Author Topic: Would you trade for Marc Gasol ?  (Read 8233 times)

Re: Would you trade for Marc Gasol ?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
To match salaries we'd have to give up a lot

Has anyone even tried a hypothetical trade? We don't have expendable trade filler anymore. To start matching, we would need to begin with Crowder + Morris + Smart.

Crowder/Morris/Smart or Baynes/Zizic or Rozier would get it done salary-wise (although we'd have to wait until I think December 15th to trade Baynes).  If Tatum and/or Brown show signs of stepping up before the trade deadline, a Crowder/Morris/Baynes/Zizic or Rozier/Memphis 1st package could help us a lot
I'm bitter.

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Giving up a prime asset for an aging Marc Gasol would be equivalent to Brooklyn giving up prime assets for an aging Pierce & Garnett. A dumb move.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 01:09:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Not a fan of the pairing of Gasol and Horford. I'd pass. I'm more interested in Green for us than Gasol.

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Giving up a prime asset for an aging Marc Gasol would be equivalent to Brooklyn giving up prime assets for an aging Pierce & Garnett. A dumb move.

Except the Nets didn't give up a prime asset for the aging vets. Nor did they give up two. They gave three with the option of a fourth.

I think Gasol is too "old school" for this modern NBA we are at right now. He's a great 5, but can't really play alongside Horford.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2017, 01:17:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The league is moving away from high paid low post slow  centers, and you're suggesting we get a highly paid low post slow center. Gasol is a joke

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The league is moving away from high paid low post slow  centers, and you're suggesting we get a highly paid low post slow center. Gasol is a joke

He's hardly just a "highly paid low post slow center". He's making ~$22 million a year, which is about what AB should get next summer, is a good playmaker, and can stretch the floor with the 3 point shot he added last year. He's also a great interior defender, which helps nullify one of Al's weaknesses.

Obviously he's not worth trading a Brooklyn pick for, but for some of our lesser assets he could be a great addition
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 01:57:25 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

Gasol is slow but not a joke or a dinosaur. He often operates from the high post, is one of the best passing big men in the league, and is a strong interior defender. Basically he's Al Horford at the 5 spot. I agree that the salary matching we'd have to give up makes it hard to figure out a good deal, but he'd make us a lot better inside.

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 01:55:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Love Gasol but he is getting up there in age and big salary
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2017, 02:24:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Gasol is slow but not a joke or a dinosaur. He often operates from the high post, is one of the best passing big men in the league, and is a strong interior defender. Basically he's Al Horford at the 5 spot. I agree that the salary matching we'd have to give up makes it hard to figure out a good deal, but he'd make us a lot better inside.
the modern 5 is fast, and is a perimeter defending. He is the opposite. His contract is bad too. He's old. Everything about gasol is the opposite of what we want

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

the modern 5 is fast, and is a perimeter defending. He is the opposite. His contract is bad too. He's old. Everything about gasol is the opposite of what we want

Yeah, I tend to agree. I mean, he is a good player, but I certainly wouldn't want Al and Gasol on the floor at the same time for a prolonged period of time.. If we are moving Al to PF (we shouldn't), then we need a Nerlens Noel type center who is quick and can switch on everything.

Also, I shudder to think about how crazy it would be to trade Crowder, Morris, AND Smart for Gasol  :o. Those guys provide enormous depth and versatility - something that Gasol does not. Like I said, if the difference in Horford's and Gasol's future salary determined whether we kept Smart or let him walk, then I would trade Al; otherwise, we should just roll with what we have.

On a related note, I think people are really underrating what Morris has to offer this team. We actually had to give up an additional asset, along with AB (I know, the extra year) to acquire him. He is a very good player and shouldn't just be lumped into trades as an 'extra'.

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2017, 03:56:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Gasol is coming of an all-star season, is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, and operates offensively either inside or out (shot nearly 40% from 3's with 4.6 apg). This post is a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4f8xXRjvM

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Gasol is coming of an all-star season, is one of the best defensive bigs in the league, and operates offensively either inside or out (shot nearly 40% from 3's with 4.6 apg). This post is a joke.

yeah because he was the only legit option on his team.

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If it involved us losing Big Al? Nope.

Big Al is nearly everything that Marc is already - and he's several years younger.

Getting The Haymaker from Utah will open up Big Al's game (and everyone else's) even more.

I love Marc's game but no thanks.

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2017, 06:11:49 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
If it involved us losing Big Al? Nope.

Big Al is nearly everything that Marc is already - and he's several years younger.

Getting The Haymaker from Utah will open up Big Al's game (and everyone else's) even more.

I love Marc's game but no thanks.

By several years, do you mean 18 months?

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2017, 06:21:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

yeah because he was the only legit option on his team.

It's fairly obvious that you haven't seen Memphis much, if at all. So if he were the only legit option on the team, which I guess you haven't heard of a guy called Conley, wouldn't that make his ability to have the Grizz in the playoffs the last 6 seasons even more noteworthy?

In Gasol you're talking about a player that since the 2013 season has achieved the following:

3 all-star selections
1 defensive player of the year award
2 all-NBA teams (including a 1st team selection)

This is even better when you realize that 2 of those seasons he was limited with injuries.

I also don't think we have to worry much about him aging poorly. He's never been athletically reliant and he's always been a very cerebral player (great defense yet only commits 2.3 fouls per game) with a very high skill-set. Not to mention that brother Pau, who is 5 years older, is still a very productive NBA player. Marc just had career highs in points, assists, 3pt%, so unless he completely falls apart, he'll perform at a very high level over the remainder of his contract (3 years).