Author Topic: How Good is Our Future, Really?  (Read 6534 times)

Re: How Good is Our Future, Really?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's funny to me how fans covet those high draft choices so much, but now that we have them, those same fans look down on those picks like trash.

I mean hello??  We picked #6, then #3, and we have the best chance at #1 overall this year.

Next year is probably going to be a top 4-6 pick as well.

You can't ask for much more in terms of high draft picks.

AND we are winning and in the playoffs two years in a row now WHILE having those high draft choices.

The Future is as bright as any NBA team out there. 
I'd rather be us than the Sixers or the Lakers right now.

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I posted a majority of this comment on another thread, but realized it was kind of off-topic.

I see a lot of talk on the Blog about how the future is our time.  Names like Jaylen, Smart, both Nets picks, and sometimes Rozier get thrown out there.  And I don't disagree.  However...

How good of a future are our young people/assets, really?  The Nets picks are still unknowns and I won't enter the controversy about Danny being a 'bad drafter', but we should all be able to agree that drafting isn't his strongest suit.  I'd say he's gone 1 for 2  in the top 6 so far.

Let's be real.  The Bucks, Wolves and even Philly with their picks look like they may have brighter future cores than ours.  The Sixers could own two top 5 picks this year, and let's not forget Embiid and Simmons both have higher upside than anyone on our entire roster. 

I love Smart's D but offense is simply more important, and Smart is bad at it.  He's less of a prospect than Wiggins; he's probably less of a prospect than Middleton.  Jaylen is less of a prospect than both Towns and the Greek Freak.  And that doesn't even include Lavine's upside, a Wolves lotto pick in a deep draft, Jabari Parker, Maker, & Brogdon (who owns us).

Even if the future is our time, and even if we pick the BPA with both picks (however high they turn out to be) - can we really say in early 2017 that we have a top 3 young core/asset pool?

Good questions, one and all.

I, too, am less than sold on the future of this franchise, particularly if the draft is where we end up putting all our marbles because Ainge lacks the fortitude to deal.

His draft record, wildly distorted on this this blog by his supporters, simply isn't good enough to warrant my faith.

Didn't Ainge trade the 5th pick for Ray Allen, thus acquiring KG and winning a championship in the SAME season? Did you forget about this?

His draft record simply isn't good enough to warrant your faith? Jeepers.

I liked the JB, Smart, and Avery drafts. I hated the KO pick and was wishy washy on Rozier. He had some clunkers before this but the positioning wasn't great to pick a star. Yes, GS and Milwaukee made better picks with Draymond and Green. A lot of other teams feel this way.

Fultz, Josh Jackson, or Tatum will be available. I'm happy with any of them. Then we'll have a chance to do the same thing next year, this time with bigs in the top 5.

What is wrong with this scenario?

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I posted a majority of this comment on another thread, but realized it was kind of off-topic.

I see a lot of talk on the Blog about how the future is our time.  Names like Jaylen, Smart, both Nets picks, and sometimes Rozier get thrown out there.  And I don't disagree.  However...

How good of a future are our young people/assets, really?  The Nets picks are still unknowns and I won't enter the controversy about Danny being a 'bad drafter', but we should all be able to agree that drafting isn't his strongest suit.  I'd say he's gone 1 for 2  in the top 6 so far.

Let's be real.  The Bucks, Wolves and even Philly with their picks look like they may have brighter future cores than ours.  The Sixers could own two top 5 picks this year, and let's not forget Embiid and Simmons both have higher upside than anyone on our entire roster. 

I love Smart's D but offense is simply more important, and Smart is bad at it.  He's less of a prospect than Wiggins; he's probably less of a prospect than Middleton.  Jaylen is less of a prospect than both Towns and the Greek Freak.  And that doesn't even include Lavine's upside, a Wolves lotto pick in a deep draft, Jabari Parker, Maker, & Brogdon (who owns us).

Even if the future is our time, and even if we pick the BPA with both picks (however high they turn out to be) - can we really say in early 2017 that we have a top 3 young core/asset pool?

Compare us to Philly. In my reading of the situation, Smart is still an elite prospect, because he's becoming Ron Artest 2.0, which is valuable. Let's say that Philly doesn't get LA's pick, their top assets are:

Embiid
Saric
Simmons
Philly '17 pick
Philly '18 pick

Ours are:

Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Ante Zizic
Brooklyn '17 pick
Brooklyn '18 pick

I think our top 5 assets and theirs are close in value. Imagine the opportunity to put up stats that any/all of Smart/Brown/Zizic would have had on Philly's dreadful roster. Embiid and Simmons being injury-prone is something to think about, too.
you may be spot on. but, as greece666 used to say, prediction is difficult, especially about the future.

for example, what were the early predictions about okafur? about noel? i see your list for philly and perhaps it will all pan out, giving them multiple all stars. but i also think the player ceilings might turn out something such as this:

embiid - injuries make him oden 2.0, or limit his abilities
saric - a great rotation guy, but not a go-to guy on a top quality team
simmons - great passer who cannot play defense, is timid in scoring, medicore rebounder, and cant shoot. ala some of the cb predictions for smart - valuable, but flawed rotation player.
Philly picks in 17 and 18...see noel and okafur above. the lottery is really is a gamble and thus far philly is batting .500, tops.

philly might be sitting pretty in 5 years. but it is not a lock. conversely, philly might have a handful of talented but flawed players with important limitations. let's wait and see.  ;D
Embiid has already shown himself to be a 2 way dominant center so it is all about his health.  I expect Saric will just top out as a good role player not a star.  I don't see a basis for saying Simmons will be timid in scoring or a mediocre rebounder.  He averaged 19.2 pts, 9 ftas and 11.9 rebs in college.  He also can play defense but he just didn't put forth the effort a lot of the time.  Coach Brown and Embiid won't let him get away with that.  The success of Giannis running the Bucks offense bodes well for Simmons since he's a much better passer and ball handler.  Besides their own 2 picks the Sixers also get the Lakers pick either 4th-6th this year or unprotected next year.  When you've got a lot of picks, hitting on 50% works out pretty well. 

As for us, we really need to get Fultz because Embiid, Simmons and Saric are >>>>  Smart, Brown and Zizic. 

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Embiid and Simmons have played how many games out of the games possible?

Embiid 31/164
Simmons 0/82

And how did the Sixers do this year?
28-54

Celtics?
53-29

Grass is always greener guys.

Even with the Celtics sitting on the top chances of the #1 overall pick in the draft.

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
If the object of the exercise is to have a legit 8-10 year championship contender , then I don't see it unless one of the picks in this years draft becomes a top 20 level player , and that is going to take a few years to happen , sucks that after Danny's fleecing of Billy King that there isn't a Hakeem or Shaq level big man that is at the end of the rainbow for the C's to draft , History shows that you need 2-3 all star level players on your roster to compete for championships year after year.
As has been stated earlier in this thread ,losing the coin toss with Utah in 2014 and not moving up in the draft and only coming away with Smart at 6 blows, not having a tier one prospect to draft at 3 last year blows.
As great a GM as he is Ainge in being patient and winning so many of his trades over the years, sucks for him that the C's just haven't been lucky with the timeline of the Brooklyn picks.
Having multiple guys being top 5 at their positions and stepping up in the playoffs at this stage is a big pipe dream. So as far a being a championship level contender I don't see it for a good few years, I wouldn't be surprised if on the current roster there may be only 2 or 3 guys left over when the team gets to that level again.
Won't stop me from watching though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:35:52 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Embiid 31/164
Simmons 0/82

28-54

Celtics?
53-29

Even with the Celtics sitting on the top chances of the #1 overall pick in the draft.

It's even worse than you noted. Being Embiiid's 3rd year, he has actually only played in 31/246. Embiid is awesome if healthy, but that is a monumental 'if.'

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 06:24:17 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
The future is unknown for every team, so all we can base it off of are assets and odds. 

It's possible that Durant opts out next year, Curry gets like $30m/year and then gets injured. 

Based  upon our players, their contracts, and upcoming projected assets, our team is almost guaranteed to win a minimum of 45 games/year, and has good as odds of competing for a championship in 2 to 3 years as any team in the East (as it stands now).  I too wish we had our superstar that could carry us in the playoffs, but I'm happy with our future. 

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 06:52:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Embiid 31/164
Simmons 0/82

28-54

Celtics?
53-29

To turn that around, the Sixers were able to go from 10 wins to 28 wins even though Embiid only played 31 games, Simmons played ZERO games and Bayless, an expected starter, only played 3 games.  They had TJ McConnell, a 2nd year undrafted player, as their starting PG.  Saric, Holmes and TLC showed significant improvement during the season.  The Sixers have a chance to be much improved next season. 

We do have the best chance at the #1 pick but even so that is only 25%.   The Sixers have a 14.7% chance at the #1 pick.  They also have a 53% chance of getting the Lakers pick (4th-6th). 

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Hard to say. Aside from being too early to tell with Jaylen Brown, but th rest of the young guys have no future stars among them. Good players all in Smart, Olynyk, and the rest, but no stars yet, but with a couple more shots with Nets picks. With so many top-10's, Danny should be expected to draft 1, maybe 2.

So far, we have who we got: KO, Smart, and Brown. Could even Chris Paul and Deandre Jordan push those 3 to anything?  Unless Brown pans out, I doubt it.

The surest thing is to trade picks for proven stars, but with short contracts for players/less team control, underpriced relative to cap rookie scale contracts and restricted free agency, it's tough to get value trading high picks.  So we keep swinging hoping for at least a star or two.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 08:55:42 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
We really need a superstar to have a chance of making the finals. We can be a little better than we are now with some quality draft picks and Brown developing nicely, but we would need to figure out who to re-sign. We are in good shape to make the playoffs every year.

We are also in good shape to trade to an elite talent, but it isn't clear what would be left for that talent to play with unless we go for old guys. It is one thing to trade the 6th pick for an older player. It is another to trade a potential #1 in an excellent draft. Trading that would really need someone in their prime back, like the Wiggins-Love trade.

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 09:04:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Great if we trade Bradley , KO,  Crowder , for ONE decent player.

And wave or let about four  more go.

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
How Good is Our Future, Really?

I can say without question that Danny's plan for rebuilding the team is nearly completely on-track, and that the future of this franchise (while unknown) looks very, very promising.

They are going to be loaded with young, talented potential and a coach that was hired not just for his basketball savvy but for his player development ability.

We cannot possibly give Ainge and Zarren enough credit for putting this team in the positive situation they are in right now.

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Embiid 31/164
Simmons 0/82

28-54

Celtics?
53-29

To turn that around, the Sixers were able to go from 10 wins to 28 wins even though Embiid only played 31 games, Simmons played ZERO games and Bayless, an expected starter, only played 3 games.  They had TJ McConnell, a 2nd year undrafted player, as their starting PG.  Saric, Holmes and TLC showed significant improvement during the season.  The Sixers have a chance to be much improved next season. 

We do have the best chance at the #1 pick but even so that is only 25%.   The Sixers have a 14.7% chance at the #1 pick.  They also have a 53% chance of getting the Lakers pick (4th-6th).

Using Bayless as an argument means that it is very very weak.

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Our roster next season could include Fultz, Brown, Zizic, Smart, Rozier.  That is a pretty good stable of young players.  Plus we will also probably win in the range of 50 games but get a top 5 pick with any luck.

When most of the draft picks are 19 years old, it is tough to know what you have.  We don't need all of them to be big wins, we just need one or two to become top players.  The same thing Minnesota is hoping, the same thing Philadelphia is hoping.

There is a chance that Fultz becomes the next Westbrook (or whoever we pick becomes the next whoever) and that brown is the next Jimmy Butler and that Zizic becomes the next say Horford.  That could be a pretty good team in 4 or 5 years.  No guarantees, that is just how rebuilding works.  There is no pixie dust that grants you a sure fire rebuilding plan.

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 10:47:57 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Compare us to Philly. In my reading of the situation, Smart is still an elite prospect, because he's becoming Ron Artest 2.0, which is valuable. Let's say that Philly doesn't get LA's pick, their top assets are:

Embiid
Saric
Simmons
Philly '17 pick
Philly '18 pick

Ours are:

Marcus Smart
Jaylen Brown
Ante Zizic
Brooklyn '17 pick
Brooklyn '18 pick

I think our top 5 assets and theirs are close in value. Imagine the opportunity to put up stats that any/all of Smart/Brown/Zizic would have had on Philly's dreadful roster. Embiid and Simmons being injury-prone is something to think about, too.
you may be spot on. but, as greece666 used to say, prediction is difficult, especially about the future.

for example, what were the early predictions about okafur? about noel? i see your list for philly and perhaps it will all pan out, giving them multiple all stars. but i also think the player ceilings might turn out something such as this:

embiid - injuries make him oden 2.0, or limit his abilities
saric - a great rotation guy, but not a go-to guy on a top quality team
simmons - great passer who cannot play defense, is timid in scoring, medicore rebounder, and cant shoot. ala some of the cb predictions for smart - valuable, but flawed rotation player.
Philly picks in 17 and 18...see noel and okafur above. the lottery is really is a gamble and thus far philly is batting .500, tops.

philly might be sitting pretty in 5 years. but it is not a lock. conversely, philly might have a handful of talented but flawed players with important limitations. let's wait and see.  ;D
Embiid has already shown himself to be a 2 way dominant center so it is all about his health.  I expect Saric will just top out as a good role player not a star.  I don't see a basis for saying Simmons will be timid in scoring or a mediocre rebounder.  He averaged 19.2 pts, 9 ftas and 11.9 rebs in college.  He also can play defense but he just didn't put forth the effort a lot of the time.  Coach Brown and Embiid won't let him get away with that.  The success of Giannis running the Bucks offense bodes well for Simmons since he's a much better passer and ball handler.  Besides their own 2 picks the Sixers also get the Lakers pick either 4th-6th this year or unprotected next year.  When you've got a lot of picks, hitting on 50% works out pretty well. 

As for us, we really need to get Fultz because Embiid, Simmons and Saric are >>>>  Smart, Brown and Zizic.
good point, thanks for the reply and a tp.

just a bit more on simmons since, honestly, i have serious questions on parts of his game.

one of the hits on him in scouting reports, and it was confirmed by a handful of summer games (sss) was his shot is absolutely bad. as if we use college as an indicator (iffy to do so, but what the heck) at 3 point shooting, in 33 games simmons took THREE TOTAL three pointers, and made ONE. he shot FT at 67%, not terrible, not great. so yes, it is legitimate to raise questions about his shooting.

also, he is hesitant to play hard physical contact basketball. hence my question (and it is really that, a question) on his ability to rebound in the nba the same way he rebounded in college. plus he wont have the consistent height mismatches.

finally, defense, simmons, according to every report i have seen, is not good at it. now, you raise the fair point that he might improve since physically he has the ability to play better defense. you may be right. but again, my question (aiirt,aq) is how did the coaching staff and embiid do in teaching okafur how to play defense?

see? i am not contradicting your points, but i am posing questions, real legitimate questions, that have not been answered yet.

that is why i finished my original post here with the caveat that we all need to be patient and wait and see before coming to any conclusions.

p.s. personally, questions aside, i think your take on saric is probably spot on.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:56:55 AM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva