Author Topic: Stevens isn't the answer  (Read 8432 times)

Re: Stevens isn't the answer
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Stevens is Definitely the answer.. The youth of this team is the future.. Brown, Smart 17 and possibly 18..  This is why we signed CBS for as long as we did.. DA knew this team was not on par with the Elite teams in the league..  Adding cousins was not going to make our guards taller.. and on-top of that to Ignore the fact that he is an emotional train-wreck who cant keep his feelings in check is beyond desperate..

IF you were honest with yourself you would know that regardless of seeding - the Bulls were a better PLAYOFF team than us.. PLAYOFF Rondo is better than anybody on our team.. You saw the guy Basically coaching the team on the sideline - leading like he lead Paul, KG and Ray..Experience in the playoffs trumps all..  Wade has been to the promised land multiple times... They have bigger, tougher bigs than we have, They have a Star Closer, multiple Scoring options who can create their own shots.. What did we think was going to happen in this series..

This is not Stevens fault.. We need ELITE Talent that we can grow into champions..  Brown was a start..

PS the Bulls are not a contender..  Beating them will/would not have put us any closer to anything important..

How good of a future are our young people though?  The Brooklyn picks are still unknowns and I won't get into the controversy about whether Danny is a 'bad drafter', but we should all be able to agree that drafting isn't his strongest suit.  I'd say he's gone 1 out of 2 so far in the top 6.

Let's be real.  The Bucks, Wolves and even Philly with their picks look like they have brighter future cores than ours.  The Sixers could have two top 5 picks this year, and let's not forget Embiid and Simmons both have higher upside than anyone on our entire roster. 

I love Smart's D but offense is simply more important, and Smart is bad at it.  He's less of a prospect than Wiggins, he's probably less of a prospect than Middleton.  Jaylen is less of a prospect than Towns and the Greek Freak both.  That doesn't even include Lavine's upside, another Wolves lotto pick in a deep draft, Jabari Parker, Maker, & Brogdon (who owns us).

Even if the future is out time, and even if we pick the BPA with both picks (however high they turn out to be) - can we really say in early 2017 that we have a top 5 young core/asset pool?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ok look, now that Rondo is out. This series is on Stevens.

He's got to figure out a gameplan and motivate these guys to win this series. He's been given a gift.

If he can't pull this team out of this series, I have some serious questions whether he is a NBA coach ready to go to the next level. Good regular season coach, but the playoffs are where the money is and where adjustments are made.

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Ok look, now that Rondo is out. This series is on Stevens.

He's got to figure out a gameplan and motivate these guys to win this series. He's been given a gift.

If he can't pull this team out of this series, I have some serious questions whether he is a NBA coach ready to go to the next level. Good regular season coach, but the playoffs are where the money is and where adjustments are made.

Stevens did make adjustments last postseason by inserting Jerebko into the starting lineup over Sullinger after the Celts dropped games 1 and 2 to Atlanta, which helped us come back and win games 3 and 4.  I think Stevens is capable of making adjustments, I think it may actually be one of his strong suits.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ok great, if we are shooting brick after brick from 3, then that's when I want adjustments...not just with the starting lineup. When the other team is making crazy runs, that's when I would like to see adjustments.

I'm not blaming him, I just want to see something different from the players.

We can tell when a coach loses a game (see the Pacers) and when the players lose a game (see game 2)

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Losing is acceptable as long as you put up a fight.
There was no fight the first 2 games (except first 5mn of game 2).
I know they face emotional adversity plus a team that is playing way better than what they supposed to, but go and fight, come on Cs, show us what you got !!!

Actually there was fighting...amongst the Celtics themselves.

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2017, 12:48:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not gonna read the entire thread so forgive any repetition of other people's thoughts.

Brad Stevens has limited playoff experience.  Hoiberg has outcoached him so far which is saying as lot b/c Hoiberg is not a great coach.

That said, it is ridiculous to get rid of Stevens.  With very little talent, he has improved the team's win total for 3 years in row and then got the #1 seed this year with 53 wins.  That is darn good for a brand-new NBA coach.

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
It is amazing how it has been objectively proven that being over-reactionary and firing/dumping everyone at the first sign of trouble is what every joke franchise does in all sports.  The good franchises in all sports maintain stability and continuity and work to get better through adversity.  Ainge and Stevens are both smart, talented, and know what they are doing.  I want them in charge of the Celtics for as long as possible.  Quick fix fires are always a short-sighted mirage, but keyboard warriors will call for them after every loss regardless of the objective evidence that it is wildly ineffective.

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What was the question?
Yup

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 01:01:57 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur