Author Topic: Would you trade for Marc Gasol ?  (Read 8228 times)

Re: Would you trade for Marc Gasol ?
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2017, 06:21:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If it involved us losing Big Al? Nope.

Big Al is nearly everything that Marc is already - and he's several years younger.

Getting The Haymaker from Utah will open up Big Al's game (and everyone else's) even more.

I love Marc's game but no thanks.

By several years, do you mean 18 months?

Math not being my best subject - YES.

I'd still take Big Al.

Every day and TWICE on Sundays. This mean I'd choose Big Al TWICE today.

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Big Al is nearly everything that Marc is already - and he's several years younger.

Getting The Haymaker from Utah will open up Big Al's game (and everyone else's) even more.

I'd still take Big Al.

You may take him, but that doesn't mean he's better. I love Horford, but I'm not sure he would've ever been on an all-star in the West. That's just the reality of it. Gasol is simply a superior player to Horford.

You could see Gasol vs Horford here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHt139FS6jI
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:28:36 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I'd still take Big Al.

You may take him, but that doesn't mean he's better. I love Horford, but I'm not sure he would've ever been on an all-star in the West. That's just the reality of it. Gasol is simply a superior player to Horford.

If Marc's your binkie, then sure.

Defensively he may be better but it's not that glaring, at least to me.

We've already been to the ECF with Big Al and I'd rather stand pat.

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'd still take Big Al.

I like both Gasol and Horford, but Gasol is the superior player now and considering the limited age difference it'll should remain that way for at least the life of Gasol's contract.

We made the ECF with Horford, but Horford really struggles vs Thompson. This has been the case since the Hawks days. That said, Gasol's 7'1" height and strength make him a nightmare for Thompson. It's such an issue that the Cavs usually send a help defender when Gasol gets a low post touch.

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd deal for Marc if we're sending out Al in the deal. I have strong concerns about playing them together, but it'd just be easier to match salary without giving up all of our depth.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I'd still take Big Al.

I like both Gasol and Horford, but Gasol is the superior player now and considering the limited age difference it'll should remain that way for at least the life of Gasol's contract.

We made the ECF with Horford, but Horford really struggles vs Thompson. This has been the case since the Hawks days. That said, Gasol's 7'1" height and strength make him a nightmare for Thompson. It's such an issue that the Cavs usually send a help defender when Gasol gets a low post touch.

Marc's the Real Deal.

But I'd still take Big Al.

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 08:54:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd deal for Marc if we're sending out Al in the deal. I have strong concerns about playing them together, but it'd just be easier to match salary without giving up all of our depth.

Agree. But Grizz have no reason to trade for Horford. Has to be 3 team deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:03 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Gasol would be an upgrade from Horford.

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2017, 09:22:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Gasol would be an upgrade from Horford.

In other news, grass is green.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The league is moving away from high paid low post slow  centers, and you're suggesting we get a highly paid low post slow center. Gasol is a joke

Gasol is slow but not a joke or a dinosaur. He often operates from the high post, is one of the best passing big men in the league, and is a strong interior defender. Basically he's Al Horford at the 5 spot. I agree that the salary matching we'd have to give up makes it hard to figure out a good deal, but he'd make us a lot better inside.
the modern 5 is fast, and is a perimeter defending. He is the opposite. His contract is bad too. He's old. Everything about gasol is the opposite of what we want

Yeah, I tend to agree. I mean, he is a good player, but I certainly wouldn't want Al and Gasol on the floor at the same time for a prolonged period of time.. If we are moving Al to PF (we shouldn't), then we need a Nerlens Noel type center who is quick and can switch on everything.

Also, I shudder to think about how crazy it would be to trade Crowder, Morris, AND Smart for Gasol  :o. Those guys provide enormous depth and versatility - something that Gasol does not. Like I said, if the difference in Horford's and Gasol's future salary determined whether we kept Smart or let him walk, then I would trade Al; otherwise, we should just roll with what we have.

On a related note, I think people are really underrating what Morris has to offer this team. We actually had to give up an additional asset, along with AB (I know, the extra year) to acquire him. He is a very good player and shouldn't just be lumped into trades as an 'extra'.

That's the beauty of it - you don't have to.  Al and Marc played 32 and 34 minutes last year.  They could both average those minutes while only sharing the court for 18 mpg.  The other 30 minutes you'd have a fresh star big on at all times.

As for Gasol and Al fitting together, is Gasol much slower than Amir? He's a better interior defender and I don't think he's any slower at this point.  And unlike Amir, he's an actual a threat on offense, meaning that teams can't just go small against us and force a lineup change without getting killed on defense. 

I wouldn't make the deal you listed (Crowder+Morris+Smart), but if Tatum and/or Brown show that they're ready to break out before the trade deadline then Crowder+Morris+Baynes+Rozier or Zizic would strengthen our frontcourt without a big downgrade to our wings. There would still be questions to answer, like who defends Lebron and who rebounds, but Brown and/or Tatum stepping up may answer those questions before the deal
I'm bitter.

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2017, 03:42:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No.

I would not trade for Marc Gasol under any circumstances EXCEPT in a case where we are getting him at an ridiculous bargain price in a trade that is dramatically one sided in our favour.

Marc Gasol is too much like Al Horford - jack of all trades/master of none, significant injury history, too old for the rest of our core, can score but isn't a dominant scorer, weak rebounder, etc.

Never been the greatest fan of Gasol's game - I've always seen him as the poor man's Pau in all honesty. 

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2017, 03:52:10 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The league is moving away from high paid low post slow  centers, and you're suggesting we get a highly paid low post slow center. Gasol is a joke

Gasol is slow but not a joke or a dinosaur. He often operates from the high post, is one of the best passing big men in the league, and is a strong interior defender. Basically he's Al Horford at the 5 spot. I agree that the salary matching we'd have to give up makes it hard to figure out a good deal, but he'd make us a lot better inside.
the modern 5 is fast, and is a perimeter defending. He is the opposite. His contract is bad too. He's old. Everything about gasol is the opposite of what we want

Yeah, I tend to agree. I mean, he is a good player, but I certainly wouldn't want Al and Gasol on the floor at the same time for a prolonged period of time.. If we are moving Al to PF (we shouldn't), then we need a Nerlens Noel type center who is quick and can switch on everything.

Also, I shudder to think about how crazy it would be to trade Crowder, Morris, AND Smart for Gasol  :o. Those guys provide enormous depth and versatility - something that Gasol does not. Like I said, if the difference in Horford's and Gasol's future salary determined whether we kept Smart or let him walk, then I would trade Al; otherwise, we should just roll with what we have.

On a related note, I think people are really underrating what Morris has to offer this team. We actually had to give up an additional asset, along with AB (I know, the extra year) to acquire him. He is a very good player and shouldn't just be lumped into trades as an 'extra'.

I think some people are massively (and I mean MASSIVELY) overrating what Morris has to offer.

He's a solid and versatile defender, which I think is his biggest strength.  Other then that he's a streaky and inconsistent scorer (who is just as likely to shoot you in to a hole as he is shoot you out of one), he's a poor decision maker who tends to make bad shot decisions, his an inconsistent and generally mediocre three point shooter, he's a weak rebounder, and the Morris Brothers hardly scream "high quality person". 

I think Morris could give us a lot of value as a streaky scorer and versatile defender off the bench - kind of like what we had from James Posey and Michael Pietrus in the past.  If anybody is expecting him to start at PF and give our starting lineup a massive boost, then I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Truthfully, I don't think Morris is any better overall then Kelly Olynyy as an overall player. 

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2017, 04:35:26 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I think some people are massively (and I mean MASSIVELY) overrating what Morris has to offer.

He's a solid and versatile defender, which I think is his biggest strength.  Other then that he's a streaky and inconsistent scorer (who is just as likely to shoot you in to a hole as he is shoot you out of one), he's a poor decision maker who tends to make bad shot decisions, his an inconsistent and generally mediocre three point shooter, he's a weak rebounder, and the Morris Brothers hardly scream "high quality person". 

I think Morris could give us a lot of value as a streaky scorer and versatile defender off the bench - kind of like what we had from James Posey and Michael Pietrus in the past.  If anybody is expecting him to start at PF and give our starting lineup a massive boost, then I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

Truthfully, I don't think Morris is any better overall then Kelly Olynyk as an overall player.

Agree with this fully.

So you like starting small with Crowder at the 4, or would you throw Tatum in the deep end; a bit like the Bucks did with Thon Maker? Or what else?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2017, 06:09:35 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Truthfully, I don't think Morris is any better overall then Kelly Olynyy as an overall player.
Sorry to continue with the off topic stuff, but I have to agree 100% with this.  Pietrus is a great comparison.  Morris won't be on Posey's level, and Olynyk is a better player than Morris.

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2017, 06:25:15 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm not sure we get any better by trading for Marc Gasol this year. Let's just say that Gasol and Al are a wash, even if Gasol is slightly better you have to build him into this system, something that we've just spent the better part of a year doing with Horford. So doing a straight up trade isn't worth it.

Doing Crowder, Morris ands Smart takes away all of our wing depth. Now we would be relying on rookies past Hayward. I don't think that helps us short term or long term.

You could keep Smart and replace him with Yab and Rozier and it makes a bit more sense but we are still thin on the wing.

Next summer we will almost certainly be a tax team so we won't be able to do sign and trades and we won't have the contracts to make a decent trade.

Overall it just seems like a high risk, low reward scenario to trade for him. I don't see why we would do it.