legitimate PF prospects where we will be drafting. In addition to that I think the Celtics most likely free agent  target is Gordon Hayward who is a SF.

Thus the only avenue I see the celtics going down is trading for a PF with a combination of picks/players.

I think Jamychal Green or Gorgui Deng could be two great options if we are looking for defense and rebounding.  Another guy to watch out for is Jon Leuer on the Pistons. He's basically a better Olynyk. Those three guys could probably be had relatively cheaply and fit a huge need for us. The ultimate guy I would want us to trade for though is Porzingis I'd see if they bit on the 2017BKLN pick and filler.

Who is available? Taj Gibson?

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 12:46:11 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Who is available? Taj Gibson?

I wish we had Taj right now. I'll bet the Bulls do too, as he was their leading rebounder when they gave him away.

I like Taj. Doubt that little Brad does, though. Taj can't spread the floor>>>not a Stevens player despite the fact that he can rebound the crap out of the ball.

JaMychal Green can spread the floor, so he is a Stevens system player. Lucky for us that he can rebound well. Love to get him.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:33:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Trade targets: Melo (if it's possible to trade Amir and Jerebko on draft night to match salaries with Bradley and 3 of our second round picks this draft, or just simply absorb his salary by renouncing most of our free agents and just trade Bradley and those seconds for him, he would be on par with any of our star signings IMO)
Free Agents (realistic ones, Pau and Blake aren't going anywhere) : Ja Mychal Green (for anything not over ten million a year) and Ersan Ilyasova (around eight million a year on a short term deal would be nice).

We can have a potential lineup of:
PG: IT,Rozier,Jackson
SG:Smart,Fultz,Young
SF: Crowder,Brown,G.Green
PF:Melo,J.Green/Ilyasova,Yabusele
C: Horford, Zizic, any vet that comes for little ala Mo Speights
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:59:30 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Trade targets: Melo (if it's possible to trade Amir and Jerebko on draft night to match salaries with Bradley and 3 of our second round picks this draft, or just simply absorb his salary by renouncing most of our free agents and just trade Bradley and those seconds for him, he would be on par with any of our star signings IMO)
Free Agents (realistic ones, Pau and Blake aren't going anywhere) : Ja Mychal Green (for anything not over ten million a year) and Ersan Ilyasova (around eight million a year on a short term deal would be nice).

I wouldn't be so sure that Blake will be staying, if they don't get past the 2nd round.

I would secure cap space for Max free agents before spending elsewhere. Millsap is an alternative choice for a Max PF spot. Maybe we can offer him Dwayne Wade type deal (20-23m/2-3 yrs)

For bench fillers, these players would probably available on the radar for MLE and min type deals:

Zach Randolph
Marreese Speights
Nichola Mirotic
Danilo Gallanari
Andre Iguodala
Ersan Illyasova
Spencer Hawes
Aron Baynes
James Johnson
Luke Babbit
Robert Covington

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 02:12:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I wouldn't be so sure that Blake will be staying, if they don't get past the 2nd round.

I would secure cap space for Max free agents before spending elsewhere. Millsap is an alternative choice for a Max PF spot. Maybe we can offer him Dwayne Wade type deal (20-23m/2-3 yrs)

For bench fillers, these players would probably available on the radar for MLE and min type deals:

Zach Randolph
Marreese Speights
Nichola Mirotic
Danilo Gallanari
Andre Iguodala
Ersan Illyasova
Spencer Hawes
Aron Baynes
James Johnson
Luke Babbit
Robert Covington
Wow nice list. For Milsap I really don't want him because he's not good enough to single handedly fix any of our issues (though he does a great job of mitigating most of them) and he's not really aging well while Melo still looks to be aging ok and he fills one of our glaring needs :scoring. He also mitigates rebounding to a certain extent and he can play some defense when he's motivated to. Also I think he would be the marquee addition we need from FA so I think we just need to sign a few vets to mentor the rookies and right the ship when the going gets tough. Btw assume we do the moves I've outlined above. How much more cap space would we have to sign one of those guys with the MLE? (would love to sign Speights or Baynes for cheap)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We have 3 2nd round picks this year. Maybe harry Giles falls more than expected? Jordan bell from Oregon is within our pick range as well.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 04:24:25 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Zach Randolph
Marreese Speights
Nichola Mirotic
Danilo Gallanari
Andre Iguodala
Ersan Illyasova
Spencer Hawes
Aron Baynes
James Johnson
Luke Babbit
Robert Covington
Wow nice list. For Milsap I really don't want him because he's not good enough to single handedly fix any of our issues (though he does a great job of mitigating most of them) and he's not really aging well while Melo still looks to be aging ok and he fills one of our glaring needs :scoring. He also mitigates rebounding to a certain extent and he can play some defense when he's motivated to. Also I think he would be the marquee addition we need from FA so I think we just need to sign a few vets to mentor the rookies and right the ship when the going gets tough. Btw assume we do the moves I've outlined above. How much more cap space would we have to sign one of those guys with the MLE? (would love to sign Speights or Baynes for cheap)

Even over the cap, Celtics can sign up players with the MLE and min as long as it doesn't reach the luxury tax line of $122m. .That however could cripple the ability to resign IT for a max or near max deal. Cavs for example, can no longer sign any free agent aside from min because they are already over the limit with the luxury tax line.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 06:36:37 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Wouldn't mind Ilyasova in Boston if we can't land a bigger fish. Probably wouldn't cost us as much as some of the other guys and he can both rebound and knock down a three.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 07:09:30 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Wouldn't mind Ilyasova in Boston if we can't land a bigger fish. Probably wouldn't cost us as much as some of the other guys and he can both rebound and knock down a three.
I'd go after Ilyasova for the sole reason that he seems to obliterate the C's every time he faces them.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'd go after Ilyasova for the sole reason that he seems to obliterate the C's every time he faces them.
He's my second option in FA after JaMychal Green, just a consummate professional and a consistent guy night in and night out
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Truer words have never been spoken on this blog.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Zach Randolph
Marreese Speights
Nichola Mirotic
Danilo Gallanari
Andre Iguodala
Ersan Illyasova
Spencer Hawes
Aron Baynes
James Johnson
Luke Babbit
Robert Covington

Even over the cap, Celtics can sign up players with the MLE and min as long as it doesn't reach the luxury tax line of $122m. .That however could cripple the ability to resign IT for a max or near max deal. Cavs for example, can no longer sign any free agent aside from min because they are already over the limit with the luxury tax line.

It's a bit more complicated than that. The MLE ($8.4 million next year) os available to teams that are over the cap, below the tax line, and did not use any cap space. If we are over the tax line, we will be limited to the taxpayer's mini mid-level exception (worth $5.2 million next year), and if we use cap space (which is the most likely situation) we will only have the Room Exception (worth $4.3 million next year).

It's a lot harder to sign impact players for $4.3 million than it is for $8.4 million.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It isn't. Amir and Jerebko are expiring contracts, so they are not available for trading this offseason (they can be sign-and-traded, but given the restrictons on sign-and-trade contracts and the difficulty of matching salaries with them, that will not happen). Zeller's grandfathered-in $8 million expiring is, but he will likely be waived before any trade could happen (Danny will not sacrifice all of our cap space and a chance at Hayward or Griffin to trade Bradley for Melo on draft night).

If we do trade for Melo, it would be after wiffing on all max FAs, and would be to absorb him into cap space. We wouldn't be giving up a good player/trade chip like Bradley for him
I'm bitter.