Author Topic: Would you trade for Marc Gasol ?  (Read 8226 times)

Re: Would you trade for Marc Gasol ?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
We pass on Cousins, but we take on an aging center with a troubling injury history?

Oy.

But c'mon, hey, he's a high character guy AND he's easy to coach.

That means a lot more to Little Brad than having to deal with the Boogie Man. ;)

Yeah. He couldn't possibly be wrong about turning the Garden into Little Butler, could he?

LOL.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 03:26:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This deserves to be bumped given all the reports that he is now open to a trade.

Personally, I feel we roll with Baynes and Ziziz and see if that is enough to compete. If this season falls apart in the playoffs, I would gladly give up an asset. Two years of a BARGAIN contract.

What say you?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 05:17:48 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
This deserves to be bumped given all the reports that he is now open to a trade.

Personally, I feel we roll with Baynes and Ziziz and see if that is enough to compete. If this season falls apart in the playoffs, I would gladly give up an asset. Two years of a BARGAIN contract.

What say you?
I would say that I'd love him but it's not a bargain contract. Given where the max is it's probably the right value for a player like Marc. To match salaries we'd have to give up a lot, realistically it's going to take one of our big three to match without giving up Brooklyn picks and that defeats the purpose.

I also think Al Horford is better suited to our team than Gasol, he can step further out on both ends and is just as good a passer.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 05:54:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No I'd stick with Horford.

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What say you?
I would say that I'd love him but it's not a bargain contract. Given where the max is it's probably the right value for a player like Marc. To match salaries we'd have to give up a lot, realistically it's going to take one of our big three to match without giving up Brooklyn picks and that defeats the purpose.

I also think Al Horford is better suited to our team than Gasol, he can step further out on both ends and is just as good a passer.
Al is a worse shooter than Gasol, and Gasol more than makes up for his weaker perimeter defense with his interior D and his better overall offensive game.

However, I do agree that the package required to get Marc wouldn't be a good one for us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 06:30:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

What say you?

Al is a worse shooter than Gasol, and Gasol more than makes up for his weaker perimeter defense with his interior D and his better overall offensive game.

However, I do agree that the package required to get Marc wouldn't be a good one for us.
I like Horford and Gasol together.  Horford can step out to the 3, is a great passer, while Gasol can defend the low post and hit a mid-range if that becomes the last option in an offensive set.  As others have said, it all depends on the package the C's would have to give. No high picks, no Tatum or Brown....go from there...

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 07:47:09 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
To match salaries we'd have to give up a lot

Has anyone even tried a hypothetical trade? We don't have expendable trade filler anymore. To start matching, we would need to begin with Crowder + Morris + Smart.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What say you?

I like Horford and Gasol together.  Horford can step out to the 3, is a great passer, while Gasol can defend the low post and hit a mid-range if that becomes the last option in an offensive set.  As others have said, it all depends on the package the C's would have to give. No high picks, no Tatum or Brown....go from there...

You seem to be selling Gasol's shooting short. He shot 38.8% from the 3 on 3.6 3PA per, while Horford shot 35.5% on the exact number of attempts.

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 11:47:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Depends , i could see him on the Celtics .

i d keep Al though. 

all these max money guys are pricing themselves out of a ring.

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 11:59:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think I'd rather keep Horford, but if the salary difference would allow us to keep Smart rather than let him walk next summer (save a few million/yr), then I would certainly be up for a 1 for 1 swap.

If we are going to sign Smart anyway or if Mem would require additional assets, I would pass.

As Dino mentioned, there is no conceivable scenario where we can keep Al and not trade away multiple very good players on value contracts.

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 12:17:20 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
No way you'd give up Al.

I was thinking a deal around Zizic, Rozier, Marcus,  and a bluechip pick...

This is a two year windows situation. The big risk being letting go a Marcus, who I think is on the verge...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
We pass on Cousins, but we take on an aging center with a troubling injury history?

Oy.

Not exactly. You failed to mention that we passed on a center with a troubling psyche history.

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No way you'd give up Al.

I was thinking a deal around Zizic, Rozier, Marcus,  and a bluechip pick...

This is a two year windows situation. The big risk being letting go a Marcus, who I think is on the verge...

Agreed.  Swapping Al for Marc doesn't make us much better (if it made us better at all), and he's a year and a half older.  I'd like to pair them if we don;t have to give up too much, but trading Al for him is a non-starter
I'm bitter.

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Marc salary matching alone is a nightmare and he's getting old. Pau is already tol old although he can ball on the Spurs

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
meh