Author Topic: How Good is Our Future, Really?  (Read 6483 times)

How Good is Our Future, Really?
« on: April 21, 2017, 12:10:01 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I posted a majority of this comment on another thread, but realized it was kind of off-topic.

I see a lot of talk on the Blog about how the future is our time.  Names like Jaylen, Smart, both Nets picks, and sometimes Rozier get thrown out there.  And I don't disagree.  However...

How good of a future are our young people/assets, really?  The Nets picks are still unknowns and I won't enter the controversy about Danny being a 'bad drafter', but we should all be able to agree that drafting isn't his strongest suit.  I'd say he's gone 1 for 2  in the top 6 so far.

Let's be real.  The Bucks, Wolves and even Philly with their picks look like they may have brighter future cores than ours.  The Sixers could own two top 5 picks this year, and let's not forget Embiid and Simmons both have higher upside than anyone on our entire roster. 

I love Smart's D but offense is simply more important, and Smart is bad at it.  He's less of a prospect than Wiggins; he's probably less of a prospect than Middleton.  Jaylen is less of a prospect than both Towns and the Greek Freak.  And that doesn't even include Lavine's upside, a Wolves lotto pick in a deep draft, Jabari Parker, Maker, & Brogdon (who owns us).

Even if the future is our time, and even if we pick the BPA with both picks (however high they turn out to be) - can we really say in early 2017 that we have a top 3 young core/asset pool?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: How Good is Our Future, Really?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I posted a majority of this comment on another thread, but realized it was kind of off-topic.

I see a lot of talk on the Blog about how the future is our time.  Names like Jaylen, Smart, both Nets picks, and sometimes Rozier get thrown out there.  And I don't disagree.  However...

How good of a future are our young people/assets, really?  The Nets picks are still unknowns and I won't enter the controversy about Danny being a 'bad drafter', but we should all be able to agree that drafting isn't his strongest suit.  I'd say he's gone 1 for 2  in the top 6 so far.

Let's be real.  The Bucks, Wolves and even Philly with their picks look like they may have brighter future cores than ours.  The Sixers could own two top 5 picks this year, and let's not forget Embiid and Simmons both have higher upside than anyone on our entire roster. 

I love Smart's D but offense is simply more important, and Smart is bad at it.  He's less of a prospect than Wiggins; he's probably less of a prospect than Middleton.  Jaylen is less of a prospect than both Towns and the Greek Freak.  And that doesn't even include Lavine's upside, a Wolves lotto pick in a deep draft, Jabari Parker, Maker, & Brogdon (who owns us).

Even if the future is our time, and even if we pick the BPA with both picks (however high they turn out to be) - can we really say in early 2017 that we have a top 3 young core/asset pool?

Good questions, one and all.

I, too, am less than sold on the future of this franchise, particularly if the draft is where we end up putting all our marbles because Ainge lacks the fortitude to deal.

His draft record, wildly distorted on this this blog by his supporters, simply isn't good enough to warrant my faith.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

I, too, am less than sold on the future of this franchise, particularly if the draft is where we end up putting all our marbles because Ainge lacks the fortitude to deal.

His draft record, wildly distorted on this this blog by his supporters, simply isn't good enough to warrant my faith.

LOL.

We all know that if you were running things we would be hunting banner 22 right now.

Ainge is a clear cut, no debate, top 5 GM in this league.

Your constant whining on the matter gets quite old.

Who did you think Danny needed to pick in this draft again?

when you compare anyone to perfection it is easy to pick at their faults.

"Ainge lacks the fortitude to deal"?

That is legitimately one of the most foolish things I have ever read on this board.

His nickname is trader Danny, but he lacks the fortitude to deal?

What?

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's talk about it this way:

Imagine that the Celts roster was a bunch of veteran expiring contracts and the following guys:

- Jaylen Brown
- Marcus Smart
- Terry Rozier
- Jordan Mickey
- Demetrius Jackson

That means next year you'd have those guys, plus the following:

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- A couple second round picks from the 50-60 range
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele

Simply going on that, how would you feel our group of young assets stacks up to teams like Minnesota, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Sacramento, Orlando, LAL?

Of course, we can also look forward to 2018 BRK and 2018 BOS 1sts, as well as that Grizz pick, whenever we get it, and a 2019 Clips pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

LOL.

We all know that if you were running things we would be hunting banner 22 right now.

That is legitimately one of the most foolish things I have ever read on this board.

What?

Can we have Coachbo post without people immediately attacking him (or her, don't want to be presumptuous.) Sure he is a bit more pessimistic than the average CBer, but every board needs that. And this is coming from someone on the other side of the Jaylen fence as him.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
- Jaylen Brown
- Marcus Smart
- Terry Rozier
- Jordan Mickey
- Demetrius Jackson

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele
As far as I am concerned, this list has 2 role players, 2 NBDL players, 3 unknowns, and a bunch of picks. It's not a bad haul to have in your back pocket, but there isn't one item I can point at here and say without reservations that it's the real thing.

Building a successful team takes a lot more than individual talent, but I too seem to think that the future is not as bright it might seem, considering how our current "young veteran core" has bombed so far.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele

After watching the Red Claws in the playoffs, I am astounded that folks think Yabusele is going to a major force anytime soon.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele

After watching the Red Claws in the playoffs, I am astounded that folks think Yabusele is going to a major force anytime soon.

Yeah, I'm not convinced he's an NBA player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:25:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
- Jaylen Brown
- Marcus Smart
- Terry Rozier
- Jordan Mickey
- Demetrius Jackson

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele
As far as I am concerned, this list has 2 role players, 2 NBDL players, 3 unknowns, and a bunch of picks. It's not a bad haul to have in your back pocket, but there isn't one item I can point at here and say without reservations that it's the real thing.

Building a successful team takes a lot more than individual talent, but I too seem to think that the future is not as bright it might seem, considering how our current "young veteran core" has bombed so far.

Personally I look at that list and feel it's a decent enough starting point.  Still, you're right that other than Jaylen Brown and the top 4 2017 pick, it's rather slim pickings.

If you sent out a starting lineup next season of Smart, Brown, Nets 2017, Rozier/Mickey, and Zizic, I think that team would have a difficult time getting to 15 wins.

Nonetheless, the Celts are in a position where they can try to juice this current group into a contender, or they can sell off the win-now assets they have and go all-in on youth. 

While the youth and picks the team has right now wouldn't be enough to make a future contender, it's not a bad starting point if the team had to go for a youth movement.  I'd say it would be kinda like beginning a rebuild a few years in as opposed to having to start entirely from scratch and totally tank for 3-4 years to build a talent base.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

LOL.

What?
TP for calling him on his BS.  always a put down but never a solution offered.

Danny Ainge may be a number of things but afraid to make a deal he is not. 

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele

yes, let's wait and see on zizic and yabusele. they both look to have promise, but we really wont know for another 2-3 years.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
- Jaylen Brown
- Marcus Smart
- Terry Rozier
- Jordan Mickey
- Demetrius Jackson

- Top 4 2017 pick
- #36 2017
- Ante Zizic
- Guerschon Yabusele

Personally I look at that list and feel it's a decent enough starting point.  Still, you're right that other than Jaylen Brown and the top 4 2017 pick, it's rather slim pickings.

If you sent out a starting lineup next season of Smart, Brown, Nets 2017, Rozier/Mickey, and Zizic, I think that team would have a difficult time getting to 15 wins.

Nonetheless, the Celts are in a position where they can try to juice this current group into a contender, or they can sell off the win-now assets they have and go all-in on youth. 

While the youth and picks the team has right now wouldn't be enough to make a future contender, it's not a bad starting point if the team had to go for a youth movement.  I'd say it would be kinda like beginning a rebuild a few years in as opposed to having to start entirely from scratch and totally tank for 3-4 years to build a talent base.
My point is that on the asset front, there's nothing to point at and say that it's worth building around. This may well change with the current draft, but I feel that our success is largely predicated on how good the current core can be down the road... and the current core has whiffed pretty badly when it has mattered... at least so far.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

LOL.

What?

Can we have Coachbo post without people immediately attacking him (or her, don't want to be presumptuous.) Sure he is a bit more pessimistic than the average CBer, but every board needs that. And this is coming from someone on the other side of the Jaylen fence as him.

"A bit more pessimistic"

lol, that is like saying mount everest is just a hill.

Saying Ainge "lacks the fortitude to deal" is an absolutely rediculous thing to say, and should be called out.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Let's see.

50 win team
Flexibility up to a max player in terms of cap
top 4 pick this year.
Another lotto pick next year without having to tank. 

I am good with the current future. 

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Let's see.

50 win team
Flexibility up to a max player in terms of cap
top 4 pick this year.
Another lotto pick next year without having to tank. 

I am good with the current future.

But if the C's get swept by the Bulls or lose to the #8 seeded Bulls, free agents will not want to come play for Boston- they simply suck and are overrated. That leaves us with lottery luck.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)